Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
meanfalcon

Default AU LTD various faults

I bought this LTD about 2 months ago and still haven't sorted all the gremlins or found any info in the forums.
The ABS light stays on more than off
The trip computer reads 0 in all fields
When the engine is started a series of 3 beeps 12 times
At random when driving 3 beeps 12 times

I Have cleaned the ABS sensors Checked all the fuses changed the oil and filter, Done a ecu reset that stops the beeping for a short time. It has a LPG conversion done in 2012 with a separate gauge for the tank level.

Any Help much appreciated,

Mike.

meanfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: AU LTD various faults

Hi Mike.
The 3 beeps could be low petrol if less than 80km range on the trip meter but you wouldnt know if its showing all zeros. The lpg conversion may confuse the issue.

The abs light could be the brake light switch needs a clean or replace.
Check the brake lights function every time the brake is applied.

Does the traction control work?
Where in melbourne are you?
If in the south east (frankston area) I can help to check for trouble codes with a diagnostic tool.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
meanfalcon

Thanks Mif,

I keep at least 1/4 tank of fuel in it, so I expect the alarm is related to one of the other faults. The traction control works when running on petrol and the ABS is not in fault. The abs also works on either fuel when there is no fault. I might get a new brake switch as they are cheap and don't seem to last.
I am only in Wantirna so could catch up sometime, I'd like to see your diagnostic weapon, should get one myself as we have 4 falcons, just a bit cautious with buying junk that won't work.

Mike.
Old 24-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanfalcon View Post
Thanks Mif,

I keep at least 1/4 tank of fuel in it, so I expect the alarm is related to one of the other faults. The traction control works when running on petrol and the ABS is not in fault. The abs also works on either fuel when there is no fault. I might get a new brake switch as they are cheap and don't seem to last.
I am only in Wantirna so could catch up sometime, I'd like to see your diagnostic weapon, should get one myself as we have 4 falcons, just a bit cautious with buying junk that won't work.

Mike.
Hi mike.
Even with a 1/4 tank, if you have been giving the car a hard time it can still have less than 80k range until you drive it easy for a while and then the range will come back up.
Although if all screens say 0 then that could override the 80k range beeper anyhow.

I just have a $20 usb tool from ebay that connects to the obd port and use software called forscan on the laptop.. Plenty of guys here have it and it does most things ok, but you are welcome to try mine out first one day.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
meanfalcon

You know Mif, I never would have thought that only a quarter tank of fuel would make the noise this does, Three beeps fifteen times, that's 45 beeps to tell me what I know. But you were right, I filled the fuel and havn't herd the beeps since. I don't remember my XR8 carrying on like that but it's a series II. Any how just the brake switch to replace now and I'll see how we go with the ABS light.

Mike.

AU II XR8 220kw SVO zorst, G&D Auto
Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

abs lights on clean you tone wheels around your car and the magnetic sensor that reads them could be some metal filings stuck on them causing a fault.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He said he did that.

Hopefully a fault code will help with the ABS.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
meanfalcon

I should have my garage finished in a month so ill wait till then to save doing it on the driveway as I haven't checked the rear sensors yet.
Changed the spark plugs on the LTD on Sunday, they were out to a 4-5 mm gap with most of it burned away. Idols a lot smoother now, but backfired and blew the air box lid off when I floored it at the lights.
Its a nice old car and satisfying to slowly fix up the few little problems.

Mike.

Old 13-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Mike.

Good find with the plugs - a bit scary considering someone's lack of maintenance. As I understand it with LPG cars, if the spark is not 100% you will suffer from backfire problems. It may be prudent to also look at replacing the leads too if your backfire continues.

Still waiting for some photos of this awesome beast. Long live the AU LTDs!

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #10
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

What usually sets the abs light is a sensor that is dropping out. The wiring harness is attached to the suspension in most cases and the result is usually a breakage or partial breakage in the wiring. Obviously the abs unit monitors all 4 wheels, but it switches the abs off once it one signal is out of a pre programmed range, triggering the light.

Easy to test if the light is coming on frequently. If you unplug the sensor there will be reference voltage on one of the wires - 5v. The other is the signal to the abs unit. Plugged in you will read 5v minus the resistance of the sensor, so around 2 to 3 volts.
Backprobe the signal wire and wiggle the harness around to make sure the signal is not dropping out.
With VRS sensors, the signal is actually an A/C sine wave - abs module doesn't look for a sine wave, just a high/low signal to tell it the wheel is turning. The signal increases in frequency and magnitude with speed, so when one of the signals look different by a certain amount, allowing for turning etc, the light is triggered and the system is shut off.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
towtaltowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Hi Mike.

Good find with the plugs - a bit scary considering someone's lack of maintenance. As I understand it with LPG cars, if the spark is not 100% you will suffer from backfire problems. It may be prudent to also look at replacing the leads too if your backfire continues.

Still waiting for some photos of this awesome beast. Long live the AU LTDs!

Cheers
Stu
Also will backfire if the spark is weak
Coming from the coil pack even if just one cyl is low on spark
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Already covered in post above

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2014, 03:25 AM   #13
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

3 Beeps - 12 Times

This is usually indicative of a Low Fuel Condition, Couple this with your Trip Computer non functional, I would start looking at an Electrical Fault.

Do you have a gear indicator on the dash? Ever had to move the gear selector through the gears to reset the Neutral Switch? If So the Range Sensor might be acting up.

When AU V8's do not have a gear indicator, it will not update or control the Trip Data.

Do you have access to a Scan tool? If not, You can purchase a ELM327 USB Cable from Ebay for a few dollars and download ForScan software and perform Diagnostic Procedures and read any DTC's which have been logged.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum, Always good to meet a Fellow LWB Brother

Nathan

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
meanfalcon

A new set of Eagle leads and no more back fire yet.
Photos of the LTD I'm not sure I am able to upload.
might need to get the scan tool to sort some of the other problems
Good fun to drive now, and much smoother.
To see if the gas economy improves any, but a bit hard to resist sticking the boot in at every opportunity.

Mike.