Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #121
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Is this the same group of people who spent a small fortune argueing against a mining tax, then voice their disapproval of a carbon tax, then go on to post record profits? Have a look @ Rio's last profit announcement. I give up an hour of my time in travel each day to go to work, I lose 1/2 day of my first day's R&R in travel. My fly in day can result in a 15- 16 hour day. Yep, nobody bar my bank manager forces me to do it, but a little credit, recognition for what most of us do in inhospitable conditions would be nice. Most other foreign mineworkers cannot believe the hours we work, on the rosters we work, under the harsh conditions we endure.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #122
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
i remember Michelmore from my Gove NT days. a bit of a mover and shaker.
it's possibly his way of introducing foreign work forces while paying less for labour. ask Gina Reinholt and Clive Palmer about who's gong to work in their coal mines near Alpha (central QLD).

anyhoo, if you fellas are keen try

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...31l2-5.2.1l8l0
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #123
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
I will try & get some pix, next time I'm back on site. O&K were red in colour until the Terex "acquisition" The old ? RH400 will be painted yellow, fitted with a new Cat engines, which I am led to believe look alot like a MTU Engine.

O&K were red and white from the factory, but you could get them in any colour combination if you paid for it.

Our earlier machines are blue and white.

The later Terex diggers came out in a white with some red striping on them and Terex stickers/logos.

There are options with engine choices also. Our later machines come with Cummins KTTA 38 engines, and our older machines were KTA 38's.
Good reliable engines in my opinion.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #124
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
O&K were red and white from the factory, but you could get them in any colour combination if you paid for it.

Our earlier machines are blue and white.

The later Terex diggers came out in a white with some red striping on them and Terex stickers/logos.

There are options with engine choices also. Our later machines come with Cummins KTTA 38 engines, and our older machines were KTA 38's.
Good reliable engines in my opinion.
I worked on the O&K,s in the late 90's. They were all red in colour,supposedly a safety colour. As you say, you pay the dollars, any colour was available to you. My first hand experience with the latest Cummins engines (keep throwing turbo's on them until we get the horsepower, & duty cycle you need) has not been very good. .
Old 10-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #125
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
i remember Michelmore from my Gove NT days. a bit of a mover and shaker.
it's possibly his way of introducing foreign work forces while paying less for labour. ask Gina Reinholt and Clive Palmer about who's gong to work in their coal mines near Alpha (central QLD).

anyhoo, if you fellas are keen try

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...31l2-5.2.1l8l0
Yeah, ex WMC, they were very good @ maiming & fataly injuring people weren't they.. FMG, yeah well they use Chinese built "donga's" & proudly announced all the new rail cars will be built in China. Nothing like giving back to the country, you so happily assett strip from.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #126
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Getting a start as a dump truck driver seems to be the hardest.

What about the positions for mobile plant operators?

If you were going to pay to do a course/courses on a number of machines, which ones would you do to maximise chances of getting a start. Bulldozer, excavator, front end loader ????????
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #127
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Getting a start as a dump truck driver seems to be the hardest.

What about the positions for mobile plant operators?

If you were going to pay to do a course/courses on a number of machines, which ones would you do to maximise chances of getting a start. Bulldozer, excavator, front end loader ????????
Bulldozer, no way, fastest way I know to a crook gut & wrecked back. Loader drivers, Shovel & Excavator drivers/operators, even Grader operator. Maybe driller (blast hole) I haven't forgotten about you either.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #128
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Just wondering what its like etc apart from the money, once my broken wrist heals ill be trying my hardest to get into an opencut as a plantoperator, i have 5 years civil construction plant operating experience, do you think that will be an advantage ? Also, whats the best way to try to get into one

Don't forget about mine site construction projects. They all need earth works done.
A lot of new mines and expansions are expected to start in Central Queensland in the near future. Thats how I got into the mining industry 4 years ago starting as a trade assistant, after nine months of trying, being persistant and paying for my own generics I got a start.

