Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
ken1939

Default Focus Cabriolet...Want to know more..

G'day All!
I have been searching online (Ebay Au, Gumtree etc) for various Falcon Utes. Mainly XFs as I can import them for road use. I still have that dream of a XR8 BA Falcon Ute, which I can import, but not for road use. (25 year rule) Kind of an expensive keepsake I recon.

Anyway, I rarely looked at any of the Focus' as well, I have one. How different can they be right? I have an 05 ZX3 thats pretty much the base version, and I just rolled 226,000 miles on it yesterday.(363,711 KM) Pretty happy with it overall. However!

I did come across a few 2008 Ford Focus Cabriolets for sale and was stunned. Did not know they made a convertible hard top! Well they do not make them here that is. I recon my questions concern the platform. Were they built off a certain Focus Platform or where they specially made vehicles?

Powertrains all look like the standard Blue Oval line up from what I see. I wanted to see if anyone could fill me in more on them. Looking for some dimensional measurements as well. Hard to tell on pictures, but I am trying to determine if they are related closer to the 2005-07 Focus we had here in the US or the 2014 version here. Thinks like the front windscreen angle.
The front end is more of a cross between the 05 and 14 (front guards and bonnet are similar in placement)

Now I know I can bring in parts.( full rollers ) Heck, I can even bring in a 08 Holden Commodore Ute and get a rear end damaged Pontiac G8 here in the US and with a reconstructed title I can have a legal Pontiac G8 Commodore Ute. Yes work, but they are built on the same line, so they are reciprocals.

I am trying to determine a similar use for the Focus Cabriolet. The proper domestic front half, including windscreen, drive train etc, makes it legal here just like the Commodore would be. Lots more work though, but that is part of the challenge.

It seems as if they have made a few of them, just looking for some feedback on them. Popularity and production numbers. I recon the ST, and soon to arrive RS is more in keeping with Ford North America. But I have to say, I would be more than happy to get the Cabriolet.

I have been quizzing some Oz Auto Recyclers on costs of rollers to get a feel for the initial expense. I know what the shipping costs are, thats easy. But the problem with the Commodore conversion is that G8's, especially with V8s are still expensive even as old as they are. Makes the deal to expensive to justify. Most that are wrecked are really wrecked.

I need to retain all the US Safety Features, Windscreen, Emissions, US DOT Placards, Vin Numer to be streetable.

Thanks for any help.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Focus Cabriolet...Want to know more..

Hi Ken,

The cabriolet was built off the European 2nd Gen Focus platform, which is completely different to the US 2nd Gen Focus platform:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F...2.80.932010.29

The European Focus platform that the Cabriolet is built on is known as the C1, and is shared with Mazda and Volvo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform

The US Focus continued to use the C170 platform until 2011: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C170_platform
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
ken1939

Default Re: Focus Cabriolet...Want to know more..

Thanks DZ,

That is the lineage that I was looking for. Ford did kind of screw up in North America with the Focus from 2008-11 in my mind. I love a two door as much as the next person, but elimination of the Hatch Back was a huge mistake that they corrected in 2012. I would miss the rear window wiper in a coupe. That and the design kind of went side ways a little. But the got it back on track and I think have kept the design nice. Interiors are all to busy for me, but thats something I will have to live with.

Continued food for thought if nothing else. The key thing are the doors and rear tub of the body. I think if the windscreen angle is close, the top could be altered a little, but at this distance its hard to tell.

Thanks again for the history lesson. For some reason I forget English Fords, well Euro-Fords finding their way to Oz.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post