Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #151
v gate

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
im trying to get into the mines working as a dogman. it seems that people only want experience workers.
its a bit hard to get experience when no1 will give it to you
how much experience have you got. if its little to none then you shouldnt get the job. way to easy a ticket to get for the consequences that can and do pop up. all green guys that come my way get hammered and if your not up to scratch ill run ya off.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #152
gtfpv
GT

yeah i am still interested reading this thread . it seems to be running in 2. different directions .
one direction preaching safety , and technology . which is backed up by people saying they cant get a start.
and another saying that you can just pay for a ticket , and there are jobs for anyone off the street .
as a tradesmen , i would not want to be working along side someone who has no experience or idea . and people thinking they should be able to get a job due to demand . what if there was a shortage of 747 pilots ??? that job pays well , i've heard TIGER are screaming for them , bankstown airport are running day courses for $655 .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #153
v gate

$655 hmmm air hosties. crane/plane close enough ?
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #154
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think I should start off with HR license, I can go for that in march next year.

But how do I practise for a non syncro gearbox? I don't want to exactly mongo my car by trying to shift without using the clutch?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #155
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I think I should start off with HR license, I can go for that in march next year.

But how do I practise for a non syncro gearbox? I don't want to exactly mongo my car by trying to shift without using the clutch?
Its not something you can really practise without being in the truck. Some instructors will teach you to use the clutch on all shifts by using the double shuffle method, where you don't actually push the clutch all the way in, just enough to take the load of the box. Changing without using the clutch takes finness with the throttle and gear lever and practice. Its different when the truck is empty compared to loaded and each truck is different
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #156
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Gtfpv , yes lots of safety . I get what you say about working with inexperienced people , I work with ten women who either have never worked / just out of school / 50 year old housewives etc and after a couple hours sitting beside a trainer are at the wheel of 350 ton trucks , all I can do is dodge them with my experience , and guide them ...but hey who am I to say who gets a job , in my job its much like being on the highway with all the varying skill levels .but in saying that I work with some men with 30 years in the same job and are dangerous and useless ...most mine machines are super easy to drive ( different than being an actual good operator) so even dummies aren't a real danger . And while the boom is on we don't have a choice but to get em and train em .
At the end of the day I won't let anyone do anything dangerous and do my best to make sure noone gets hurt , the industry has lost lots of its experience , so we can only hope that the people we get aren't twits .
Old 14-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #157
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
If ya want in and you have no skills give The WorkPac Group
46c Callide Street, BILOELA, QLD 4715
Tel: (07) 4980-4655 | Fax: (07) 4992-5824
Email: Reanna.Wilson@Workpac.com | Web: www.workpac.com

A call and be honest about what you can can't or havn't done ...

I have already posted enough links to get someone half started ?

I have an interview tomorrow for a site and they are looking at me as a fresh starter as i have been out of the field for 15yrs.. Here's hoping .. And after my generic induction is finished i will ask the BIG questions as to how unskilled operators can get a start in the rumoured 100 000 strong workforce we will be needing in Qld in the next 3 years...

Daz...
I sent her a copy of my resume with a letter, lets see where we go from here
Old 14-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #158
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Nice .... may need generics depending on site tho'...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #159
shewi6
Starter Motor

Somewhere here earlier said that some people can just have a mining job just fall into there lap, well thats exactly what happened to me.

After finishing school and turning 18 I applied at a recruitment company offering entry level jobs (including dump truck operators) and ended up getting a job with the drill & blast department as a blast tech with no experience necessary and all generics paid for by the company.

I am lucky that my job is in Mt Isa so it is literally a 2 minute drive to work everyday. I work in an open cut silver/zinc/lead mine, only work day shifts on a 4/4 roster.

For the first 6 months as i was working basically as a contractor i was only on a flat 27 an hour with no holiday or sick pay but am now signed on to xstrata on 80g a year and also have a loader ticket and am thinking of doing a shotfirers course.
shewi6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #160
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Definately do the shotfirers course mate ..

I was on the drill n' blast crew in 89' at Newhope, hit this site up for advice as well matey ... http://www.oricaminingservices.com/au/en
Old 14-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #161
shewi6
Starter Motor

Yeah i will definitely do the course some time in the future but right now we have more shotfirers than we need and the company wont reimburse the cost of the course.
shewi6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #162
05_ENFORCER

A good entry level in mining is a pit tech, you can't go wrong from there.

