Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Petrol or Diesel? Focus info please...

Considering buying a Focus for the better half.

Will be a used model. 2008 and up. Seems to be some good buys at the moment.

What would the cost differences between the 2 be? In terms of continual running costs and usual wear and tear.

So, comparing things like:

Service intervals (km gaps)?
Rough costs of minor / major services between the 2?
Timing belt / chain?? Which engine and when??
How about things like fuel pumps / glow plugs / spark plugs / filters etc?
It will be an Automatic transmission as well. The fact that the diesel has a 6 speed is very attractive as well.

Reason why I ask this is that if it will be serviced by my local mechanic once any factory warranty runs out.

Also curious about people who have experienced both engine combos. Which details do you like and dislike and why?

I'm leaning towards the diesel personally. Lower consumption, torquey motor and 2 extra cogs in the box along with engine longevity are all attractive at the moment.

Look fwd to your replies.

Cheers,

Jason

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
fordmondeoman

If you can go the diesel mate you will have less problems with it and will be cheaper look after might be a little more to buy though
Old 24-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They were selling a couple of the 2007 LT diesel focus for about $15,000 in Vic. Service interval is 15,000Klm but expect to pay a bit more for the fuel & oil filters but no spark plugs!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Kryton

Resale on a Diesel should be better in the long run too.
Ive looked into this myself and id go the Diesel.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
jumbuck
Starter Motor

If you want the 6 speed auto then you will have to go 2009 LV or later. When I bought mine in 2009 I drove both the petrol and the diesel. There really is no comparison in my opinion with the diesel being a far superior car although you certainly do pay for the privilege.
I just traded mine after only 20000k's as we needed a bit more headroom in the back (very tall kids!) and I was very sad to see it go. Bought another diesel though as the better fuel economy and the torque is more useful to me.
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run 2 Focus. A 2ltr petrol 2005. A 2 ltr diesel 2008.
Fuel econ petrol 7ltrs/100km, diesel 5.5ltrs/100km
Servicing 15% dearer on diesel.
Timing chain petrol 240000km
Timing chain diesel 150000km
Petrol handles slightly better but the diesel is smoother torquier and very relaxed at 100/110km hr, dont worry about changing gear just drop the right foot and its like a v8. The petrol 2ltr motor has always annoyed me as it always feels tight and not free revving, prior to getting the diesel I had a 2007 Fiesta 1.6 and that engine was far more free revving than the 2 ltr focus motor.
Had no problems whatsoever with the petrol now on 91000kms , the diesel has some rust on the body below the upper tailgate but the fix up will be warranty.
I woudl suggest getting a demo or a unit wth 10000kms on it to take out some initial purchase cost and the first years depreciation.
The diesel as above very economical big motor small car yet to talk to another car owner with a diesel at this economy.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Chicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Considering buying a Focus for the better half.

Will be a used model. 2008 and up. Seems to be some good buys at the moment.

What would the cost differences between the 2 be? In terms of continual running costs and usual wear and tear.

So, comparing things like:

Service intervals (km gaps)?
Rough costs of minor / major services between the 2?
Timing belt / chain?? Which engine and when??
How about things like fuel pumps / glow plugs / spark plugs / filters etc?
It will be an Automatic transmission as well. The fact that the diesel has a 6 speed is very attractive as well.

Reason why I ask this is that if it will be serviced by my local mechanic once any factory warranty runs out.

Also curious about people who have experienced both engine combos. Which details do you like and dislike and why?

I'm leaning towards the diesel personally. Lower consumption, torquey motor and 2 extra cogs in the box along with engine longevity are all attractive at the moment.

Look fwd to your replies.

Cheers,

Jason
Well, Ive had the TDCI for almost 3 years and it is the best car I have ever owned( so far !) The power and torque of the motor is amazing..and of course, the handling is legendary ! I have a 2007, Six speed manual version....and I am most impressed with the torque of the motor.
On the highway particularly...fantastic on hills, overtaking , etc,etc!
Because I am an old bugger, ( reliving my youth), I have fitted a performance chip and K&N Air Filter....and It goes very well indeed!!!!!
I hope you inspect the TDCI more carefully...and appreciate the attributes of this vehicle!!!
Regards
Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I decided to go diesel this time around, coming out of a WS Fiesta and into the LV TDCI Focus, my god, I pressed the accelerator and arrived back home the day before I left.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post