Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
xp_ute

Default speed cameras

hey gang
me and the mrs are in california at the moment havin a little holiday

love driving around the place because they don't follow the limit and the traffic just flows
also because we rented a mustang so that is making it lots of fun

i was telling some american mates how that never happens in australia because we have cameras everywhere nowadays

they went on to tell me that cameras were taken away here because they dont work so i did a little googling and found this little peice of info...

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/16/1683.asp

the jist of it is that speed cameras are illegal in california by law but the bit that interested me the most was how the AUSTRALIAN COMPANY Redflex gets $20 for each citation issued from fixed cameras and $40 from each mobile camera

so my question for you smart types out there is?????

is this what happens in oz and if so is it legal??

xp_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
xp_ute

Default Re: speed cameras

this mob is also up to no good in new orleans aswell

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1225900822499
Old 20-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a heads up. Keep this thread apolitical and agenda free.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Just been there and done that.

USA - Land of the FREE

Aust - Land of the FEE

I often thought about what our Transport Department, OH&S and Police would say about what is "normal" over there.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Bobman
Regulator

Have friends in America and Europe who laugh at the idea of cameras everywhere and 3km/h speed tolerances.

It has become a joke with the fixation on these little flash registers.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
xp_ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Just been there and done that.

USA - Land of the FREE

Aust - Land of the FEE

I often thought about what our Transport Department, OH&S and Police would say about what is "normal" over there.

i'm noticing this to be true every where i go over here

it's a shame really that the do gooders are wrecking australia

i was telling some americans how in qld pubs we can't take a plate of chips into the smoking area and they thought i was messing with them

makes me wonder what us aussies are going to have to put up with in years to come
Old 21-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
... flash registers.
Now thats funny.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
el_wagon

Is it still a 10% tolerance in Qld?
el_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_wagon
Is it still a 10% tolerance in Qld?

Good question ... I've heard that the four cameras fixed to the overpass at Beenleigh on the M1 that shoot you from behind after you've passed under them have been adjusted to a lower tolerance, but I can't confirm that.

A lower tolerance of course, means more money for a cash strapped government.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A NEW bank of speed cameras on the Pacific Motorway has added more than $1.5 million to State Government coffers in just over two weeks.

The cameras, hidden on the reverse side of an overpass on the M1 near Loganholme, have nabbed 11,655 speeders in a mere 17 days.

While no official financial figures have been made available, even if every motorist caught received the minimum speeding fine available - $133 for being less than 10km/h over the limit - the new cameras would have collected more that $1.55 million in fines and 11,655 demerit points.

The Courier-Mail hit the notorious motorway this week sticking to the speed limit and found impatient motorists - driving family wagons, utes, luxury cars and even a police car - tore past at a rate of more than one per minute.

Acting Superintendent Craig Hanlon of the state traffic support branch said speeders had been caught by the new cameras, which detect the speed of motorists in all four lanes, between August 2 and midnight on Thursday.

Supt Hanlon said the results revealed more speeders travelled in the far right-hand lane, with 7721 motorists caught speeding or roughly 48 for every 1000 cars.

The next lane to the left nabbed 2299, the third lane from the right caught just 746, or two motorists per 1000; while the lane furthest to the left, usually reserved for slower drivers, nabbed 889 or roughly one car for every 96 using the lane.

Supt Hanlon said the number of motorists being caught had dropped significantly since the cameras were installed.

"When the camera was still on trial mode, when breaking the speed limit was not enforced and we weren't prosecuting, the highest number of people caught was 3500 a day," he said.

"When we put up a permanent 'speed camera ahead' sign we more than halved that."

The fastest motorist caught by the new cameras was clocked at 160km/h about midnight on August 6.

Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety Queensland research officer David Soole said the Pacific Motorway south to the Gold Coast had a reputation for being "a bit of a speedway".

"But I think the majority of drivers are within that 10 per cent range of speed, which is still a problem, but most people aren't engaging in what you would call excessive speeding."

Mr Soole said younger men, often with blue-collar jobs, were more likely to speed.

"There are some sensation-seeking, risk-taking factors and those traits are common in those people," he said.

"Otherwise, speeding is very ubiquitous behaviour."
Old 21-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we will be next for being fined for going slow.????

Spain: Speed Camera Gives Ticket for Driving Too Slow
Valencia, Spain tickets motorist for driving too slowly past a speed camera.

