Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
HLC
Audi S3

Default Metallica - The NEW New Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snPAOzp2YOA

well Metallica have played another new song live, but this one has been preofessionally filmed with audio from the soundboard.

James's Lyrics are really great! woooh ooh yeah : hopefully he just hasnt written words yet so its gets better.

but what a strange progession for a band. from heavy metal > watered down metal/hard rock > st. anger (whatever you want to call it) > this punk type song?

Metallica should become a cover band of 80's Metallica.

Old 23-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Metallica should do less singing and more breaking up.

That is bad.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Metallica should do less singing and more breaking up.

That is bad.
Old 23-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
RATT

Easy tiger! Why should they break up? Because they don't sound like Kill'em all, Master of Puppets etc? Although I prefer that era also, I like the fact that Metallica can change, unlike most bands out there.

26 years and still going, I'd say they are still doing a great job.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

I know Ill get shot for saying it by most fans of them, but personally the only stuff of theirs I like is from Load - S&M. S&M is just awesome, Cunning Stunts was good too.

Im a very big fan of Jason Newsted's work, I have numerous items he's signed also so I try to keep up with what he's doing. But I dunno about his new stuff either...
Old 23-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
RATT

I certainly won't shoot you!

I love all their releases, although St Anger really tested that faith. S&M is probably their best work as it showcased their talent in terms of working with a 100 piece orchestra, as well as James Hetfield really showing his vocal range too.
Old 23-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a big Metallica fan. So its really hard for me to say this - but they sold out.

They lost what it was that made them Metallica in the first place. And sure if that was angst and addictions and struggles - then so be it. That also made their music.

That movie Some Kind of Monster - pathetic. I thought I would never see the day where I would watch a movie with Metallica going through therapy and having group hugs..........

I'll still listen to their music (often actually) through their entire catalogue - but I will not stick up for them or hold them in the same high regard I once did.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Sold out or not, the market has moved that way. Im a big fan of their Justice days, St. Anger was a fresh move back in the direction they needed to go, and its good so see they have some solo work back, but if thats their best, then im afraid they are not going to cut it.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Wait, just listened to the other new one, that rocked.
Quote:
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 23-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Easy tiger! Why should they break up? Because they don't sound like Kill'em all, Master of Puppets etc? Although I prefer that era also, I like the fact that Metallica can change, unlike most bands out there.

26 years and still going, I'd say they are still doing a great job.
I'll be the first to admit I'm only really a fan of the old stuff. I liked the Black album and after that it's only one or two songs. S&M was great. St Anger...errrr, it'd be ok in small doses if it wasn't for that drum set made of metal garbage cans.

For sure, good on them. But you've gotta wonder, how well would of St Anger sold if it wasn't Metallica?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I'd much prefer to listen to that then hip hop and rap ra ra.

Having said that, it is definitely a change compared to S&M and their earlier years. I won't comment any further until their new album is released.
Old 23-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
davro_xr6
HRN13 (formerly X-Rated)

Sorry - but I have to say regardless of whether it is cr*p (which it does come close to cr*p compared to what they have released through the years{black - master of puppets - load - reload the list goes on}) I would still prefer a cr*p metallica over any so-called brilliant, tear jerking, hetro-wannabe bands out there today!! Anything that Metallica does is GOLD in my mind!!
I say, rock on!!
Upgrades so far... : 2003 BA XT n/a 6 - Lowered 3" - Lovell Lowered Race Springs front & Rear - Pedders Sports Rider Shocks front and Rear - 18" x 8.5" AMG Akuza Mags - Pacemaker Headers - 2.5" Redback exhaust system - High flow cat - cat back - no muffler - Quck shifter kit - Typhoon CAI - custom stereo & boot install - Bonnet decal :
davro_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Better link to their new one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHXw...elated&search=
Quote:
Old 23-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Metallica could sing 'Mary had a little lamb' and I would still like it.
Good on em for still making music (or trying to) after all these years!
Old 23-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #15
FordFan86
meow

Please Lord, bring back 80's/90's metallica.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #16
Escapee
I reject your reality

Ill second the break up.
Honestly what crap. Wont be long till they sink to silverchairs level.

