Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
jasonxhxr8

Default Is this the Falcon's replacement?

Hey everyone thought I would share this morning coming into work I work right near fords head office and FPV in Campbellfield.

Spotted a 2012 Ford Taurus left hand drive with two ford blokes in it and a sticker across the back saying Left hand drive ford engineering evaluation vehicle.>>>>????????

I wonder if this will be the falcon replacement

Looked up the specs
Taurus SHO is powered by the 3.5L EcoBoost® V6. EcoBoost combines two different technologies – turbocharging and direct-injection – to deliver V8 performance along with excellent fuel economy.** It generates 365 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque across a wide 1,500-5,000 rpm range.
Let me note its TWIN TURBOED, and comes in 4wd could be a nice car to crank some BOOST into..........

Let’s see what happens I guess.

http://www.ford.com/cars/taurus/

jasonxhxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: Is this the falcon replacement

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
jasonxhxr8

Default Re: Is this the falcons raplacement

I KNOW I KNOW

I ride a road bike to work little hard to get the happy SNAP.

Im spewing swear of my life but know Jokes I will have a look around ford tonight and FPV hopefully i can spot it.,......
Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Looks a bit chunky but the engine sounds like it would be pretty good.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the starting RRP, no wonder the Falcons dead.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
That's just the nature of the US market, the same market where a C63 AMG is 60 kay.

Ford have had the Taurus running around here for a while, Whoosha posted photos ages ago when they first arrived.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Hahah yeah true that there full spec model is only 39k and twin turbo v6 sounds ok I jumped on you tube they use this motor in the f150 couple vids of custom tune jobs they get moving
Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
That's just the nature of the US market, the same market where a C63 AMG is 60 kay.

Ford have had the Taurus running around here for a while, Whoosha posted photos ages ago when they first arrived.
Never seen or head before fair enough then not that special
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

True,

I bet you can't find a Falcon that ever looked that bad..

It does have some positives but quite a few large negatives too, no manual for starters and it weighs a ton (sorry 2 ton).
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Quote:

Unachievable here the Taurus would need to be manufactured locally for those prices to be feasible. As for the merc look at the proximity of USA to Germany versus Australia to Germany. Then taxes still need to be applied.
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I notice many Australians don't realise that cars in America aren't priced the same as Australia.

It's been suspected for a while now that the Taurus will make a comeback. I don't mind the current model, actually. The 1996 body shape we got previously was ugly, of course.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

very impressive . looks like a falcon to me . no doubt about it a better car though with superior technology . i'd say the starting price would be for the ecoboost 4cyl . but who cares . never thought i'd say it , but that is probably my next falcon .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Surprisingly the FOrd Taurus SHO is longer, heavier and wider than the Falcon. Its arguably too big.

http://www.ford.com/cars/taurus/spec...ions/exterior/

its 1964kg!!!!!!!!!!!

its a thirsty bugger.

4WD is nice, but the weight/economy penalty is paid for daily...

Last edited by turbodewd; 07-02-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: k
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Taurus Ute?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
jasonxhxr8

There claiming 25mpg which works out just under 10ltrs per 100k that's not that bad what's today falcons claim 7 per 100 or something
Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysonv48 View Post
Taurus Ute?
That could look tough
Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Yeah but Taurus ute with 1 tonne in the back = no traction over front (driving wheels)
Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I notice many Australians don't realise that cars in America aren't priced the same as Australia.

It's been suspected for a while now that the Taurus will make a comeback. I don't mind the current model, actually. The 1996 body shape we got previously was ugly, of course.
That's right due to them having 300mil compared to 22mill there volumes are much higher if we can secure a good purchase price the rrp of these would be well under a falcon. Or the government could just take the tax of parts and bang there's a 33% price drop tell me Aussies wouldn't buy a brand new xr6 for around 25k
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

only problem with the current Taurus is that is Way to heavy!!! the SHO is the top of the line model.. yes its twin turbo, yes its AWD.. but a XR6T/F6/GT would beat it performance wise, due to the weight, but the interior and tech in the Taurus is brilliant!

Hopefully the next gen Taurus we will get will have a little better performance... with Australia input and they will be on a real winner for OZ.. it will kill the A-b type of market, but might just struggle a little in the performance market. But hey, that's what a mustang is for!

Tauras SHO =
- 272Kw
- 488Nm
- 1955kgs
- 0-60mph 5.1secs (would be 5.3ish to 100kmh)

If the Taurus was on sale now in Australia, i would have bought one over the 300c luxury i have on order for sure!