Drivers who pass a photo radar location frequently drop their speed far below the legal limit to be absolutely certain no citation will come in the mail weeks later. In response, officials in Valencia, Spain have begun issuing photo tickets to drivers who are moving "too slow." Motorist Jesus Llorens received just such ticket in the mail on June 14 for sluggish driving past a camera in an Opel Vectra. The alleged offense happened in February at 11am in the tunnel of the Avenida del Cid.

"Passing through, I was going no more than 35 or 40km/h, because I was trying not to go 50km/h because I suspected a radar was there," Llorens told Levante-El Mercantil Valenciano.

The notice sent to Llorens demanded payment of 200 euros (US $290) for traveling "at an abnormally reduced speed without just cause, obstructing the progress of another vehicle." The fine drops to 100 euros (US $145) if paid early as an enticement for people to pay rather than fight their tickets in court. View a copy of the citation. The incident has left Llorens disillusioned with the photo enforcement process.

"It's a pure tax collection effort," Llorens told Levante. "They want to make money, not control traffic."
Old 22-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_ute
makes me wonder what us aussies are going to have to put up with in years to come
What they have done up till now is bad enough.
Old 22-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Maybe we will be next for being fined for going slow.????

Spain: Speed Camera Gives Ticket for Driving Too Slow
Valencia, Spain tickets motorist for driving too slowly past a speed camera.

Drivers who pass a photo radar location frequently drop their speed far below the legal limit to be absolutely certain no citation will come in the mail weeks later. In response, officials in Valencia, Spain have begun issuing photo tickets to drivers who are moving "too slow." Motorist Jesus Llorens received just such ticket in the mail on June 14 for sluggish driving past a camera in an Opel Vectra. The alleged offense happened in February at 11am in the tunnel of the Avenida del Cid.

"Passing through, I was going no more than 35 or 40km/h, because I was trying not to go 50km/h because I suspected a radar was there," Llorens told Levante-El Mercantil Valenciano.

The notice sent to Llorens demanded payment of 200 euros (US $290) for traveling "at an abnormally reduced speed without just cause, obstructing the progress of another vehicle." The fine drops to 100 euros (US $145) if paid early as an enticement for people to pay rather than fight their tickets in court. View a copy of the citation. The incident has left Llorens disillusioned with the photo enforcement process.

"It's a pure tax collection effort," Llorens told Levante. "They want to make money, not control traffic."
unreal, give them time it will come here.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I'm suddenly reminded of when Jay Leno was on Top Gear.
After Jeremy pointed out that there were cameras all over the UK, Jay Leno asked him "why don't you just shoot them out?" To which he received rapturous applause and laughter.

That's the mentality of Americans in a nutshell. They simply won't tolerate too much governmental intervention and will therefore make it impossible for the cameras to work profitably. They may keep putting them up, but it becomes an expensive exercise when every week they have to replace the camera. I believe Boston recently tried such a thing and eventually gave up.
That's what happens when you have a constitution that legally gives the citizens the right to bear arms.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
MAD
Petro-sexual

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226116990407

Quote:
MORE than 1.3 million motorists paid almost $250 million in speed and red light camera fines in the past year.

That boosted State Government coffers by $475 for every minute of 2010-11.

Figures obtained by the Herald Sun reveal most motorists were fined for doing less than 10km/h over the limit.

By far the biggest revenue raisers of all 435 traffic cameras in Victoria were the four speed cameras mounted on the Melbourne-bound side of Forsyth Rd bridge on the Princes Freeway at Hop-pers Crossing.

They collected $4.14 million from 24,410 motorists.

The second biggest earners were the cameras mounted across three lanes of the Frankston Freeway off-ramp at the intersection of Dandenong-Frankston Rd.

They snapped 16,425 motorists, who paid $3.19 million in fines.

Motorists paid particular attention to cameras at the intersections of Cemetery Rd West and Royal Pde in Parkville, and Maroondah Highway and Springvale Rd in Nunawading - each booked only one driver in the entire year.

The top-earning red light camera was on the corner of Elizabeth and Victoria streets in Melbourne: 9229 motorists were pinged in 12 months.

Of the 585,405 motorists caught by fixed speed cameras in 2010-11, 462,730 were fined for doing less than 10km/h over the limit.

Of a further 579,184 nabbed by mobile speed cameras, 465,640 were doing less than 10km/h over the limit.

Frighteningly, more than 1400 motorists were snapped exceeding the speed limit by more than 40km/h.

Apart from the 1.32 million fixed and mobile camera fines issued in the past financial year, police issued a further 208,725 on-the-spot fines and just over a million motorists were slugged for not paying tolls on EastLink and other toll roads.

The $249 million raised by traffic cameras in 2010-11 is $13 million more than in the previous financial year.