I still listen to my old metallica, but to me the band is dead already.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Sold out.....Naaahhh.

Moving along and exploring other styles and constantly evolving....Yeeaahhh

I like some of the songs on St Anger. I havent heard them all but the ones I have I LOVE. And they have a fair bit of feeling in them.

Sold out...I would post the video of them playing Last Caress and So What at the MTV awards but i think some people will get affended. If you know those songs youll see what i mean. I cant see how that is selling out can you? Instead of playing the scheduled song they played some awesome songs that are slightly offensive.

Some Kind of Moster: How is that pathetic? They had some serious issues that needed to be worked out. Alcoholism isnt a minor issue. And im sure you would want to solve it. And would also want to solve major problems between a preson who is like a brother to you.

And if you watch the film then youll know that James didnt even want then there. So its not like they were trying to get everyone to watch them struggle. I have huge respect for them for actually letting people see that.

I cant wait to get home (im stuck at work. sucks ***.) and listen to some new tracks.

New album should be awesome and hopefully they will tour again.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #18
RATT

So if Metallica did what AC/DC is doing, as in sounding pretty much the same all these years it would have been better right? I like AC/DC but find it all abit too repetitive.

Saying they should break up is a little harsh. How many bands last this long and still manage to write dscent music?
Old 23-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

im a bit undecided on it at this stage ......... as someone said earlier will have to wait till i get to hear the album...... it might just be 1 crap song if you get what i mean......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #20
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Sell outs? A rich band like Metallica? Nooo!

Quote:
Napster controversy (2000-2001)

In 2000, Metallica discovered that a demo of their song "I Disappear" was being distributed via the Napster P2P file-sharing network. Not only was the song unfinished, it was supposed to be released in combination with the Mission: Impossible II soundtrack.

They soon discovered that in addition to the demo, their entire catalogue was also freely available. The band initiated legal action against Napster and, in the process, demanded that 300,000 Napster users found to be trading Metallica songs be banned from the network. Legal actions were also started against Yale University, University of Southern California, and Indiana University for not blocking Napster from their campuses. In 2001, Metallica and Napster agreed to an out-of-court settlement which led to many Napster user accounts being locked out. The band did not take legal action against any individuals for copyright infringement. Lars Ulrich provided a statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee regarding copyright infringement on July 11, 2000.

The lawsuit created a public relations nightmare. Throughout the controversy, many websites hosted cartoon parodies of band members, portraying them as selfish rock stars who were out of touch with their fans. The most popular of these was a cartoon parody entitled Napster Bad!, by Camp Chaos, which spawned an entire series. Some critics mocked Ulrich by spelling his name as "Lar$". In retaliation to the controversy, Ulrich appeared during the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, in a skit with that years host Marlon Wayans, that blasted against fans' idea of using Napster to share music. Marlon was featured as a college student listening to Metallica's "I Disappear" (ironically to the idea that the demo version was being downloaded on Napster, and to the fact that it was Metallica's current big playing single on radio and MTV), and Lars walking in and from receiving Wayans' sharing excuse, interpreted the idea of sharing by being able to borrow anything that was yours without asking, can also be coined to the point of anything and Metallica roadcrew entered into the dorm room and conviscated everything, while slapping a Napster sticker onto everything, leaving Wayans with an empty room, and even clothless. Napster creator Shawn Fanning would respond by presenting an award wearing a Metallica shirt, to mock the controversy Ulrich and co. had ensued upon. Public ridicule was widespread as many longtime fans felt Metallica had got their start via underground trading of bootleg recordings of their performances[citation needed]. Metallica's defense was that Napster was allowing free access to their back catalogue and not live bootleg recordings which the band had always encouraged. The fan backlash would not be the only setback the band would experience that year.

Metallica, like a number of other bands, refused to sell their music on iTunes for a number of years. They finally ended this holdout on Tuesday, July 25, 2006, although only in the US and Canada.
Old 23-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #21
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee
Ill second the break up.
Honestly what crap. Wont be long till they sink to silverchairs level.

I still listen to my old metallica, but to me the band is dead already.
Exactly.

They're over the hill. They can't make good music without having some kind of addiction and they should just quit while people still remember there old stuff.