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Yeah but Taurus ute with 1 tonne in the back = no traction over front (driving wheels)
Hahah torque steer that **** down the free way
Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post
only problem with the current Taurus is that is Way to heavy!!! the SHO is the top of the line model.. yes its twin turbo, yes its AWD.. but a XR6T/F6/GT would beat it performance wise, due to the weight, but the interior and tech in the Taurus is brilliant!

Hopefully the next gen Taurus we will get will have a little better performance... with Australia input and they will be on a real winner for OZ.. it will kill the A-b type of market, but might just struggle a little in the performance market. But hey, that's what a mustang is for!

Tauras SHO =
- 272Kw
- 488Nm
- 1955kgs
- 0-60mph 5.1secs (would be 5.3ish to 100kmh)

If the Taurus was on sale now in Australia, i would have bought one over the 300c luxury i have on order for sure!
Yeah true maybe with the closing of fpv some other mob might come in bigger turbo for Aus spec maybe or something to ramp up the hp a little
Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #22
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Theres nothing wrong with how the new Taurus looks, especially the SHO.

I don't want to be over-simplistic, but there is one main factor against the Falcon (and most locally made products)... and that is the $AUD.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Theres nothing wrong with how the new Taurus looks, especially the SHO.

I don't want to be over-simplistic, but there is one main factor against the Falcon (and most locally made products)... and that is the $AUD.
Agreed I reckon the sho looks pretty dam good
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonxhxr8 View Post
I wonder if this will be the falcon replacement
NO

'Foreign' Fords are in Australia for a variety of reasons. Just like Australian made cars are occasionally spotted in Dearborn, they are here for one reason: testing. Ford Australia is one of only 3 facilities globally that can do certain environmental and durability testing and it could be that they needed hot weather certification for a particular development, modification or whatever by a certain date. The other engineering centres are in the northern hemisphere and of course it's not very warm there this time of year...

Incidentally, the PD team recently (last year) held a drive day for selected Ford staff at You Yangs and they also had an SVT Raptor and I think a Boss Mustang there.

The current D3-based Toreass is nearly 2 tonnes, too big, no V8, has less interior space than the FG Falcon does (despite it's FWD platform and huge exterior size) and is an orphan platform. It was ruled out of contention as a Falcon replacement in 2010. It's a sedan built on an SUV platform.

The next generation Taurus is being worked on now as an extension of the CD4 program that spawned the new Fusion and Mondeo, and is the CD4.3 platform. I am told the "3" refers to added width, not length. Obviously being based on the same platform as the Fusion will bring significant weight savings.

Whilst Ford Australia's PD team were involved in the beginning, responsibility for that has been transferred back to Dearborn. This is a reflection of the importance of that car to the North American market moreso than any sinister motive for Ford Australia.

Currently, production of CD4.3-based cars (the Toreass and the next-gen Lincoln MKS) is going to be concentrated at Hermasillo, Mexico; Flat Rock, Michigan; and one of the new Ford plants in China (Changan JV I think). At the moment it is slated for use only in North America and China and those plants will be at capacity meeting the anticipated demand for them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
NO

'Foreign' Fords are in Australia for a variety of reason
Nice bit of info you know this how??
And ppl aren't buying big cars anymore v8 or fuel drinking cars have you noticed will melb anyway the roads are full of little 4 cylinders
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
jasonxhxr8

Also so what is for Aus bringing in after the falcon then. And there's no issues with its weight it's a heavy girl every one needs loving
Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #27
EVLKNEVL

If it went on sale in Australia tomorrow at equivalent FG pricing, I'd buy the FG. the Taurus is slower, heavier, thirstier, has flatter seats and poorer handling than what we have here already.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Quote:
Nice bit of info you know this how??
And ppl aren't buying big cars anymore v8 or fuel drinking cars have you noticed will melb anyway the roads are full of little 4 cylinders
Go to the outer suburbs ie deer park and see how many v8 Calais are out there.
There is still a very strong sub culture in which young people such as my self by large Aussie cars, most likely embuid from our rev head fathers.

IMO my generation will by more large Aussie cars because we have been brought up around them.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #29
jasonxhxr8

Quote:
Go to the outer suburbs ie deer park and see how many v8 Calais are out there.
There is still a very strong sub culture in which young people such as my self by large Aussie cars, most likely embuid from our rev head fathers.

IMO my generation will by more large Aussie cars because we have been brought up around them.
Hey mate totally agree I've been diving a v8 ute for the past 5 years and know building a blown motor I don't care about the petrol prices coz that's right I was brought up with big Aussie cars but the new generation isn't and if car company's don't change sales will plummet and it's sad to see the large Aussie cara disappearing
Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #30
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also so what is for Aus bringing in after the falcon then. And there's no issues with its weight it's a heavy girl every one needs loving
Falcon is finished? What have you heard that I haven't?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: