Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Fitzy

Thumbs down LW Focus Sat Nav

I recently purchased a Turbo Diesel focus sport, which I find brilliant, plenty of power and excellent economy. But, as I drive large city distances every week, I was looking forward to having a factory Nav system instead of the after market ones I had in my previous vehicles. Unfortunately the Maps in this August build Focus are at least 2 years out of date, and although I understand they will never be totally correct, they are so bad I have now had to install an after market one, which is heaps more up to date. Ford will not give me a date but are aware of it. So if you do a lot of travelling regularly you may want to consider alternatives.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Mollusc
Starter Motor

Default Re: LW Focus Sat Nav

I was wondering if the LW II's were going to get a map update so I could upgrade my 2011 LW but by the sound of your post this hasn't happened?

Surely there is new map data available to Ford for an update?
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Fitzy

Evidently not. My dealer has been great but even they cannot get an answer.
Old 19-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Foconatic

Yes and this link still say's try again later: http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Mollusc
Starter Motor

It's been saying that for 12 months.
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

A couple of the well known GPS manufacturers source them maps through a license with whereis, those particular vendors always have an up to date map (even if you have to pay for it...)

Built in GPS nav systems always suck, though... even in high end cars.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Must be the same maps as the Ranger has.... They are 2 years old too with quiet a few guys carrying on.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Foconatic

I've heard the maps are updated every 3 year's. So....maybe next year? Since the last one was a 2010 map/update.

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

hi all i have lodged a complaint with ford customer centre about the mapping in my may 2012 build as i live in kilmore and my whole estate isnt on the map even tho we have been living here for 14 years along with several other roads around here. i mentioned it to a mate who is a drivetrain engineer at broadmeadows and he said that the more complaints FCC gets the more chance we have of an update and he reckons it really is a case of once they get to complaint number x then it flags the system and they pull there finger out but if it doesnt get to number x then it just wont happen
regards mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Fitzy

I,ve logged an official complaint as well, but I seriously doubt it will make much difference, although they did tell me they are aware of the issue, and it is the same system as the Ranger, so it's maps are the same!!
Old 24-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
A couple of the well known GPS manufacturers source them maps through a license with whereis, those particular vendors always have an up to date map (even if you have to pay for it...)
The Focus GPS uses the data from Wheris, which I understand is owned by Telstra. The GPS maps on the recently released Apple i5 are not what you would call very accurate. In fact, the Victoria Police warn people not to use the i5 maps.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs View Post
The Focus GPS uses the data from Wheris, which I understand is owned by Telstra. The GPS maps on the recently released Apple i5 are not what you would call very accurate. In fact, the Victoria Police warn people not to use the i5 maps.
If it is correct that the focus is using whereis mapping then they must be using circa 2001 or earlier maps as i know that my street and all the surrounding streets missing in my sat nav (may 2012 build) have been on whereis maps since 2002 and even the much maligned apple i phone maps has my street and the most of the surrounding streets in it, addmitedly with some errors (streets which shoudnt be, connecting up to the highway) in it.
Now i know that Kilmore is not exactly melbourne cbd but is it really to much to ask for streets that have existed for 14 plus years that are in a town (1.1 km from the ford local ford dealership) not out in the middle of nowhere to actually make it on to the sat nav, Ford in this day and age i think NOT

mrmavx
Old 26-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
wombat66

We have lodged a complaint as well.
Old 27-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
wombat66

We got a reply from Ford today. They expect to be releasing an update shortly.
Old 27-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Anyone who updated their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to iOS 6 get's Apple Maps. For what it's worth, the voice guidance and maps on Apple Maps is significantly improved from what Ford have delivered us, and for their first attempt at maps, they have done a great job.

Can't wait for an updated in-car mapping solution however! Bring it on
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
Anyone who updated their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to iOS 6 get's Apple Maps. For what it's worth, the voice guidance and maps on Apple Maps is significantly improved from what Ford have delivered us, and for their first attempt at maps, they have done a great job.

Can't wait for an updated in-car mapping solution however! Bring it on
Such a great job that Scott Forstall got fired over it.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'll be great to have updated mapping.

I wonder if the update will bring increased functionality or just new maps.....?
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Such a great job that Scott Forstall got fired over it.
If you believe the rumour mills, there were many other deciding factors. Fact is no one is perfect from the get go, for their first attempt at mapping, they have done a really good job, and everyday they are improving their services and updating their information. Which is more than be said for the navigation system in my Focus Titanium.

