Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2023, 05:04 PM   #2521
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've been running a social media campaign against our local servo, they're always way more expensive than everyone else, its probably because of two reasons:

A) We're closer to Melbourne, the larger town and we mostly all work in Melbourne
B) They're greedy ****ing pricks.

Every time I go fill up, I take photos of all the price boards, one in my town, one in the next town up and now a third option which only sells diesel - that no one was even aware of until someone mentioned it.

Then I make a post on our local community group, so people are aware of the prices without needing to drive to the next town to have a look, or use unregulated bull**** like 'petrolspy'.

Within 10 mins of my post going up someone who works at the local servo saw my post, told management and then tried to undermine me by dropping the price and commenting on my thread on our community group, but they've just gone from 29c/L to 14c/L more expensive than the next town for 91.

We've had a small win, its still not as cheap but the price went down significantly, if they're going to be blatantly greedy then as a community we'll try starve them of business by raising awareness of other options available locally.
Your system is no more regulated than petrolspy's.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2023, 05:15 PM   #2522
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Your system is no more regulated than petrolspy's.
Yeah but mine actually works by using something called guilt and community outrage
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #2523
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Franco, we had this in ACT. Our petrol prices were always around 20-30 cents more than Sydney. A social media campaign started, to change it. All the servos in ACT lawyered up and took the people that started it to court. Basically, the page was removed and the big guys won, once again.

It worked for a couple months, our prices ended up lower than Sydney.
Old 16-08-2023, 05:37 PM   #2524
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Franco, we had this in ACT. Our petrol prices were always around 20-30 cents more than Sydney. A social media campaign started, to change it. All the servos in ACT lawyered up and took the people that started it to court. Basically, the page was removed and the big guys won, once again.

I look forward to the scary letter from the servo legal team, if our servo was smart they'd call the management of the little one and go we're charging $2.25/L put your price up 30c/L

We're the larger population center, the next servo is 30km down the road.

My beef is that we had an opportunity for a government regulated fuel price app in Victoria and the government refused, so now we're stuck with crap like petrolspy which is open to abuse from servo staff.

The guy up the road in the next town is appreciative of local support too, he doesn't take it for granted.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-08-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 16-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #2525
John 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Wow, haven’t fuel prices gone north! $2.21.9 in my area.(98) In some places in Sydney it is up as high as $2.47.9!
Effectively, other than fuel tax, beyond our control. Saw it coming When Saudi Arabia via their control through OPEC, forced a cut back in “free” world production with the intention of raising world oil price.

Incidently Saudi Aramco operates the largest refinery in Texas, (remember the Bin Lidens being flown out of Texas immediately post 9-11), has signed an agreement with China to build a state of the art refining complex in the north east region of China. We also can’t have either Iran or Venezuela exploding their massive oil reserves on the world market !
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2023, 06:55 PM   #2526
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I keep an eye on our prices in the A.C.T,a lot of the time they are under Sydney.
Old 17-08-2023, 10:56 AM   #2527
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
I keep an eye on our prices in the A.C.T,a lot of the time they are under Sydney.
Yep, but that's only because of what happened 7 years, the huge campaign to only fill up at Costco Majura. People were driving 30 minutes to stick it to the other fuel companies. I remember the wait at Costco being up to 20 minutes sometimes as most people were on board. Our Costco prices were 10 cents lower than Sydney, consistently, over that period. The other fuel companies all banded together and the facebook page was shutdown and court cases ensued.

Before that group was made, our fuel prices used to always be considerably more than Sydney, now we are generally on parity or less than Sydney.

I still only fill up at Costco Majura and save around $1400 in fuel a year comparing it to BP Fyshwick.
Old 17-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #2528
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yep, but that's only because of what happened 7 years, the huge campaign to only fill up at Costco Majura. People were driving 30 minutes to stick it to the other fuel companies. I remember the wait at Costco being up to 20 minutes sometimes as most people were on board. Our Costco prices were 10 cents lower than Sydney, consistently, over that period. The other fuel companies all banded together and the facebook page was shutdown and court cases ensued.

Before that group was made, our fuel prices used to always be considerably more than Sydney, now we are generally on parity or less than Sydney.

I still only fill up at Costco Majura and save around $1400 in fuel a year comparing it to BP Fyshwick.
You'd be surprised what you can achieve with social media when you harness it for something other than memes and pics of your lunch.

You're doing well when the scary letter comes in from someone's legal team, you know it's working.

To put it into perspective my post got 3.5x more engagement than the local councils town structure plan, people get upset about being taken for a ride.

