Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 19-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default bracket meet williowbank 17/5/08

I'm in Brisbane working for a couple of weeks. I had nothing planned for the weekend, so I checked Willowbank's website and found there was a bracket meeting on. I worked out where I had to go, set off to be there about 4.30p.m. Storms had hit an hour earlier, but as I had nothing else to do, and remembering the story of how quickly they dried the track at last year's winter's, I headed out anyway.

Just as I had hoped, the storms had passed, the track was dried and qualifying continued. The crowd was sparse, made up mostly of family and crew of the racers. There were, however, plenty of cars from all categories. The racing was excellent, plenty of people being knocked out for running 0.05 over their dial in.

This is the first time I've been to a track outside Vic, therefore my first concrete track. Hearing the Marshalls feet being peeled off the tacky surface every time they took a step, and seeing the amount of wheels up action indicated to me it was a grippy prep.

Unfortunately the Blue Oval brigade were horribly under represented. I don't know if this reflects the true state of play up here, or if I just caught a bad night. The mate that I took and I were the last two spectators in the stands. By the end of the night it was down to 10 degrees, and the lightning had been circling for an hour. We saw the final race, headed for the car and hit the rain five minutes into the return trip.

All in all I had a ripper night. I just wish I was back here in a few weeks for the winter's. You Queenslanders don't know how good you've got it. Andra sactioned events and local series.

big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
xw383

Glad you liked our race track. We are lucky to have it. Did you travel down the side road to see Queensland Raceway?
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
tufLTD
tufLTD

I think most of us Queenslanders know how good we've got it.
IMHO, we have the best drag strip in the country & the best event (Winternationals) in the country. Early June, warm sunny day, cold night, sticky track makes for great racing. This year will be my 11th year in a row. Love it.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Crapi
Starter Motor

Im from NSW, but have been the Winter Nationals a number of times and i will say that it is the best event that I have witnessed and it just keeps getting better every year. See you cane toads up there!! :
Crapi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post