Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Getting keys cut for car

Just a quick question

I have a remote key for our car and due to unfortunate circumstances it's our only key.

I suggested to my wife the other night we may be able to get the key cut but use it as a non remote key (so stick the key in the door lock to lock it)

Anyone actually done this? What was the outlay?

Old 22-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Spurious

Default Re: Getting keys cut for car

I would suggest you start with the manufacturer. Ask your local dealer. I know with my ford that there's 4 keys available for my particular car. The key has an inbuilt transponder which communicates with the onboard computer on start up. If you can start your car just with a key it should be as simple as going to see a locksmith/keycutter but most modern cars have some type of chip/transponder built into the key. The parts department at a local dealer should be able to tell you. Youll most likely pay around the $100 mark for a key from a dealer. My AU2 remote's are $90ea from ford genuine parts dealer....remote is separate from key.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Spurious

I just rang my local ford dealer. For an AU2 4/2000 mod' key they would charge me (at the present time he said....mmm) $127 for a 'blank' key, $30 to cut it (est') and upto 1 hours labour to program it to my car, At $110 p/h. Might be quicker than an hour....might not! My god that's one expensive key eh'!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
kempy311
BEN

It will need to be coded to the car some good locksmiths can copy your old key if not you will have to take it into the dealer.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

find a good locksmith. My only key died on my old VY HSV and HSV said i needed a whole new immobilizer system and ecu totalling $3400 to get it running again. Rang a locksmith who came around, got the code out of my old key, plugged into my ECU and i had a new key. Cost me $120. Even for a normal key without the one broken the dealer wanted $350, screw that idea
Old 22-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am in the same boat as Rapid Axe. I took it to a key cutting kiosk. They confirmed it had a transpoder in it. They said it was $139 for the key and $189 to have the key cut and programmed the same as the original.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
find a good locksmith. My only key died on my old VY HSV and HSV said i needed a whole new immobilizer system and ecu totalling $3400 to get it running again. Rang a locksmith who came around, got the code out of my old key, plugged into my ECU and i had a new key. Cost me $120. Even for a normal key without the one broken the dealer wanted $350, screw that idea
Obviously didn't no anything about them then I code heaps of commordore at work.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Getting keys cut for car

Hi Rapid
If you are in Brisbane at Browns Plains plaza
there is a little kiosk in the shopping centre
I had a second key cut for a 2004 Territory
same as a BA series one
it cost me $90 for the key and for him to programme it
he didnt need the car I just left the original key
with him and went shopping it was all done in one hour
and ninety bucks all up
thaks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

REALLY depends on the car, I assume you’re talking about your Pajero?
Check on eBay, usually you can buy cheap blancs without a transponder chip. Take that to any competent key dude (or locksmith) and they’ll be able to make you a key that will open doors, etc.

If you want another key to start the car, it really depends on the maker.
Some cars can be DIY programmed to accept any chip (use a working key, turn on and off 5 times, etc) so you just need a blanc with a chip and get it cut.
For others, the chip itself is “duplicated.” A competent and equipped locksmith can do this, essentially cloning your existing key. Others you need to take the car to the smithy (or have your own gizmo) to reprogram the car.
Some, like Nissan Patrols, are absolute bastards. Pretty much only a Nissan Dealer can reprogram your car to accept a different key.
Old 22-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
Obviously didn't no anything about them then I code heaps of commordore at work.

Yeh, the reason being, as you would know, Y and Z series HSV's are totally different to the commodore. But anyway I got lucky, if they key was totally dead I would have been screwed
Old 23-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got a few prices for a key for a 2001 hyundai accent, it has the electronic thingy in the key.

for a new key to lock/unlock and ignition it was about $130 from a few key cutters in shopping centres.

for a key to just lock/unlock the doors it was $9.

i went the $9 option, atleast now i can get into the car without breaking anything if i lock the good key in it.