Full details of traffic camera fines for 2010-11 will be on the Department of Justice's website, camerassavelives,vic.gov.au from today.
80% less than 10km/h over.
I bet they were super dangerous drivers and ablsolute menaces to society.

Purely a cash grab, by preying on inattention.
1.3million motorists travelling at speeds higher then the limit, yet how many of those succumb to the statistics of the MUARC and had an increased number of accidents.
Old 22-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In LA you can fight and win most revenue raising speeding tickets.

Basically, If your keeping up with traffic you cant be fined. If every one is doing 80mph on a free way and the speed limit is 55 it is considered more dangerous to do the speed limit (it is).

I drove 4000km around the west coast in a red mustang convertable like the one pictured. I kept up with trafic (often 85mph) and lived and didnt recieve one ticket.

Same trip in Vic would have resulted in 5 camera tickets for 5kmh over and an uphappy holiday
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Australian cameras are for revenue raising. Nothing will change.

Americans shoot cameras and they dissappear. You shoot a speed camera here and then when they fix it, they set it up to get traffic in both directions when previously it only got traffic in 1 direction.
Apparently that is what happened at Lochinvar.
Old farmer took care of the camera one night with his shot gun, RTA comes and fixes it to double their revenue from that camera.

Can't wait to my USA trip next year. Driving around for a couple of weeks with no worries of getting pinged for a few miles over.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

And how come they survive without amber indicators. And orange parker type lights on the front...

Do they have ''hoon'' laws?

That article above. Of those people going 40+ over the limit, how many contributed to the toad toll?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW fixed speed cameras are just a stupidity tax, you have 3 huge signs warning you before you get to it . It's got me how anyone gets booked by them . basically the sign tells you the speed limit is **Ks if you don't slow down you will get booked, not once but 3 times leading up to the camera.
and before anyone asks no I have never been booked by one of them I just wish there was a warning car infront of cops with a radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yeah Australian cameras are for revenue raising. Nothing will change.

Americans shoot cameras and they dissappear. You shoot a speed camera here and then when they fix it, they set it up to get traffic in both directions when previously it only got traffic in 1 direction.
Apparently that is what happened at Lochinvar.
Old farmer took care of the camera one night with his shot gun, RTA comes and fixes it to double their revenue from that camera.

Can't wait to my USA trip next year. Driving around for a couple of weeks with no worries of getting pinged for a few miles over.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah fixed speed cameras are a stupidity tax sometimes. But not all cameras have 3 warning signs.

I reckon mobile speed cams are the ones that often set up to raise revenue as there main priority.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
69XWGT

Speed Cameras = Blatant revenue raising

If goverments were serious about the road toll every intersection controlled by traffic lights would have a red light camera installed
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
In NSW fixed speed cameras are just a stupidity tax, you have 3 huge signs warning you before you get to it . It's got me how anyone gets booked by them . basically the sign tells you the speed limit is **Ks if you don't slow down you will get booked, not once but 3 times leading up to the camera.
and before anyone asks no I have never been booked by one of them I just wish there was a warning car infront of cops with a radar
Different states different rules, I am from Vic, I wouldnt be so against cameras if they were in black spot areas and if there were warning signs (which means people would slow down at that area and the camera would actually be a safety device) But here in Vic there are no warning signs and they are not at known black spot locations - typically they are on roads that are more profitable that others.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Different states different rules, I am from Vic, I wouldnt be so against cameras if they were in black spot areas and if there were warning signs (which means people would slow down at that area and the camera would actually be a safety device) But here in Vic there are no warning signs and they are not at known black spot locations - typically they are on roads that are more profitable that others.
Exactly.
How was Eastlink a dangerous black spot, or notorious speeding area when it hadnt been built?
Not having warning signs shows they are purely focused on profiting from inattention.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Old farmer took care of the camera one night with his shot gun, RTA comes and fixes it to double their revenue from that camera'

So next time shoot both camera's....... in Vic they're proposing 3,000 more camera's soon...... People have jobs to go to everyday and deliveries and transport and allsorts of reasons to be on the road with things to be done to keep the country running everyday and these A'holes want to make 1.5 Mill in TWO WEEKS..... FFS people Wake up...... Oh and how many accidents have actually occured in the area of the Qld tunnel exit before these camera's were fitted???? Fricken Zero i bet....
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
'Old farmer took care of the camera one night with his shot gun, RTA comes and fixes it to double their revenue from that camera'