If you prove yourself you can move up to drill and blast, rig offsider, process general hand or even process operator.

We have a lot of camp/catering staff from CCS moving into truckies and pit jobs atm.
Old 14-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #163
xt3valve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a Formwork Carpenter. Have worked in Yandi on the BHP iron ore mine building crushers and stacker and reclaimers. Been doing FI/FO for the last 3 years.

Im currently working on Barrow Island working on the Chevron Gorgon LNG project.
Gearbox: Fully rebuilt BTR 4sp, Chryogenicaly treated, high stall
490rwhp E85
xt3valve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #164
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt3valve
Im a Formwork Carpenter. Have worked in Yandi on the BHP iron ore mine building crushers and stacker and reclaimers. Been doing FI/FO for the last 3 years.

Im currently working on Barrow Island working on the Chevron Gorgon LNG project.
Construction or production?

Contractor or Salary??

Only reason I am asking is it is easier to enter if you apply as a third party.
Old 14-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #165
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Some of these sites, you go to do applications but they make sure you can't apply unless you have a HR license. Its like they won't even consider someone without it.
Old 15-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #166
Road Games

HOW DO I GET A JOB IN MINING...

http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au...m_medium=email

This is the question we get asked the most. Eight simple words with one very complex answer.

Simply, there is no ‘one size fits all’ response. When callers to The Resource Channel ask this question, we could be forgiven for responding with “we’ll tell you how, if you can tell us how to achieve world peace”. Okay, might sound a tad melodramatic, but you’ll get the idea that it’s somewhat of a tough question to answer.

Why? Because there are so many factors at play. It depends on where you live, what your previous experience is, whether you are open to FIFO or residential, what role you have pinpointed that best suits your skills and likes, how much you already know about the industry etc.

Here are a couple of examples from recent enquiries:

Question One: is there an industry course you can do that assists individuals with professional qualifications to be better positioned to enter the industry?

This particular gentleman has an electrical engineering qualification with solid experience in SCADA electronics and power stations. For personal reasons, he has not worked as an engineer for nine years and is facing challenges in entering the mining sector as an engineer. He also lives in New South Wales, where the opportunities are not as great as in Queensland or Western Australia.

Our advice: Trying to enter the industry as an electrical engineer after a nine year absence from the field will be tough. There is also no ‘one magic course’ you can do to bridge that gap and bring a person up to speed on industry technology etc.

Instead, we recommended that he focus on entering the oil and gas industry as an operator. ConocoPhillips, for example, has an outstanding training program for their Darwin LNG operation where individuals with the right cultural fit and attitude are trained over an eight or so month period to become operators. Having a background in electrical engineering and power stations will be a major advantage for securing a trainee position. It is sometimes difficult for organisations like ConocoPhillips to attract people to Darwin, where it is a requirement of the operation to live locally.

Furthermore, courses can be undertaken either at ACEPT (http://www.challenger.wa.edu.au/Work...ges/ACEPT.aspx) or through Subiaco TAFE in Western Australia by distance learning (http://www.central.wa.edu.au/courses...x?tpId=255739). This latter course is designed more for mining, but many of the skills will be highly applicable.

In addition, organisations like Santos and ConocoPhillips will need to hire Operators for their respective projects in Queensland. Whilst these jobs may be at least 12 months away, now is the time for individuals to prepare, or to at least demonstrate knowledge of the industry and job requirements to better their chances.

Question 2: I live in South Australia, have a HR license and a range of other industry specific tickets and I’m wondering what my chances are of entering the industry? Do I need to move to Western Australia or do more training?

Our advice: The answer to the final question is NO and NO. We see too many spend more money than necessary on more and more training when the issue is a lack of experience. With South Australia also ramping up its number of projects, there is no need to move interstate.

Instead, we recommend that you contact the organisations we’ve most recently blogged about on construction of the WPG Resources project as a start: http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au...outh-australia. Macmahon also has the mining contract for BHP Billiton Olympic Dam Operation and could be contacted.

If this is still proving to be a challenge, you need to consider what other alternative jobs you could do in the interim that demonstrates your ability to operate equipment. This might include large scale landscaping, or civil works for the government, like road construction - anything that demonstrates operating mobile equipment for long periods.

