Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Digger Questions

Trying to work out the smallest (rubber tracked) digger that can practically achieve a certain job.

I need to auger holes for gal UB or similar to retain (probably concrete) sleepers.

The holes will need to be about 900 deep but at a reach of about 1500 and at the bottom of a 900 batter. Basically, the machine would be parked at the top of a small slope reaching out to drill holes at the bottom of the slope. Ground is mostly sandy soil on top of sandstone.

“Smallest machine” aim is for not just least cost but access practicality, it will need to traverse existing pavers laid on a screeded bed and fit in a driveway with effective trafficable width about 2700.

I’m just at the stage of trying to scope everything entailed, it’s a multi-stage project and nothing is going to happen quickly. Informed advice on the likely tonnage of a suitable machine, would be greatly welcome. Plus, if anyone has a contact or small excavation business in Sydney north of the harbour, I’m also interested to hear from you.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: Digger Questions

What width are ya drilling the holes ? 300 mm ? Coates and Kennards have little 1.7t diggers that are surprisingly good with an auger. The reach may be an issue. Next one up is a 3 tonner but they need to be delivered where as the 1.7t you can tow yourself on there trailers...........
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Sorry, good question, yes 300s.

No desire to DIY, the “angle of the dangle” puts it firmly in expert territory. 3T was my gut feeling, but was hoping to hear smaller might do it...
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would get some quotes and if the wall is over a metre you will need it engineered at least thats the rule in south aus
Old 04-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Go the 3t, 1.5-7t don't have as much reach and with an allowable width 2.7m you have loads of room. I would get a heap of cheap ply sheets to put down on the pavers to avoid damage and movement.
Make sure the hire company has got decent teeth on the end of the auger as the sandstone could be slow going. Luckily you are only going down 900mm, so keep a jack hammer handy if you hit any harder layers.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Use a D8, it can make it's own access and level the slope.

Just chuck a tarp over the paving to protect it
Old 04-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Use a D8, it can make it's own access and level the slope.

Just chuck a tarp over the paving to protect it
D8 ?? and everything else including any building that get in the way.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Probably tending on the large side for a petite job.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Is it not possible to rent a post hole driller with a 300mm
diameter auger bit, add a 1.1m extention and do it with a bit of gusto? The bloke who did my fence used the same but only had to auger 600mm down and he was a pretty big unit so when it kicked he didnt get thrown. Pretty sure kennards rent them.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

They’re hard work at the best of times. If it was only a couple of holes to 600 deep, might be in the running - but it’s probably 15+ holes, and there would be some amount of rock.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 PM   #11
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I'd follow Ross 1's advice, being that it's a trade he's good at.

I've bought .9T digger, it has a post hole attachment I haven't tried yet, but I don't imagine it having more reach than 2 metres for an effective post hole being dug. I've got a couple of retaining walls to do in the future, which is when I'll learn the limitations of the post hole digger.

I've already found the limitations of a small machine against stands of bamboo.

It was very handy the other week, when I found a fly blown kangaroo at the bottom of our yard (and the reason the dogs weren't hanging around the house) so I could dig a grave.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Is it not possible to rent a post hole driller with a 300mm
diameter auger bit, add a 1.1m extention and do it with a bit of gusto? The bloke who did my fence used the same but only had to auger 600mm down and he was a pretty big unit so when it kicked he didnt get thrown. Pretty sure kennards rent them.
Would be fun when you got down to the sandstone bed. You might end up going for a quick spin.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Would be fun when you got down to the sandstone bed. You might end up going for a quick spin.
With the option of a fractured wrist or dislocated shoulder. I have a hand auger with a max width of 275mm but it has a safety cut out bar. If it grabs the bar hits your leg and kills the motor, leaves a decent welt on your thigh but better than a snapped wrist.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post