Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Default advice needed on purchase of a '91 Hilux: Help please!

My uncle is wanting to buy a 1991 Hilux SR5 and he has found one near where I live at the Sunshine Coast, Qld, and because he lives a couple of hours away he wants me to go and check it out. Only thing is, as my car ownership experience consists of a couple of Falcons and an MR2 and so I'm not 100% sure of what I should be looking for.

This SR5 in particular is a duel-cab diesel with 234,000kms on it, has been fitted with a lift-kit, extractors, bullbar, side steps and 32" tyres. The guy is asking $6900 for it and has rego until August.

Are there any problems that are typical of this model that I should be aware of?
Is this a fair price?

Any help would be appreciated, and as I'm going to look at the ute tomorrow (15/5) afternoon, if you could help me out ASAP it would be great.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

The price is a little on the high side but ok of the vehicle is in good condition. Get underneath and look for signs of a hard 4wd life, scraps on bash plates around the fuel tank and transfer case. Of course look long and hard for rust,particulary in the floor.

These things do not have a large amount of horsepower so usually drive train reliability is not a factor. Therefore, if there is any diff or gearbox noise stay well away.

If possible, try to see if you can start it from dead cold. The way a diesel reacts in the first few seconds of start up can give many clues. If it is hard to start cold leave it alone.
Old 14-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Spend most of your time under the car looking for rust spots and such

Bring a torch
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

Look for oil/grease leaking from the front steering knuckles ( CV's) a little is normal but a lot is not.
Listen for gearbox noise ( you'll have to take it for a drive, they like to chew the main bearing ) and with those K's it may be getting noisy.
They like to pump all the transfer case oil into the gearbox, which is not real good for the transfer case as you would imagine, check the oil level in the T case.
On the whole Toyota's are exceptional for lack of problems but rear wheel bearings are another possible thing, especially if it has done a lot of water crossings.
Old 15-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

I don't think the 91 Hilux had independant front!

Anyway, my brother had the exact same vehicle just over a year ago. It was fault free fo the time he owned it. It needed a tune though, so your dad would want to do that first thing. It had no rust or anything. He took it off road heaps too.

So I'd check the usual. As minge said you will spend most of your time under the fourby. Check for play in the driveshafts and diffs, the rear should be LSD. Drive it in both H2 and H4, make sure hubs lock.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I don't think the 91 Hilux had independant front!
No but I've heard the joints inside the steering knuckle rightly or wrongly referred to as constant velocity joints?
Old 16-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah in my experiance there are a lot of those up there and most have done some beach work at one time or more. So as the others said.... check them CV's and inspect the rust situation. if its been owned by some one that did not regurly wash and grease it then I would stay away from it. Most 4x4's come with out grease nipples from new so its a good thing to check if some have been added. I had a nissan waggon new, it had no grease nipples and I put them in. no grease comming out theres got to be dirt dust and stuff geetin in.