Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #91
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Sold out: why Australia doesn’t have enough electric vehicles to go around

We need to ditch ADR since we have no car industry to protect anymore, just accept DOT/ECE and whatever Japan and Korea's local standards are.

Also allow LHD vehicles on our roads, you can already drive a 30 year old LHD car on Australia's roads so why not new ones?

Deregulate market time.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #92
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Sold out: why Australia doesn’t have enough electric vehicles to go around

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
$150 deposit !
I paid a $200 deposit on my Focus when it was new, they wanted 10% and I'm like nah hows $200 sound and they took it
Old 18-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #93
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
$150 deposit !
I'm Dumbfounded that they found 15,000 Blokes Stupid enough to Pay It..!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #94
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
We need to ditch ADR .

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 03:32 PM   #95
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm Curious to hear both Kmav & kypez's Take on this .??

https://www.drive.com.au/news/tesla-...-owed-refunds/
Nothing like a bit of click-bait for the masses.

Yes, Tesla stopped taking orders. That doesn't mean they aren't releasing the car here. Their order book is full till 2027 at the moment (taking that production finally starts later this year). There is no need to take anymore orders. Gotta love the emotive, "withdrawn from sale", its never been on sale! Only pre-orders.

Heck, Mobile Phone (insert technology item here) providers and such also have pre-orders and once they hit a certain number, they pull them. Doesn't mean they've been pulled from sale. There are only X number of First editions as well for many brands that cap the number of pre-orders.

So No, there is no issuing refunds at this stage and my order is still in (not canceled as the click-bait suggests). Does it mean I think the car is still 100% locked in, no way! But I'm not losing much sleep over the princely sum I paid of $150.

While we're at it, they also stopped putting prices up for pre-orders for the S and X because unlike the other grubs, they do a straight conversion at the exchange rate. So if the dollar goes up, the prices come down and vice versa. I do like that model of theirs. It also doesn't mean they will pull those cars from Australia as well.

Last edited by kypez; 18-05-2022 at 03:41 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #96
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm Dumbfounded that they found 15,000 Blokes Stupid enough to Pay It..!!
Ever driven an EV? Are there any other 4x4 EVs on the market at the moment? Fuel is $2.40 with the fuel excise cut now so really, $2.60+ and these people are the stupid ones?! So, my comment about those falling for click-bait...

I've got my deposit down. I'd be happy to own one or a F150 Lightning or Rivian. Whichever hits the market first gets my money (though I'd probably buy all of them just for kicks).

Last edited by kypez; 18-05-2022 at 03:57 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #97
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Ever driven an EV? Are there any other 4x4 EVs on the market at the moment? Fuel is $2.40 with the fuel excise cut now so really, $2.60+ and these people are the stupid ones?! So, my comment about those falling for click-bait...

I've got my deposit down. I'd be happy to own one or a F150 Lightning or Rivian. Whichever hits the market first gets my money (though I'd probably buy all of them just for kicks).
Not so cheap when the Battery effectiveness and therefore Performance, Range and Used Value, fall off a cliff just after the 8 year warranty, through normal degradation (which is exacerbated by regular Fast Charger use). Only $40-50K for a new Tesla Battery??

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 18-05-2022 at 07:32 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #98
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
Not so cheap when the Battery effectiveness and therefore Performance and Used Value, fall off a cliff just after the 8 year warranty, through normal degradation (which is exacerbated by regular Fast Charger use). Only $40-45K for a new Tesla Battery??
Did your car stop working the day after the warranty expire? Really need to let go of this myth that EV batteries just stop working the day after the warranty expires. There are Teslas that are more than 8 years old happily doing the rounds. Many Model S cars on their original battery packs. In fact, the original roadster has gone up in value as a collectors car and they are over 10 years old.

Lot of HC cars with over 300,000 kms using almost exclusively fast charging on original battery packs.

People act like ICE don't lose any power or have any wear over their lifetime. Engines degrade plenty in 8 years as well; efficiency reduces and power as well. And it cost me $22k to rebuild my car engine when the power started to drop. Also, the cost to replace batteries, if it comes to that, isn't $40k (other than those shocking Nissan packs that have issues with no thermal management) and get cheaper every year. Its about $100-$150 per kwh at the moment for batteries.

Let go of the myths please.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kypez; 18-05-2022 at 07:55 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 07:38 AM   #99
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit off topic(but close enough!) Hybrids are in the same boat, you just cannot get one for ‘love or money’(sort of!)On a more serious note though I would happily own one, but to get a ‘decent’ one you have to be looking @ Tesla territory,not some crappy MG, which is not much good except in the urban environment.I mean who wants to go massive distances in one of those things?Not me.So, I ended going with a Hybrid which I believe atm is the ‘sweet spot’ in the market atm.Wait times? Mine is due imminently(next week) but I was one of the lucky ones to get in very early & secure one, wait times are now six months minimum.EV’s need to come down to a more reasonable price to make them more viable to the average Jill & Joe.Re battery life though,that is an interesting one, mine will have a 8 year warranty, think 10 years should be the industry standard though.
Old 19-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #100
hayseed

Quote:
Ever driven an EV?
Yes I have..

