Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Vehicles forced to carry a tracking device

Vehicles forced to carry a tracking device
Ari Sharp
August 14, 2009

AN INNOVATIVE way to unclog our roads or a Big Brother plan to keep watch over motorists?

That is the debate sparked by a paper recommending vehicles be forced to carry a tracking device so they could be charged extra for driving on main roads and during peak hour.

The proposal to introduce so-called telematic technology was one of the policy ideas to combat congestion, recommended by La Trobe University academics, Harry Clarke and David Prentice, in a paper commissioned by the Treasury review into taxation.

The devices - similar to those used in truck fleets - would feed information to a database that would then levy charges, which would vary according to vehicle type, the road being used and the time of day.

Dr Prentice said that by charging more for busier roads and during peak hours, motorists would change their travel habits and ease congestion, which is projected to cost $20.4 billion by 2020 unless action is taken.

''By having these user charges, we'll get a better idea about what roads are being used a lot, how much people value them, what kind of day do people value them, that sort of thing,'' he said.

Dr Prentice said the data gathered by the devices could be used to help in planning roads, which the paper finds is often motivated by politics and engineering factors rather than driver demand.

The Henry review is due to report at the end of the year.

But the National Party leader, Warren Truss, said: "The idea of every vehicle in Australia carrying a government-monitored tracking device to track when and where they are travelling causes very deep concern. Kevin Rudd as Big Brother is a frightening thought.''

The paper signals a possible 10-cent rise in petrol excise, which is now 38 cents a litre. Dr Prentice said it would be an alternative to the use charge.

The Australian Automobile Association said it had long advocated a user-pays approach to roads.

I looked for Harold Scruby's name, but its not here. So we have more clowns to stuff up our driving !!

Old 14-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

repost of sorts?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would possibly force people off the major roads and rat run through the burbs to get to the city
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
balthazarr

Sort of a repost, but this has different quotes... so I'll comment on those here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Vehicles forced to carry a tracking device
Ari Sharp
August 14, 2009

Dr Prentice said that by charging more for busier roads and during peak hours, motorists would change their travel habits and ease congestion, which is projected to cost $20.4 billion by 2020 unless action is taken.
Can't you just tell by the above that David Prentice is a life-long academic? http://www.latrobe.edu.au/lawman/sta...ame=daprentice

Sure, I'll just change my travel habits. I enjoy spending 45-60 mins crawling along in bumper to bumper traffic... just change my habits - why didn't I think of that? Because I and millions of others have a job that requires me to travel at those times. It would be nice if we could all be in ivory towers, rocking up to work at whatever time we felt like.

Quote:
''By having these user charges, we'll get a better idea about what roads are being used a lot, how much people value them, what kind of day do people value them, that sort of thing,'' he said.

Dr Prentice said the data gathered by the devices could be used to help in planning roads, which the paper finds is often motivated by politics and engineering factors rather than driver demand.
Pure BS. We already have the ability to monitor this sort of information - that's how SUNA traffic channel works.

Even if this wasn't the case, what happened to the good old-fashioned two strips across the road counting the cars going by? No privacy implications and surely much cheaper?

Quote:
The Henry review is due to report at the end of the year.
Can't wait for that one.

Quote:
But the National Party leader, Warren Truss, said: "The idea of every vehicle in Australia carrying a government-monitored tracking device to track when and where they are travelling causes very deep concern. Kevin Rudd as Big Brother is a frightening thought.''
Some sense, from a politician?

Quote:
The paper signals a possible 10-cent rise in petrol excise, which is now 38 cents a litre. Dr Prentice said it would be an alternative to the use charge.
I thought this was supposed to replace all taxes relating to motoring? Now is seems it's only a 10c increase that it would replace.

Quote:
The Australian Automobile Association said it had long advocated a user-pays approach to roads.
It's already user-pays - registrations, fuel excise - the more you drive, the more fuel you buy, the more excise you pay...

:
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post