Check out Theiss, John Holland, Bechtel, and the LNG projects on Curtis Island at Gladstone.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #129
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy
yeah im with machmahons and stay at that camp, machmahons have their own area way down the back there, best camp i have stayed in, cheap bar is bad though, i am there all the time

I have been a victim of that bar a few times too!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #130
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Is this the same group of people who spent a small fortune argueing against a mining tax, then voice their disapproval of a carbon tax, then go on to post record profits? Have a look @ Rio's last profit announcement. I give up an hour of my time in travel each day to go to work, I lose 1/2 day of my first day's R&R in travel. My fly in day can result in a 15- 16 hour day. Yep, nobody bar my bank manager forces me to do it, but a little credit, recognition for what most of us do in inhospitable conditions would be nice. Most other foreign mineworkers cannot believe the hours we work, on the rosters we work, under the harsh conditions we endure.
Im with you, if a family decides the wife is staying home to look after kids until the last is 20, thats their choice, and a big part of what makes Aus, Aus. If she wants to go back to work or not even have kids, again, thats the individuals choice.

If some bloke wants to earn $65k laying bricks or whatever and live close to home, go home every night and see his kids grow up each day, take em to the footy on the weekends, instead of working on a site for a week or two then home for a week, thats fair enough. If he wants to sacrifice money for family, or some family time for income, then thats the choice that makes Aus, Aus.

I think personal choice is one thing the Chinese might struggle to comprehend. Luxury life? Pigs ****, its just life.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #131
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

If ya want in and you have no skills give The WorkPac Group
46c Callide Street, BILOELA, QLD 4715
Tel: (07) 4980-4655 | Fax: (07) 4992-5824
Email: Reanna.Wilson@Workpac.com | Web: www.workpac.com

A call and be honest about what you can can't or havn't done ...

I have already posted enough links to get someone half started ?

I have an interview tomorrow for a site and they are looking at me as a fresh starter as i have been out of the field for 15yrs.. Here's hoping .. And after my generic induction is finished i will ask the BIG questions as to how unskilled operators can get a start in the rumoured 100 000 strong workforce we will be needing in Qld in the next 3 years...

Daz...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #132
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol.. i couldnt beleive the prices at the sodexo bar.. great to grab a few beers for the bus home lol.

Rang up to organise underground generics... going to cost me $620 all up.. my 5 month old surface generics is out of date already.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #133
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Yep $695 for a 3 day course and $120 for the actual ticket once the workbook is signed off, valid for 2 years...

$200 just to renew it i believe?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #134
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bulldozer, no way, fastest way I know to a crook gut & wrecked back. Loader drivers, Shovel & Excavator drivers/operators, even Grader operator. Maybe driller (blast hole) I haven't forgotten about you either.
lol in that case, stay clear of scrapers, my backs wrecked from it, everyone has been so much help, cheers
Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #135
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine was telling me that engineers from Rio Tinto were at Geelong the other day and were given a tour of the stamping operations, and in particular, the agv (automated guided vehicles ). Seems they want to introduce the technology on their dump trucks. So bye, bye to thousands of jobs........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #136
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
A mate of mine was telling me that engineers from Rio Tinto were at Geelong the other day and were given a tour of the stamping operations, and in particular, the agv (automated guided vehicles ). Seems they want to introduce the technology on their dump trucks. So bye, bye to thousands of jobs........
Nope ... wont happen here.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #137
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldnt happen for years if it were to happen. Theres alot of money in the trucks they already own. And seeing the size of some of the mines, would be a massive undertaking to setup the equipment to make sure the trucks run in the correct paths.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #138
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sort of upsetting that the one last hope of employment for people in manufacturing was the mines, and now they want to take that away. So Rio Tinto now rape the soil and don't even give aussies jobs doing it.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #139
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Wouldnt happen for years if it were to happen. Theres alot of money in the trucks they already own. And seeing the size of some of the mines, would be a massive undertaking to setup the equipment to make sure the trucks run in the correct paths.
They were quoting a radius of 500km. Geelong's agv run off a reflector system to guide them throughout the plant, but Rio's would runn off GPS above ground. Bear in mind that the ones at Geelong run very well and never get lost. Toyota are looking at introducing the technology in their stamping plant also.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #140
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Seen the prototype ideas , can't wait for me to ask a truck to short dump in front of my blade on a sinking dump ..won't happen , to many parameters and variables . Some good advice in here and a lot misguided , truck is by far the easiest ticket to get a start ..don't bother too much with other skills as you may get a job on that ticket and be sacked on it also through lack of ability .people all want to get straight on as an operator but don't realise the jobs are given to cleaners , and other workers that are on site .
Workpak and other employment agencies can't get people and have noone on their books so I'm guessing all the people who say they want in are not actually serious , I see it with my own family/ friends always asking how to get in and never do what I tell them .
Generic s first , ticket second , accommodation third and ring ring ring ...
And to those who believe we work too much I do even time rosters ad do most so my family / off time is huge ..if I left it would not be the money I would miss but the lifestyle .
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #141
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Sort of upsetting that the one last hope of employment for people in manufacturing was the mines, and now they want to take that away. So Rio Tinto now rape the soil and don't even give aussies jobs doing it.