Quote:
Are there any other 4x4 EVs on the market at the moment? Fuel is $2.40 with the fuel excise cut now so really, $2.60+ and these people are the stupid ones?! So, my comment about those falling for click-bait...
Yes I believe that they Are..!! It's going to be (In My Opinion) Years before a RHD ADR Compliant version is readily available (If Ever) here in Australia..

I Know EV's are the Future, & I'm trying hard to keep an open Mind about them. But Your Messiah Elon comes across to Me as Too much Style ,& not enough Substance..!! (Again In My Opinion)

I have absolutely no Intention of engaging in a slanging Match/argument with You.. So lets just agree to disagree..!
Old 19-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #101
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I have..

Yes I believe that they Are..!! It's going to be (In My Opinion) Years before a RHD ADR Compliant version is readily available (If Ever) here in Australia..

I Know EV's are the Future, & I'm trying hard to keep an open Mind about them. But Your Messiah Elon comes across to Me as Too much Style ,& not enough Substance..!! (Again In My Opinion)

I have absolutely no Intention of engaging in a slanging Match/argument with You.. So lets just agree to disagree..!
Which EV?

I love how you make assumptions and then say agree to disagree. You don't even know my position and assume I love Elon! I loathe Elon and will happily buy whatever EV comes up next. I'm not wedded to Tesla. They just have the best products at the moment in that space.

I'd love a F150 Lightning. Heck my most recent purchase is a FORD! Not a Tesla. My first EV was a BMW. And I've ordered a iX though might change that to a EQS SUV.

So whilst putting words into my mouth, do you accept the article you raised was click bait that you fell for?

Last edited by kypez; 19-05-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 19-05-2022, 02:45 PM   #102
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Bit off topic(but close enough!) Hybrids are in the same boat, you just cannot get one for ‘love or money’(sort of!)On a more serious note though I would happily own one, but to get a ‘decent’ one you have to be looking @ Tesla territory,not some crappy MG, which is not much good except in the urban environment.I mean who wants to go massive distances in one of those things?Not me.So, I ended going with a Hybrid which I believe atm is the ‘sweet spot’ in the market atm.Wait times? Mine is due imminently(next week) but I was one of the lucky ones to get in very early & secure one, wait times are now six months minimum.EV’s need to come down to a more reasonable price to make them more viable to the average Jill & Joe.Re battery life though,that is an interesting one, mine will have a 8 year warranty, think 10 years should be the industry standard though.
Daughter just bought a nearly 2 Y.O Rav hybrid.She paid very close to new price because the dealer basically said,that is the price,if you don’t want it the next buyer will,take it or leave it.New delivery time,well in excess of 1 yr
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #103
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Problem for Hybrids is when they roll out the per kms tax, they will get a hit on fuel excise and kms tax. In Vic, they pay 2 cents per km vs 2.5 for EVs. EVs don't have any fuel use. I think that's a bit stiff for Hybrid owners and something other states will adopt in the near future (2027 for NSW for example).

Old 19-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #104
hayseed

Quote:
Which EV?
Tesla3

Quote:
do you accept the article you raised was click bait
Yes, It's Click bait!!

Quote:
that you fell for?

If I Fell for It Why did i ask your Opinion of the article..??

Anyway, I'm done in this Thread... have a Nice Day..
Old 19-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #105
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Tesla3

Yes, It's Click bait!!

If I Fell for It Why did i ask your Opinion of the article..??

Anyway, I'm done in this Thread... have a Nice Day..
Apologies, I guess I did some assuming there as well when you asked who would be stupid enough to buy one.

Gotta say, our model 3 performance is the least favourite car I've ever bought and am just waiting for the Y (or similar) to swap it out. It's too bumpy, aero is not good enough for a performance car (over 200 the front end just wanders) and the seats not supportive enough. The wife still loves it but I hate it. The model 3 Long Range is the better buy and the one I like to drive if in a model 3 (I dislike both TBH and prefer the S over them both but could live with a Long Range 3). Much smoother and good commuter car. The 3 SR is the new Camry albeit maybe an Aurion that it is faster than a Camry but it's a commuter special.

I just want a 4x4 EV. I love the torque. Cybertruck is hideous but I'd buy it just cause it's an EV. Turbo diesels are just painful to drive after driving an EV.

Old 19-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #106
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Daughter just bought a nearly 2 Y.O Rav hybrid.She paid very close to new price because the dealer basically said,that is the price,if you don’t want it the next buyer will,take it or leave it.New delivery time,well in excess of 1 yr
My stepson just received his brand new RAV Hybrid after nearly 15 months.Just crazy, vehicle manufacturers have you by the short & curly’s.
Old 19-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #107
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Labour government to ban petrol/diesel hybrid powered vehicle like the NZ government..

toyo/ford the best selling 4X4's on notice.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...rid-cars-2030/
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #108
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
Labour government to ban petrol/diesel hybrid powered vehicle like the NZ government..

Great post.

Off topic, wrong country and nearly 2 years old.
Old 19-05-2022, 11:03 PM   #109
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Apologies, I guess I did some assuming there as well when you asked who would be stupid enough to buy one.

