Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help Needed - speakers won't fit

Hi all, i have finally gotten around to trying to fit some new speakers in the front of my wagon. I am fitting a set of alpine type R splits.

The problem i have come accross is that i don't have enough depth. At first they sat against the door trims so i thinned out the spacer but now it is only about 2-3 mm of the window when it is down. Is there any other way to find a little more depth to fit them in?? At the moment they are actually pressing against the back of the door trim.

Here is a couple of pics of the problem.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What size speakers are they mate. I know you can get Type R 6.5"s in the front doors using the adapters that come with them and they don't hit the window or the trim

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
What size speakers are they mate. I know you can get Type R 6.5"s in the front doors using the adapters that come with them and they don't hit the window or the trim
They are 5x7's, i wonder if i get rid of some of the foam door liner i will get a little bit more room to play with but not too sure if it will be enough.

Toy Car Build
Old 14-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I doubt removing the compressible foam lining will help much. I can't see any way to get more space at the front for the trim and maintain gap to the window inside the door, unless you can somehow make another spacer that goes over the top of the speaker to keep the door trim off the rubber of the speaker?

If all else fails, throw them in the back and buy a set with smaller magnets (ie less depth) so they will fit in the door space.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would space out the door trim but it won't actually clip down over them as it won't 'bend' enough as is. I had another look and the window actually angles to the outside of the door the further it goes down so i will try getting the bottom of the speaker closer to the window and it might just fit.

As for getting something with less depth and putting these in the back. Without cutting metal or putting some ugly spacers in the back there is no way they will fit there. Stock in rear is 4" and you may fit 4.5" but no bigger. Down the track i will fiber glass the rear side lining and carpet it with speakers incorporated. (Long tiime down the track).

Toy Car Build
Old 14-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
I would space out the door trim but it won't actually clip down over them as it won't 'bend' enough as is. I had another look and the window actually angles to the outside of the door the further it goes down so i will try getting the bottom of the speaker closer to the window and it might just fit.

As for getting something with less depth and putting these in the back. Without cutting metal or putting some ugly spacers in the back there is no way they will fit there. Stock in rear is 4" and you may fit 4.5" but no bigger. Down the track i will fiber glass the rear side lining and carpet it with speakers incorporated. (Long tiime down the track).
Yes, forgot it was a wagon! Good luck with fitting these. I'm pretty sure this is what I have in mine, and I don't have spacers (they were installed by previous owner though, so could be an older model with less depth).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 14-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Rears are about 5'', i put in a new pair of 4'' and it was way smaller than the stock one.
Good luck on the install, these sorta things really do test your patience.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Rears are about 5'', i put in a new pair of 4'' and it was way smaller than the stock one.
Good luck on the install, these sorta things really do test your patience.
This is exactly the reason I don't do such things. LOL!

I take my hat off (or in this Melbourne weather 'beanie') to those who attempt such endeavours.

Hope you get it sorted soon Rhys.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
This is exactly the reason I don't do such things. LOL!

I take my hat off (or in this Melbourne weather 'beanie') to those who attempt such endeavours.

Hope you get it sorted soon Rhys.

GK
Yeh GK, you just stick to painting your wheels yellow!

Old 17-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
TUF-640

hmm as sad and annoying as it is i think you might have to sell them off to someone with an au or ba sedan for the rear and go out and buy something else with a smaller magnet (in a 6 or 6.5'' as well) i just put JL audio VR 6" splits in the front of my au fairmont with 9mm MDF spacers and it just clears the foam stuff. But all in all car audio installing is a PITA so never doing it again. Good luck with it, maybe see what a professional installer has to say about it as well

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
TUF-640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well after a lot more time and effort than at first thought i will be able to 'squeeze' them in but i have had to trim back the door trim and speaker cover to give a little more clearence. I have left about 3-4mm behind them to clear the window as i don't want to be scratching them.

Toy Car Build
Old 20-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yes, forgot it was a wagon! Good luck with fitting these. I'm pretty sure this is what I have in mine, and I don't have spacers (they were installed by previous owner though, so could be an older model with less depth).
JC, your Fairmont has Alpine Type-R 6.5" splits with a spacer to suit, rather than the 5x7s.
Cheers, Matt.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks Matt. How's that GT going!?

Old 23-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
Well after a lot more time and effort than at first thought i will be able to 'squeeze' them in but i have had to trim back the door trim and speaker cover to give a little more clearence. I have left about 3-4mm behind them to clear the window as i don't want to be scratching them.
I had issues with the speaker grill as well ... and found I had to cut some of the tabs on the back of it back a bit to get clearance as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I had issues with the speaker grill as well ... and found I had to cut some of the tabs on the back of it back a bit to get clearance as well.

Yep they just fit. I have only finished the left one as i have had exams. But after tomorrow i will finish them both properly and then the fun job of fitting the splitter boxes and tweeters. More fun i assume.

Toy Car Build