Absolute rubbish.

Have you been on the Rio Tinto website lately and looked at the jobs available?

Couldn't agree more vanman.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #142
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with you vanman... alot of people just want to show up to a mine site and start work. With someone else doing the work for them.
Hear friends talking with other people alot...
Friend- im working as a fitter in mines
Random person- cool, get me a job
Friend- you need to get generics, medical....
Random person- nah stuff that i just want a job.

Got a call back about a pit job, sounds promising so fingers crossed.
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #143
Day-mow
rexnet

im trying to get into the mines working as a dogman. it seems that people only want experience workers.
its a bit hard to get experience when no1 will give it to you

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #144
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

At moranbah boom go through quite a few workers , and those with fitting skills well I know allight can't get general mechanic, we have a permanent sign as you drive in to moranbah fitters wanted , local shops always needing workers if you just need a start ,I started doing formwork and concrete with a contractor and for the last 6 years bhp gee even the servos are on 22 plus an hour and rosters,which get ya a grand a week ....so all I can say is look outside ya comfort zone ...Hell grab a job at spotless cleaners your onsite, in the zone missuscleaned for a few months and now works with me driving the gear , and has been for 3 years ..You got no job your not trying
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #145
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Absolute rubbish.

Have you been on the Rio Tinto website lately and looked at the jobs available?

Couldn't agree more vanman.
There used to be 25-30 people on a press line at Fords, now due to robots there are 3-4. It hasn't happened at Rio Tinto yet, but give it time...........
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #146
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Those general mine induction courses, can you do them in any state?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #147
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
At moranbah boom go through quite a few workers , and those with fitting skills well I know allight can't get general mechanic, we have a permanent sign as you drive in to moranbah fitters wanted , local shops always needing workers if you just need a start ,I started doing formwork and concrete with a contractor and for the last 6 years bhp gee even the servos are on 22 plus an hour and rosters,which get ya a grand a week ....so all I can say is look outside ya comfort zone ...Hell grab a job at spotless cleaners your onsite, in the zone missuscleaned for a few months and now works with me driving the gear , and has been for 3 years ..You got no job your not trying
Spot on vanman_75!!
There is more to a job in the mines than just driving trucks around. There are numerous other contractors on site that will give you a start in the industry. I started in construction as a trade assistant and have done everything from shut down works to washplant maintenance, power lines and now plant operator.

If you want a job bad enough and put in the efforrt you will get one. Just don't expect to start at the top straight away.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #148
Willmont ghia

Hey im lookin for some entry level work in the mines in the newcastle, maitland or singleton area. And i was wondering if anyone knows of anythn going? Or can give me sum help
Willmont ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #149
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Read the whole thread, the tips are there. Unless you have experience/tickets you need to pay for your own generics/induction to be even considered for a start. By be aware, generics are state specific, so doing NSW won't cover you for Qld or WA
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #150
Road Games

Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Any Diesel fitters local to Ipswich/Brisbane/Goldie ,who dont want to FIFO hit up here>>> http://www.newhopecoal.com.au/home.aspx

Pay starts from $90000 for 6 day roster and speak to Mick Jeffreys..

HTH..Daz.