Gotta say, our model 3 performance is the least favourite car I've ever bought and am just waiting for the Y (or similar) to swap it out. It's too bumpy, aero is not good enough for a performance car (over 200 the front end just wanders) and the seats not supportive enough. The wife still loves it but I hate it. The model 3 Long Range is the better buy and the one I like to drive if in a model 3 (I dislike both TBH and prefer the S over them both but could live with a Long Range 3). Much smoother and good commuter car. The 3 SR is the new Camry albeit maybe an Aurion that it is faster than a Camry but it's a commuter special.

I just want a 4x4 EV. I love the torque. Cybertruck is hideous but I'd buy it just cause it's an EV. Turbo diesels are just painful to drive after driving an EV.

I hate SUVs and 4x4s but I got a mad chubby for that ridiculous Hummer EV, I love that gawdy, over the top ridiculousness, its like Crown Casino on wheels and while its an EV everyone is having a sook about how horrible it is for the environment, its like a **** take from an environmental perspective and that's got Franco written all over it
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2022, 06:07 AM   #110
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Great post.

Off topic, wrong country and nearly 2 years old.
ha ha; it's in the news from local pollies, just didn't find a current one.

https://acapmag.com.au/2022/05/push-...he-end-of-ute/

i would have thought to be on topic as it is relevant, cant be forced if you cant buy.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2022, 10:10 AM   #111
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
We need to ditch ADR since we have no car industry to protect anymore, just accept DOT/ECE and whatever Japan and Korea's local standards are.

Also allow LHD vehicles on our roads, you can already drive a 30 year old LHD car on Australia's roads so why not new ones?

Deregulate market time.
The nupties on our roads have enough excuses for poor driving, don’t hand them another one
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #112
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post

Who the hell is the labour government. I've never heard of them. If we are talking about Australian politics you would see that the Liberal Party said electric vehicles will kill the weekend, now they are spending your tax dollars on electric car infrastructure.
Sounds like someone may have started to invest their personal money in electric things now?

I wonder how long it will take for electric planes to have the range to fly from Australia to Hawaii.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #113
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I hate SUVs and 4x4s but I got a mad chubby for that ridiculous Hummer EV, I love that gawdy, over the top ridiculousness, its like Crown Casino on wheels and while its an EV everyone is having a sook about how horrible it is for the environment, its like a **** take from an environmental perspective and that's got Franco written all over it
That insane, beautiful behemoth that is the epitome of American decadence points out exactly what’s wrong with the current debate on climate change. it’s not petrol and diesel that make the most pollution, it’s coal fired power plants that need to be replaced before we even begin to discuss elimination petrol and diesel. There’s like a whole generation of hybrids and plug in hybrid vehicles that are being missed….those are more important to places like Australia than BEVs.
Old 21-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #114
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Arnie had one for a while, ran on Straight Veggie Oil. Environmentally tank.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #115
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
That insane, beautiful behemoth that is the epitome of American decadence points out exactly what’s wrong with the current debate on climate change. it’s not petrol and diesel that make the most pollution, it’s coal fired power plants that need to be replaced before we even begin to discuss elimination petrol and diesel. There’s like a whole generation of hybrids and plug in hybrid vehicles that are being missed….those are more important to places like Australia than BEVs.
Yes and no... I did the maths in another thread. You would emit about a quarter of the emissions from petrol running on 100% coal generated electricity alone in Australia.

Old 22-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #116
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Re: Sold out: why Australia doesn’t have enough electric vehicles to go around

Quote:
Yes and no... I did the maths in another thread. You would emit about a quarter of the emissions from petrol running on 100% coal generated electricity alone in Australia.

Thank you for saying the quiet part out loud, any move to electrification reduces nett CO2 output.
Plus it reduces our reliance on imported fuel and the profits that flow out of Australia.
Electric power generation, sales and supply keeps a lot of the jobs and profits here in Australian communities.
Old 22-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #117
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thank you for saying the quiet part out loud, any move to electrification reduces nett CO2 output.

Plus it reduces our reliance on imported fuel and the profits that flow out of Australia.

Electric power generation, sales and supply keeps a lot of the jobs and profits here in Australian communities.
Oops, sorry didn't get that when I read it... I get it now!

Old 23-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #118
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s should also be obvious that if indeed, great swathes of road users were to switch to Electric, the governments would move to maintain income from fuel excise another way, be that an annual km use tax and increased State registration fees.
Old 23-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #119
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Aussies are innovative, so I wonder if retro fitting Utes and cars as BEVs becomes a thing.
The economics probably don’t work at the moment but could be a way to save some Falcon/Territory
Old 23-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #120
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Aussies are innovative, so I wonder if retro fitting Utes and cars as BEVs becomes a thing.
The economics probably don’t work at the moment but could be a way to save some Falcon/Territory
I don't see it ever happening its to hard to find enough space in an ice vehicle to fit the amount of batteries needed to get any sort of reasonable range. The ones I've seen done have hardly any range and cost an absolute fortune.

I think anything that's not desirable or a classic will just go to landfill as people replace them with electric, just throw them away its what humans do best.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post