Subscribe to The Blog – the reason why we write about awarded contracts is to point you in the right direction for the best job opportunities. When companies like WDS (http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au...am-gas-project) blogs about winning work on a major coal seam gas project, or NRW is awarded a contract for civil works for Fortescue (http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au...-hub-contract), this is important news for the job seeker. Too many seeking an entry level opportunity apply to the major operators like Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton, Fortescue and Xstrata for example, and don’t consider the literally hundreds of other organisations who provide specific services to the industry.

And then there are those we see who appear to have outstanding work histories, aligned experience and qualifications from a different industry – and still have issues getting a foot in the door.

Often this is because the highly experienced in the industry are also applying to the same positions you are. It’s not always feasible for people to do so for financial reasons, but if at all possible, consider doing shutdown and construction work. This means you are doing shorter-term contract work, ie without the security of permanency. It is, however, more often than not, the most beneficial way of getting a foot in the door. You get the right experience, you learn on-the-job skills and most importantly, you are working with others in the industry who are ‘in the know’. Often crews move from one job to another on this basis because they know where the work is next coming from and tell their work colleagues.

This might mean that even if you are trade qualified and have worked in another industry, you could try applying for Trade Assistant (TA) roles on shutdowns with organisations like Transfield Services, United Construction, Monadelphous or Thiess - all provide short or longer term labour for shutdowns and construction projects.
Old 24-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #167
Road Games

It's gone awfully quiet in here ?

Statement of Completion

RIICOM201A
RIIGOV201A
RIIOHS201A
RIIRIS201A
RIIERR205A
RIIERR302A

Completed theoretical and ready for Competancy !

If my ex boss signs me off for previous experiences i wont need a log book to take to the mines... lets hear his excuses tomorrow?!

If anybody would like the Induction Booklet to peruse then PM me and i will e-mail it to you in PDF form

I qouted this course in previous posts .. well worthwhile team if you are really keen to get into Mining !
Old 25-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #168
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Sorry I havent had time to make it look pretty but there should be more than enough information for you to contact BHP Directly and apply for these positions......

BHPB Currently have over 1000 jobs on the internal job board actively looking directly to employee people all over the world..No Agencies no ********...

Nickel West Kwinana - 2012 Apprentice Opportunities Instrument / Electrical
(Job No.:729947) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)
W. Australia Standard Time
Kick start you career and be part of the BHP Billiton Apprentice Program. Fly In / Fly Out & Residential opportunities....Nickel West has it all.

Nickel West Kwinana - 2012 Apprentice Opportunities Fixed Plant Mechanical Fitting
(Job No.:729957) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)
Kick start you career and be part of the BHP Billiton Apprentice Program. Fly In / Fly Out & Residential opportunities....Nickel West has it all.

Leinster - Heavy Duty Diesel Technician
(Job No.:726555RN) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)
NIW - Are you an experienced Heavy Duty Diesel Technician? This could be the role for you!

Nickel West Kalgoorlie - 2012 Apprentice Opportunities Instrument / Electrical
(Job No.:729959) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)

Nickel West Kalgoorlie - 2012 Apprentice Opportunities Fixed Plant
Mechanical Fitting
(Job No.:729946) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)
Nickel West Kalgoorlie - 2012 Apprentice Opportunities Boilermakers
(Job No.:729960) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)

Nickel West - 2012 Indigenous Apprentice Opportunities
(Job No.:729948) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)

Nickel West - 2012 Apprentice Opportunities Light Vehicle Mechanic
(Job No.:729954) Australia - Western Australia Stainless Steel Materials 2 Sep 2011 (5:00pm)

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #169
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saved the job section of our local paper from the weekend. there were lots of positions, mostly seeking experienced, but it can't hurt to throw your hat in the ring as there just aren't enough experienced guys to go around. i will try to post the info tomorrow...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #170
Road Games

The BIG players wont be interested without required experience, stick with the recruitment companies on less money to get your toes wet first..

They scan your resume for key words when you initially apply via websites ...

I have just walked out of the classroom and the feed back from my e-mails already has been very positive..

I suddenly became much more employable, but these 1hr phone interviews are wearing a bit thin ....