I look forward to influencing the next local election
7 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2023, 08:31 PM   #2529
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so do we
Old 02-09-2023, 10:09 AM   #2530
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telling the world your now a third world sh#thole without telling them.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #2531
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Why does NZ always have such high fuel prices - is it taxes like the UK pushing the price through the roof?
Old 02-09-2023, 01:28 PM   #2532
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Why does NZ always have such high fuel prices - is it taxes like the UK pushing the price through the roof?
Now you know why there is a lot NZ people who live over here, I don't blame them leaving their own country.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2023, 05:24 PM   #2533
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You guys have the cheapest pizzas I've ever seen advertised at the roadside.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #2534
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

High petrol price is a 1st world problem. Many 3rd worlds are under a dollar a litre.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #2535
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha T you are correct, NZ must be hiding its wealth well with those prices
Old 04-09-2023, 11:18 AM   #2536
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We're does it start, incompetent pollies sucking the life out of the motorist with high exise tax, the green dream, no way to process oil now so reliance on off shore supply, also at end of supply chain. And with Auckland a local exise tax added on, Then 15% gst which is also a a tax on tax with the exise portion. Maybe I have it wrong, but the motorist is always a easy target. Also our previous dictator put a ban on any oil or gas exploration.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #2537
KRviator

Quote:
Diesel over there's actually cheaper than Newcastle at the moment when you work out the exchange rate...$2.299 a litre around Maitland, works out to $2.50NZD a litre. Though doesn't matter which side of the Tasman you're on, the Government's still taking a bloody big cut...
KRviator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2023, 02:59 PM   #2538
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
Diesel over there's actually cheaper than Newcastle at the moment when you work out the exchange rate...$2.299 a litre around Maitland, works out to $2.50NZD a litre. Though doesn't matter which side of the Tasman you're on, the Government's still taking a bloody big cut...
We also pay road user charges on diesel vehicles $1000 per 10,000 Kms you need to factor that in as well.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:16 PM   #2539
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We're does it start, incompetent pollies sucking the life out of the motorist with high exise tax, the green dream, no way to process oil now so reliance on off shore supply, also at end of supply chain. And with Auckland a local exise tax added on, Then 15% gst which is also a a tax on tax with the exise portion. Maybe I have it wrong, but the motorist is always a easy target. Also our previous dictator put a ban on any oil or gas exploration.
Every country in the world(western) pays excise on fuel, without that money coming in, roads don’t get built etc..It is for infrastructure & roads.Stop ya whining!
Old 04-09-2023, 05:11 PM   #2540
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Every country in the world(western) pays excise on fuel, without that money coming in, roads don’t get built etc..It is for infrastructure & roads.Stop ya whining!
So where’s all Victoria’s fuel taxes going? Because I drove to Daylesford recently and there’s not much of a road left to get there.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2023, 05:51 PM   #2541
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you seen our roads. Brand new ones fall apart before they are open, built on the cheap and we are in a close run for potholes with Papua New Guinea. Not alot filters down to roading infrastructure, our govt also has a obsession with cycle ways, it is eyewatering the cost per km for those. Allgood I'll stop whining now.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM   #2542
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
So where’s all Victoria’s fuel taxes going? Because I drove to Daylesford recently and there’s not much of a road left to get there.
As I alluded to, fuel excise taxes goes into funding infrastructure & roads(fact) where do you think the funding for the Pacific Highway up to QLD comes from? The Barton highway between the A.C.T.border & Murrumbateman is currently being duplicated.This particular road has been an ongoing issue for nearly forty years.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:11 PM   #2543
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you seen our roads. Brand new ones fall apart before they are open, built on the cheap and we are in a close run for potholes with Papua New Guinea. Not alot filters down to roading infrastructure, our govt also has a obsession with cycle ways, it is eyewatering the cost per km for those. Allgood I'll stop whining now.
You have to remember there has been an enormous amount of rain in the country in the past two years, councils have had enormous amount of road repairs to do,(& they have literally been chasing their tales on road repairs)it does not happen o’vernight, & there is only so much money that can go around, everything has to be prioritised.Nearly all governments(state) are doing cycle ways.I have no issue with that one.(I don’t cycle btw.)
Old 04-09-2023, 07:05 PM   #2544
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have to remember there has been an enormous amount of rain in the country in the past two years, councils have had enormous amount of road repairs to do,(& they have literally been chasing their tales on road repairs)it does not happen o’vernight, & there is only so much money that can go around, everything has to be prioritised.Nearly all governments(state) are doing cycle ways.I have no issue with that one.(I don’t cycle btw.)
You reliaze I live in NZ.we spend half the year submerged always have.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:14 PM   #2545
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You reliaze I live in NZ.we spend half the year submerged always have.
How ‘unlucky’ for you!
Old 04-09-2023, 08:55 PM   #2546
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Funny that, I was in Daylesford on both Saturday and Sunday and I thought much of the same.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:07 PM   #2547
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How ‘unlucky’ for you!
Luck is in the eye of the beholder....
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2023, 09:17 PM   #2548
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I topped up with 95 today a disgusting $2.30p/L. Used my RAA card and got a further 4c a Litre to save a whopping $2.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2023, 09:37 AM   #2549
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I topped up with 95 today a disgusting $2.30p/L. Used my RAA card and got a further 4c a Litre to save a whopping $2.

Working from home lately so not needing to fill up for many weeks.
Was shocked at the price last week when I did need to put a bit of 91 in the AU.
And that day was asked if I had an RAA card. Never knew this was a thing. And the bloke serving tells me its been like this for about 2 years
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2023, 09:50 AM   #2550
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Been paying $2.18/L for 98 here yesterday central VIC.

MVP is LPG at the moment around Melbourne, it's disappearing at a rate of knots but it's 0.77/L compared to $2/L for 91