So next time shoot both camera's....... in Vic they're proposing 3,000 more camera's soon...... People have jobs to go to everyday and deliveries and transport and allsorts of reasons to be on the road with things to be done to keep the country running everyday and these A'holes want to make 1.5 Mill in TWO WEEKS..... FFS people Wake up...... Oh and how many accidents have actually occured in the area of the Qld tunnel exit before these camera's were fitted???? Fricken Zero i bet....
If you are talking about the Clem 7 tunnel, none because the cameras were installed before the tunnel was opened, unless they had a lot of the construction trucks bumping into each other.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #26
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Another vote for the American way. Same car and similar miles around California and out to Vegas. The traffic just flows better there. On the way from LA to Vegas we were cruising at 180kph at times just keeping up with the traffic in the fast lane. Mostly cruising speeds were about 150kph. My missus was shocked when she realised how fast she was driving but said it felt natural and preferred it. In Oz shes not a nanna but is in no rush.
The other great thing is turning right on red lights if its safe and uncontrolled intersections flow with everybody taking a turn to go and it works. Nobody pushing in or looking at each other trying to work out who has right of way going nowhere.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #27
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The Courier-Mail hit the notorious motorway this week sticking to the speed limit and found impatient motorists - driving family wagons, utes, luxury cars and even a police car - tore past at a rate of more than one per minute".
"Tore past eh? Could be a hint the speed limit is too low; not to the 85th percentile application certainly. Wonder what lane The Courier Mail made its observations; I'd say second lane from the left:-)

Quote:
Acting Superintendent Craig Hanlon of the state traffic support branch said speeders had been caught by the new cameras, which detect the speed of motorists in all four lanes, between August 2 and midnight on Thursday.
MmmmK, tactical detection overlay:-

Quote:
Supt Hanlon said the results revealed more speeders travelled in the far right-hand lane, with 7721 motorists caught speeding or roughly 48 for every 1000 cars.
'Far right lane'? Does it yell 'heil somebody'? Iz de "RIGHT lane" occifer, one should NOT be routinely travelling in it whatsoever, merely passing/overtaking; - UNLESS congestion - all lanes blocked and this is the only lane moving! :-)

Quote:
The next lane to the left nabbed 2299, the third lane from the right caught just 746, or two motorists per 1000;
Tells me folk routinely "sit right", next to the right lane proper, referenced above.

Quote:
while the lane furthest to the left, usually reserved for slower drivers, nabbed 889 or roughly one car for every 96 using the lane.
Does this lane give praise to the joys of marxisim/bolshie agenda:-) ?? "Usually reserved for slower drivers"?? Iz de the "LEFT lane" dear occifer, de one ALL should be in - routinely:-). This tells me that fewer 'speeders' sit in the lane immediate right of the left-lane, in which they caught 746 evil speeders.

Lesson observation:- "Keep middle unless passing"!

Quote:
Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety Queensland research officer David Soole said the Pacific Motorway south to the Gold Coast had a reputation for being "a bit of a speedway".
Duh, its a motorway class road, not an urban arterial design. If these experts keep building roads designed for safe, high-speed travel and can't handle that reality, then they/we/The Harolds (tm) - need to campaign against any motorway class road construction.

Quote:
"But I think the majority of drivers are within that 10 per cent range of speed, which is still a problem, but most people aren't engaging in what you would call excessive speeding."
But measurably within the 85th I'd bet.

Anyhow, NSW speed zoning review continues, and continues..... Zzzzzzz.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 25-08-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Keepleft Anyhow, NSW speed zoning review continues, and continues..... Zzzzzzz.[/QUOTE]
I thought I saw on the news last week it had ended and some roads will be changed. Only problem I saw was that all the roads mentioned had their speed reduced, you're right ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Old 25-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victorian speed cameras are run by a private company. They receive 80% of all revenue raised by the cameras.
Old 25-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #30
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Another vote for the American way. Same car and similar miles around California and out to Vegas. The traffic just flows better there. On the way from LA to Vegas we were cruising at 180kph at times just keeping up with the traffic in the fast lane. Mostly cruising speeds were about 150kph. My missus was shocked when she realised how fast she was driving but said it felt natural and preferred it. In Oz shes not a nanna but is in no rush.
The other great thing is turning right on red lights if its safe and uncontrolled intersections flow with everybody taking a turn to go and it works. Nobody pushing in or looking at each other trying to work out who has right of way going nowhere.

No thanks. Their constitution may make cameras illegal, but it also allows everyone to have a gun, the country has a crap healthcare & welfare system, crap schools and if you lose your job you are in the excrement. Real estate assets have no value and their banking system is archaic. In short -their whole system is ****. I prefer Australia.