Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Water leak

I have just bought my wife a 2009 LV Focus Tdci hatch and have noticed that water is leaking into the cargo area.It seems to be only the passenger side and it looks like it is getting in from roof height and then running down the inside of the rear pillar before dropping onto the carpet on the "wall" of the hatch area.I have pulled the tail light out and it doesn't seem to be coming from there.
I poured a few watering cans on the roof with the tailgate open and eventually ended up with a little stream on the carpet.This has got me stumped because I can't see anything that would let water in around the hatch opening.
I did find people with similar problems on some UK forums but they were mainly relating to sedans and no-one seemed to have exactly the same problem I am having.
Has anyone had a similar problem?

Old 16-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't had the problem, but you might have better luck if you put something in the water that you're pouring in - something that isn't harmful to the car, but will leave a mark/residue behind, so you can see where it's coming from.

Don't ask me what, though.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this problem with my hatch back. Take the tail lights out and seal with silicone around the edges and especially underneath them is a weld gap in the panels ( which I filled up) into which I suspect the water flows then into the boot.

Have not had problems since I did this fix.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

This seems to be a regular occurrence with the South African built Focus hatches that we get. Build quality isn't the same as the German built ones (which NZ happen to get!). Only German ones we get are the XR5s.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs
I have just bought my wife a 2009 LV Focus Tdci hatch and have noticed that water is leaking into the cargo area.It seems to be only the passenger side and it looks like it is getting in from roof height and then running down the inside of the rear pillar before dropping onto the carpet on the "wall" of the hatch area.I have pulled the tail light out and it doesn't seem to be coming from there.
I poured a few watering cans on the roof with the tailgate open and eventually ended up with a little stream on the carpet.This has got me stumped because I can't see anything that would let water in around the hatch opening.
I did find people with similar problems on some UK forums but they were mainly relating to sedans and no-one seemed to have exactly the same problem I am having.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
I had this problem with my LT TDCi and it was fixed under warranty by a panel shop. Ford is obviously aware of the problem.

Noel
Old 17-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have just found the same thing in my car :(
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dustproof,did the panel shop tell you what the cause was or what they did?
Old 18-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Dustproof

Apparently the factory doesn't lay the panels properly one over the other like builders do with tiles on a house, they seem to do the opposite which allows water to flow down inside the panels hence the leak. I think they just filled the gap with sealer like what has been mentioned is an earlier post, I wasn't sure what the problem was because I had a rattle in the back and I needed it checked. If I get this problem with my new Mk2 LV I will do the job myself, much quicker.
Old 18-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
elgreko

Default leak

I have the same problem with my 08 TDCi drivers side, went to ford they said they needed the car for three days to fix under warranty, has to go to panel shop, would not disclose where the problem was! pulled the rear light off to fix myself but could not find the problem!! ****ed off they will not give me a loan car!!!!
Old 18-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have now noticed water on the driver's side as well after some rain the other night.I will be sending the car back to Ford shortly...