Quote:
So if Metallica did what AC/DC is doing, as in sounding pretty much the same all these years it would have been better right? I like AC/DC but find it all abit too repetitive.
Not everyone can pull that off.

Check out Mortician for a band that has the same formula every album, but it's brilliant.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #22
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I liked it
Old 23-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

ive been waiting for ages for a new album, i do also prefer the pre-black album days but they are dead and gone... good to see them still goin though, not many bands can say they've sold over 90 million albums over 26ish years... good stuff i say

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #24
Zephyr
Old rookie

Woooooowoooo
Yeaaaaah, yeah

It's alright but it aint Whiplash!
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #25
WHIPLASH
METALLICA and FORD FREAK

Cool

Well being a dead set METALLICA JUNKIE and a fan of old school metal, i dunno wat i would say about this song. could never come to the ranks of master of puppets or nothing else matters but still an alright song.

Also i have a song called THE DOOR by metallica, has any one else heard this song as i am not to sure if it is old or new ????

Little fox

Rolling back in my au forte
*18" xhp jetz
*alpine 4000watt audio
*tickford t3 bodykit

Still got a V8 but wanting to offload the shell if anyone is interested PM me.

(1993 EB body, some minor marks, full interior (electrics need attention) NO MOTOR, gearbox needs 5th. Make offer.

Also in the shed is a 3.9ltr straight six (1990 EA). headers, crow cam, 5spd manual included. may need minor rebuild. Again make offer

Last edited by WHIPLASH; 23-08-2006 at 07:13 PM.
WHIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #26
HSE2

Interesting. I thought James stuggled. When is the album due?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #27
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Sold out or not, the market has moved that way.
My exact point! So what if the market moves or shifts - they sold out by trying to match that - by cutting their song lengths down to make them radio friendly, by trying to stay hip and cool for the teenage demographic so they buy their albums. Its wrong and it wasnt Metallica. They were THE anti establishment band (Kill Em All was meant to be Metal up your a$$ as an album title for example).

Blue Raven thanks for bringing up Napster - add it to the list of poor form by Metallica.

I saw them when they toured for St Anger (and at Gold Coast Big Day Out) - both setlists were heavily devoted to their old stuff - with some St Anger too.

NOTHING from Load or Reload. So its almost like they know themselves that people dont want to hear anything from that time of their careers!!

Crusher cmon. As if they didnt want Some Kind of Monster made. Of course they did - to add to the juggernaut of the Metallica marketing machine. My god that was a soft movie.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #28
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
NOTHING from Load or Reload. So its almost like they know themselves that people dont want to hear anything from that time of their careers!!
Black album and Load/Reload where the albums that got me into Metallica orignally. I love a lot of the songs from these tracks, however I still enjoy a lot of the old stuff, it sounds a lot rawer. I think S&M would have been perfect if they dropped a couple of songs and added a couple of songs, by far their best album for me to listen to.
Between St anger and Reload there is a hell of a change in their style, I didn't buy St. Anger for almost a year because I'd heard it wasn't worth it. I got it, and liked it, there's only a few decent tracks on the album tho.
My personal opinion is that trujillo, the big ape, has stuffed them, bring back newstead lol.
They shouldn't need to change their styles tho, as the music industry changes so do audiences, however, they would have made most of their fans when they first started... lost a few with load and reload, but picked up a few at the same time, they don't need to alter their style. They have a solid fan base who'll listen to them no matter what.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #29
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I saw them when they toured for St Anger (and at Gold Coast Big Day Out) - both setlists were heavily devoted to their old stuff - with some St Anger too.
That's one thing I have to agree on. They still put on a decent live show and suprisingly play a lot of the older tunes.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #30
RATT

Regarding Napster, if you were a band putting in long hours in creating your music and you find it's available free on the web wouldn't that **** you off a tad?

I think that the second new song is aimed at the ones constantly attacking them.
Here are the lyrics:

vulturous

Whoa Yeah

see the vultures come
see the vultures chomp on me
all around the sun
flying down to wait for me
to sit and stare
wait 'til I hit the ground
feel the vultures tear
feel the vultures tear at Flesh

vulturous on this day