Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The worst kind of driver - arrogant and stupid

Just tonight on my way home from work about midnight - I'm driving along in a 60 zone at close to that speed when a guy pulls out of a servo - I'm thinking he'll pick the right lane as I'm in the left, but no - he sticks in the left lane so I jump on the brakes and drop to about 30km/h and give him some extra lighting to wake him up. Because he cut me off and slowed me down, I missed the lights. We both pull up at the lights and I eventually look to my right and see this guy looking at me as if to say "what is your problem?" So not only does he do the wrong thing, he has no idea that he's done it. He pulled out from the servo with me about 50 metres away - so he had 3 seconds tops to get his Mitsubishi Mirage up to 60km/h - in that time he barely managed to get it out onto the road. I was going to show him with hand gestures what he did (not with my middle finger), but he turned away - probably because his girlfriend told him to - at least one of them had brains. In this situation I'll usually sound the horn or use the high beams to indicate they've done the wrong thing and then move on muttering to myself what a f***wit the driver is. I don't attempt to threaten anyone or drive them off the road.

Some people seem to think that once you've turned onto a road - no matter how fast or slow you are going, that because you're in front, you're in the clear. If the car you just pulled in front of has to slam on the brakes, then you've done it wrong.

Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Sadly, this is the norm for everyday driving. There is so much stupidity on the roads these days, it makes me believe these drivers got their licence out of a cereal box.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

thats why you need speed (or wheel movement on the spot :P) before turning onto the road. but i guess only decent cars (namely Fords) can get up to speed quick enough
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

If it's a dual lane and your in the left lane, if he pulls out of the servo with his indicator on, shouldn't you just merge into the right lane to let the guy out and show some courtesy. Why should the guy have to pull out of the driveway and zip over to the right lane so it doesn't upset you....or slow you down...:

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 AM   #5
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7

If it's a dual lane and your in the left lane, if he pulls out of the servo with his indicator on, shouldn't you just merge into the right lane to let the guy out and show some courtesy. Why should the guy have to pull out of the driveway and zip over to the right lane so it doesn't upset you....or slow you down...:
maybe the dingus in the servo should wait one second before pulling out with on coming traffic.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8GRL
maybe the dingus in the servo should wait one second before pulling out with on coming traffic.

If it's a dual carriage way, whats the harm in moving to the far lane to give room..expecting another car to pull out of a driveway and cross two lanes is just silly.

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it's a dual carriage way, whats the harm in moving to the far lane to give room..expecting another car to pull out of a driveway and cross two lanes is just silly.

Cheers
Expecting to merge onto a road and let others give way to you is illegal.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 AM   #8
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:

Cheers
I do agree, I'm not saying he has to cross two lanes. I'm annoyed at drivers like these trying to beat traffic but just sit there. They're most likely going to do it too in traffic, where you can't move regardless if it is a dual carriage way. It's an accident waiting to happen because they are stupid.

If you want to pull out, then go, do not p!ss fart around.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

what if there was a car next to him on the dual carriageway meaning he cant change lane?
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers
Because I was turning left up ahead. Because I was already on the road. Because I had right of way. Why couldn't HE choose the right lane or even better - WAIT until it was actually safe to pull out from the servo into the left lane? Expecting me to slam on the brakes to accomodate his poorly executed manoevre is even more so silly. The traffic was light and there was nothing behind me, so he needed to only wait another 3 seconds. What I expect of other cars to not pull out in front of me forcing me to brake hard for starters. Not too much to expect I think.

If the positions were reversed, I would have either:
*Waited
*Chosen the right hand lane where there were no cars
*Stayed left and gunned it and he would never have caught me before I hit the speed limit.
*Made a gesture to apologise for my error if I did what he did
This would be normal, logical behaviour

This guy is probably one of those stupid people that steps out in front of a car and then abuses the driver for almost running him down.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 07-11-2006, 03:33 AM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchi
what if there was a car next to him on the dual carriageway meaning he cant change lane?
Normally a reaction to this is to hit the brakes and keep in your lane - if you look to your right to see if the lane next to you is clear and find out someone is there - that time used to do that has eaten into your braking distance and brings you closer to an accident. If it comes down to not being able to avoid hitting someone, rear ending the car at fault would be better than sideswiping a completely innocent motorist and risking sending them into oncoming traffic or a fixed object like a light pole.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 07-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had some moron do this the first night I picked up my WRX! Bloody hell I couldn't change lanes and there was no one behind me at all, why they couldn't of waited was beyond me.

My baby was nearly written off on the first day I bought it!

If I'm going to pull out in front of someone at least I've got the balls in my car to get to the speed limit in time, unlike most POS cars that don't.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

if you were on your driving test and you pulled out into a street and that forced other cars already on that street to apply their brakes, you would loose points.

I just think people overestimate their cars (and their own!) ability. he probably thought he would accelerate in time.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
EL_futuraistic

I encounter this on a regular basis. People pull out of side streets/shops/servo's into traffic and dont feel the need to get upto speed. If you pull out into traffic and the traffic has to slow down to accomodate you clearly it wasnt safe to be pulling out in the 1st place.

This is particularly evident on free onramps where people feel it ok to merge into 100km/h traffic at 60 or even less........:

Im not sure on the regulations but arent you supposed to keep to the left, and also if your entering a dual carridgeway you should giveway to oncomming traffic???
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was in my Ford I would have just thrown the stick back into 1st gear, planted my right foot and gone straight through the red light, covering him in a cloud of black smoke. Any car in the right lane can just get out of the way or bad luck to them.Thankfully, I don't drive it very often. :ticking:
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #16
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

black smoke or white/grey smoke ?? :P

people always do something wrong, we're only human none is perfect!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
black smoke or white/grey smoke ?? :P

people always do something wrong, we're only human no-one is perfect!
true, but normal people acknowledge their mistake and don't turn it back on the person they wronged.

Like once when I turned out from a small lane onto a road that was slightly uphill and lined with trees on a wet day. I cut it a little too close to the approaching car, but thought a healthy application of throttle would get me away. As the street was lined with trees and sunlight didn't hit the road enough, the road was slick and I had trouble getting traction - even for a wet road. I held the driver behind up as I tried to get up to speed in 1st, then 2nd and gestured by putting my hand up to apologise - so simple!
Not bad for a #2 driver