Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Lanyi

Default Noises from a Focus

Describing sounds are not easy, so I apologise if this is hard to interpret and diagnose - and I'm sorry for whinning about it.

For about 3 months now, my LS Zetec has been making some very worrying noises. The car has done 22,000km and has been more frequetly making a very distinct metallic squeaking sound. This sound has been occurring on all mediums, all speeds (0-110km/h), all surfaces and any direction of travel (cornering, straights etc). From what I am experiencing, it sounds as if something is happening with the wheels - an on and off metal squeak, as if the rotors (or someting else) occasionaly touch something. However, a small tap of the brakes and the noise goes away for a few seconds....

I have taken all the wheels off, inspecting for anything interefering with the free rotation of the wheels and I have found nothing. The rotors (what I see/feel) don't seem to be warped, and the brakes still have life in them.

The car was serviced 4 weeks ago, and I raised the issue to Ford service; and as usual they say 'everything is running fine, sorry we can't help you'.
I am now at that point where I'm starting to think that I will follow in the steps of those geniuses that have installed RBA rotors on their Foci....

The other noise that drives me insane is the damn hatch... Those rubber stoppers make a really annoying sound whenever the car travels on uneven roads. Anyone done anything about this?

Help will really lower my stress levels and stop making me feel so embarrased about the squeaking noise!

Lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Mullett
Badly Focused

The squeaking sounds like brakes, or possibly a wheel bearing, but if it was the bearing it shouldn't go away after you apply the brakes. I'd guess that maybe you've got a sticky calliper? That or warped disks (it only takes a 0.1mm to rub sometimes, take the disks off and put a steel rule across them, or better, check the runout on the hub with a dial gauge)

For ther rubbers, maybe they can be adjusted?

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Lanyi

Maybe all I need to do is a brake pad change. As for the wheel bearings, they're fine. The other thing I was wondering about is whether or not there is an anit-squeak spring on the focus - and if there is, where is it?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
klone

Sounds to me like a sticky caliper. If the disc was warped it wouldn't go away after applying the brake and you'd probably feel it through the steering wheel anyway. I'd be taking the Ford tech for a drive to make sure he hears it. If it's under waranty then they have to fix it.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good luck! these things usually do not happen when the ford tech is in the car.
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Lanyi

I think Ford might be in luck with this one, as this squeak usually starts up immediately! I'd gladly take a techy for a drive... if he paid for the fuel!

Seriously though, I'll check it out with them. As for the hatch, any ideas/solutions from anyone?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Lightly lift the handbrake while its happening and see if it goes away.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Mullett
Badly Focused

That'll isolate wether it's coming from the front or rear of the car, at any rate. Is the car still in warranty? It could be as simple as a defective seal in one of the callipers which has let a bit of dirt or corrosion in and made the brake stick.

Silly question, but how much meat is in the pads? There's little metal squealer tabs in the pads, when they get to about 20% they start to squeak.

RM.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Mullett
Badly Focused

That'll isolate wether it's coming from the front or rear of the car, at any rate. Is the car still in warranty? It could be as simple as a defective seal in one of the callipers which has let a bit of dirt or corrosion in and made the brake stick.

Silly question, but how much meat is in the pads? There's little metal squealer tabs in the pads, when they get to about 20% they start to squeak.

RM.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Lanyi

Yeah, its definitely coming from the rear. Tried the hand brake as well, goes away immediately. I always suspected it coming from the rear, but was never too sure.

Yes, the car is still under warranty, so it will be a trip to the serivce guys. As for the pads, they are still at least 50%.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Mullett
Badly Focused

Take it back for sure, and don't take no for an answer...

RM.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
BlackLS
yum

Wheel hub assembly probably need replacing. Have you had your wheels rotated recently?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question leaking TDCI hatch

My December 07 TDCI hatch has water in the rear boot area, about the same amount on each side, about 1/3 of a cup each side. Do they leak on the tail ligth assembly areas as the hatch seals all look ok?
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
BlackLS
yum

Check out the LS Focus fault register thread. It seems its a common prob which isn't fixable.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
64ORD
1964 Thunderbird

Quote:
Yeah, its definitely coming from the rear. Tried the hand brake as well, goes away immediately. I always suspected it coming from the rear, but was never too sure.
We have this squeak in the rear of our LS Focus as well. Its only intermittant though. Stops when you lift the hand brake. I think these cars have their own small brakes shoes for the hand brake? Did I read somewhere here that they get get contaminated with dust from the rear brake shoes and rotors causing them to bind. Also as mentioned once you reach the wear tab on the shoes there will be a constant squeal. We experienced this on our Ford Laser
64ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
64ORD
1964 Thunderbird

Quote:
Check out the LS Focus fault register thread. It seems its a common prob which isn't fixable.
We had the leak on the drivers side of the hatch. Its fixed now (at least it seems to be) after 4 attempts at it. The leak is in a join in the body up near the roof. Its very common fault in the LS. They managed to seal it from the inside in some way. The forman at Bryan Byrt Ford in Capalaba is a Sth African guy with BMW and Mercedes experience he used a few neat tricks of the trade to locate the leak. More than I can say for the body shop that had it twice and did naf all :(
64ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post