Seriously, while in-car units are notorious for being late with updates, the mapping software is decrepit. Admittedly, it's gotten me out of a lost situation more than once, but the Focus and Ranger, both being Fords two volume models these days, have mapping software that even Hyundai far surpass in their new range of vehicles.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always use a portable GPS as you can up dates maps each year. When a friend moved to a new outer suburb I knew the car's GPS had issues as it said I was in a paddock. Same when the freeways open.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
Not sure what planet you are on, but the Apple iO6 maps are crap world wide. Most people I know with the iPhone 6 have upgrdedto the google maps.
The Victoria Police have advised people not to use the Apple maps. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-1...ildura/4418400
In WA there are that many mistakes in the Apple Maps to make them almost useless. The Focus maps may not be worldbeaters, being Telstra Whereis maps, do not appear to have any major faults. The worst I can find is that the speed zones are not always correct, but these are often changed by Main Roads as circumstances change. Hopefully the update mentioned by
Wombat66 will fix this.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #21
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure what planet you are on, but the Apple iO6 maps are crap world wide. Most people I know with the iPhone 6 have upgrdedto the google maps.
Having recently moved to Brisbane, I have several times used both the Focus Titanium maps and Apple Maps on my iPhone 5. Apple Maps trumps the Focus maps every time.

While I can't comment on Victoria or Western Australia, I can honestly say having used Apple Maps in Brisbane, Toowoomba, the Sunshine and Gold Coast, it's pretty good. When it first launched it directed me to a dead end and wanted me to continue down a cliff in Toowoomba, however as a common user of this product, it has progressively gotten much better. It's no Google Maps, no denying that, but I honestly believe it's better than what my Focus offers.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Hello all

Time for some good news on the maps front, yesterday (1/2/13) i received a call from my local dealer telling me that a new sd card had arrived from ford with my name on it. As i was in a hurry it was literally a "here is my old card and thanks for the new one" type visit, the new card is version 4.0 not 3.0 as we have all been putting up with, and after inserting the card i had an error message saying check card i did that and then it came up with software version on the screen and the buttons at the bottom had 2 options next and cancel hit next and sat nav unit proceeded to download a later operating system then restarted itself, now i have a map that actually has the street i live in and surrounding streets where as version 3 did not have any of them. So i suggest that you all talk to your dealer or ford customer care and insist on a copy of map version 4 as most errors i believe are fixed, well at least in kilmore victoria they are.

regards mrmavx

Last edited by mrmavx; 02-02-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

How do you check what version you have? Mine might have the new version since I only got the car on thursday?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not latest map, as its loaded at the factory so build date has a lot more to do with it than delivery to you
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta get the Focus services, so will definitely ask. Thanks buddy!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #26
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH View Post
How do you check what version you have? Mine might have the new version since I only got the car on thursday?
to check what version of map you have just eject the sd card and it will tell you on the card itself. and for those who do not know the card is located in a slot directly above the sat nav screen in the plastic screen surround and it ejects by pushing it in like a card in a camera

mrmavx
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
Golfer

It sounds loike you were not charged for the update. Is that correct?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer View Post
It sounds loike you were not charged for the update. Is that correct?
that is correct i have not been charged for the updated map, i dont know if it because i first complained to the dealer within weeks of recieving the car(and they did try to solve it) or more likely because i went to customer care centre (5 months after purchase and with knowledge of local dealer) and refused to be fobbed off by them as they first told me go to my dealer and i told them that the dealer has no more info than me, and that the web site is useless as it kicks you straight out when you hit the update button and i insisted on lodging a case with them complete with ref numbers etc and suddenly 6 weeks later a ver 4 map turns up at the dealer with my name on it with no further response from cust care to me or to the dealer. My dealer says that cust care have a history of just doing things and not bothereing to tell customer or dealer and them only finding out via many calls or the dealer invoice (they recieved 3 sd cards each named and each marked foc on the deliv docket to them)
i would suggest you ring 13ford and start making waves

mrmavx
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
mrmavx
Thanks for the advice. Will do.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
Fitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
that is correct i have not been charged for the updated map, i dont know if it because i first complained to the dealer within weeks of recieving the car(and they did try to solve it) or more likely because i went to customer care centre (5 months after purchase and with knowledge of local dealer) and refused to be fobbed off by them as they first told me go to my dealer and i told them that the dealer has no more info than me, and that the web site is useless as it kicks you straight out when you hit the update button and i insisted on lodging a case with them complete with ref numbers etc and suddenly 6 weeks later a ver 4 map turns up at the dealer with my name on it with no further response from cust care to me or to the dealer. My dealer says that cust care have a history of just doing things and not bothereing to tell customer or dealer and them only finding out via many calls or the dealer invoice (they recieved 3 sd cards each named and each marked foc on the deliv docket to them)

mrmavx
What is your build date please, as Ford are now saying that the new maps were fitted to vehicles with a build date after 28/08/2012 otherwise it's $1025.00 plus gst