Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
Terry Francis
Starter Motor

Default Poor fm radio reception

My AU III series Falcon Forte wagon has just developed a poor FM reception status. It takes about 15 minutes of the radio being on before I receive any reception. It tends to become clearer the longer I leave it switched on. The only thing I can come up with is that there might be a weak solder connection. I'm more mechanical minded than electrician minded. Any ideas ?
Thanks Terry F
Terry Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Poor fm radio reception

Is the stereo factory or aftermarket?

Have you checked to make sure that it is plugged in properly at the back of the stereo?
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2023, 10:10 PM   #3
Terry Francis
Starter Motor

My radio is OEM from 2001.
Terry Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2023, 11:17 PM   #4
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your thought of a dud solder joint would be a fair assumption.

Normally an electronic device that starts working after a little time being turned on is due to something internally heating up, expanding and restoring a poor or broken connection.

But it could also be a something like a failing capacitor as well.

Might want to check for basics like dirt and corrosion under the ground screw of the antenna, inside the guard. Make sure a rodent hasn't eaten through the antenna cable.

If I remember correctly later AU's had an automatic antenna. I take it the antenna is extending?

Might the universe's way of telling you its time to upgrade the head unit.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Open it up and check for cold solder joints (check google images for "cold solder joints" to see what you are looking for and reflow the solder on any you find. Also see https://electronics.stackexchange.co...m-vacuum-tubes