They are ALL Very safety conscious these days...
Old 25-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #171
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
The BIG players wont be interested without required experience, stick with the recruitment companies on less money to get your toes wet first..

They scan your resume for key words when you initially apply via websites ...

I have just walked out of the classroom and the feed back from my e-mails already has been very positive..

I suddenly became much more employable, but these 1hr phone interviews are wearing a bit thin ....

They are ALL Very safety conscious these days...
Sorry to burst your bubble but...I am at BHPB and I can tell you there are heaps of jobs on the boards here asking for people even WITHOUT any experience at all....including learner truck drivers.....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #172
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont just send your resume off and leave it at that.. always make a follow up call confirm its been received now your chattin with someone build on that.. you may not have the experience but youre keen to learn blaa blaa.. the right attitude will always overcome inexperience...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #173
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
dont just send your resume off and leave it at that.. always make a follow up call confirm its been received now your chattin with someone build on that.. you may not have the experience but youre keen to learn blaa blaa.. the right attitude will always overcome inexperience...
Thats the way to do it.
After throwing hammers and swinging spanners (Mechanic) on light vehicles for 22 years I landed a mining job through knowing somebody. Nice clean job in the Lab - awesome! 8 months later the mine goes bust, so back on the tools for a month or so. I got another mining Lab job ahead of people with superior experience but ****** attitudes and people skills. Been there 2 years now and earning over twice what I was as a mechanic. 7 days on 7 days off, travel, food & accommodation all supplied.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #174
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a mechanical supervisor with HWE Iron Ore in WA - at Ore Body 23/25 just out of Newman. This is one of the smaller iron ore processing plants in the Pilbara but is owned by BHP Billiton (who incidentally - have just bought us out so they can be "owner-operator)
If there are any mechanical fitters with crushing, screening & conveyor experience I would like to hear from you as I have 2 jobs going and want the right sort of people....
PM me if you fit the criteria

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #175
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Sorry to burst your bubble but...I am at BHPB and I can tell you there are heaps of jobs on the boards here asking for people even WITHOUT any experience at all....including learner truck drivers.....
I did a supervisor course with Leightons Holdings 10 months ago - the comment was made to protect & keep your people as the mining boom was creating a huge skills shortage and the 456 (skilled migrant visa's) influx we say in 2003-2004 was nothing compared to what we will see in 2012. If you want to get into mining now is the time.
The ball is definately in your court....

FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
Old 25-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #176
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGT514
I am a mechanical supervisor with HWE Iron Ore in WA - at Ore Body 23/25 just out of Newman. This is one of the smaller iron ore processing plants in the Pilbara but is owned by BHP Billiton (who incidentally - have just bought us out so they can be "owner-operator)
If there are any mechanical fitters with crushing, screening & conveyor experience I would like to hear from you as I have 2 jobs going and want the right sort of people....
PM me if you fit the criteria
small world.. few years back i use to be out there all the time with water services bhp...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #177
Road Games

Quote:
Your not bursting my bubble champ , but i don't want your misinformation getting peoples hopes up either...How many of those positions will be snapped up internally by cooks/cleaners already on site hmm?

Hence what info i have payed for or have been advised of by applying for work i have posted in here with links and e-mail addressess..

OHSA have given all inductees numerous links to contractors/mine sites.

Talk is cheap, if you are saying someone can get a job with NO experience at all OR Generic Induction OR Coal Board Medical at a BMA or BHP site then please provide the links and phone numbers of whom to contact so we can all join in the fun thank you ...

Nowhere have i said you cannot get a job if you don't have experience, just "The BIG players wont be interested without required experience how you get them interested is up to you !

My dads/ mates/ brother said there are heaps of jobs in mackay at Leightons..

SO?

This thread has turned into an informative place of reference for those who are prepared to do some hard yards and enter into the Mining Workforce..

Last edited by Road Games; 25-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 25-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #178
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
small world.. few years back i use to be out there all the time with water services bhp...
And I am an Adelaide boy with a few X series GT coupes

Old 25-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #179
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'd be keen to get on board, but I have no trade background except some labouring when I was a younger bloke.

What's the options for us office bound slobs? I'd be keen to get out and into some more money.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #180
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:

Hi mate, What other kind of no experience jobs are they offering?