Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Power lifting????.

Is there anybody here that is involved in power lifting, I have a few good mate's that are trying to con me into it, I've been into bodybuilding for a while now, 10 odd yr's but never really got into power lifting, my mate's are all very big blokes and are going for a compitition that is coming up soon BUT my biggest concern is DRUG's, I know my mate's are not into it and do it drug free but some off the other blokes you should see, they are HUGE, and I believe from what I hear are well into drug's, but they all say power lifting is better for putting on size, I'm quite happy with my size now though 90+kg, all my mates are over 100kg, but they don't spend as much time doing it as well?????,so does anyone else powerlift???.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stick with your body build stuff ...power lifting is fine but you do end up huge and when you stop it turns to fat.

Look at Dean Lukin in his prime and look at him now it took alot of work to get rid of the bulk and be normal.

And above all else stay away from the roids they only make you nasty.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
some off the other blokes you should see, they are HUGE, and I believe from what I hear are well into drug's, but they all say power lifting is better for putting on size
Bulls**t... when you're on the steroids you'll get big doing any sort of weight training whether it be powerlifting, lifting for endurance or general bodybuilding.

Personally, i don't see a point in powerlifting because your body is simply not capable of supporting so much weight. Ask around and you'll find that most MASSIVE guys that are currently on the juice or have been in the past would have suffered a major joint injury at some point due to the excessive weight they were lifting. Makes sense when you think about it - the muscles around the joint get stronger but the joint itself doesn't and as we know everything has a breaking point..

My training partner and i always say - its not what you lift, its what it looks like you can lift. Too many people get sucked into comparing weights (hense d**k sizes) and they either:

a) get injured or
b) wonder why they're not getting bigger

We see it all the time at the gym... guys that are literally skin & bone lifting the same weights as we do even though we're 2 or 3 times bigger. They seem to forget its not quantity but quality.

My advise would be to stick to what you're doing. Focus on your form and on getting the most out of your workouts. If you're happy with your size continue to maintain what you have, otherwise look at your diet and buy a few suppliments to help you get bigger.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Stick with your body build stuff ...power lifting is fine but you do end up huge and when you stop it turns to fat.
Common myth but its absolute crap. I suppose you've also heard that fat turns into muscle too? Thats another one of my favourites..

The only reason people end up fat is because they continue to eat the same amount of food as when they were training.
Old 22-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah I was never going to get into drug's, all my mates are drug free, it's the other blokes that they compete againt's that are on them, and you can tell, they say they arn't but yeah right, I'm quite happy with my physique now, I'd probably like to gain another 10kg and put me into the 100kg size but that's it, it's hard enough now consuming all this food every day, I have it working out well with my intake off protein/ complex carb's and fat and I'm enjoying what I do, it's just totally different to power lifting.
Old 22-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chich....go and do another 20 reps at 120 on the bench and calm down!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Common myth but its absolute crap. I suppose you've also heard that fat turns into muscle too? Thats another one of my favourites..

The only reason people end up fat is because they continue to eat the same amount of food as when they were training.
Yeah I thought that to.
Old 23-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

What power lifting?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
What power lifting?
What do you mean?.
Old 23-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Haha, sorry, I meant to say "What is Power lifting?"

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

Have you seen Schwarzenegger recently, he's hardly the Terminator. He couldn't even shape up for T3!!

Muscle mass doesn't last forever!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Power lifting is better for putting on size.You basically concentrate on compound exercises ;low reps and you get big.However when you push too hard something will break. Despite these guys claiming it is healthy well that depends on how heavy you go. Stenozinol and horse hormones will make you huge but these guys get tired just like a fat person. Phyisique training /bodybuilding is a good sport as long as you dont overdo it. Dont kill the muscle make it grow. Do some aerobics for cardio and take a good vitamin supplement. Many of the strongest men in the world die at a young age from heart attacks and they pull trains and stuff like that. Stick with what you are doing...

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
chich....go and do another 20 reps at 120 on the bench and calm down!
I'm always calm I've heard the "you'll get fat when you stop" myth so many times that its beginning to get very annoying. By the way - 20 reps is about 12 more than necessary :nutsycuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Have you seen Schwarzenegger recently, he's hardly the Terminator. He couldn't even shape up for T3!!

It doesn't last forever but you can maintain a decent size if you want to by continuing to train and by eating the right foods at the right time. I've seen many guys in their mid 50s that are still quite big. Its just a matter of how dedicated you are.
Old 23-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is there anybody here that is involved in power lifting, I have a few good mate's that are trying to con me into it, I've been into bodybuilding for a while now, 10 odd yr's but never really got into power lifting, my mate's are all very big blokes and are going for a compitition that is coming up soon BUT my biggest concern is DRUG's, I know my mate's are not into it and do it drug free but some off the other blokes you should see, they are HUGE, and I believe from what I hear are well into drug's, but they all say power lifting is better for putting on size, I'm quite happy with my size now though 90+kg, all my mates are over 100kg, but they don't spend as much time doing it as well?????,so does anyone else powerlift???.
Ive been into bodybuilding now for 20 years, powerlifting is a "powersport" that requires a much different approach to diet and training philosophy, personally you'll get allot more satisfaction from bodybuilding because it gives you aesthetic rewards, powerlifting type training will train the muscle to be more efficient (stronger), and a large component of powerlifting is about lifting technique i:E clean and jerk, however your shape and visual condition will suffer, because powerlifters generally consume as many calories as possible with less emphasis on quality....

Old 23-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

One of my dirvers is a power lifter... He is f'ing huge but has lost alot of the definition he once had.. I dont doubt his is a strong mofo but he is bordering on 'chubby' because he just doesnt look as cut as he once was...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah I think I'll stick with what I am doing at the moment, I'm happy with my progress and enjoy doing it, what are most off us benching at the moment, I'm benching 110kg for 8rep's x4 and one off my mates that does the powerlifting is benching 135kg but he only does one rep, but still you notice the difference between 110-135kg, it might not sound like much but it is.
Old 23-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #17
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

body building and power lifting you will shrink when you stop no matter what.
if yuo rgoing into power lifting for the sake of competing it would be rather pointless going up against people on drugs as you may have little to no hope. like a nitrous drag car vs non nitrous identicle car.
i say stick with bb because power lifting will only lead to injurys sloppy form heavy squats and deadlifts wont do much good.
think about what you will be like at 60 you wont be able to move from what you put your body through

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
bob^
LPS

Your one rep max would be somewhere close to the 135kg wouldn't it? Theres a power lifter that comes into my work often, and although he is pretty big, he too is more on the chubby looking side.
Arnie had trouble getting back into shape for T3 because bodybuilding is no longer his career. He's into politics now, his priorities have changed. For someone that is 59 years old, he's still in not that bad shape!
Theres a before-after photo going around of him which shows a lot of stretched skin and fat on him which a lot of people seem to think is real. That gives people the idea that the muscle will turn into fat once you stop training.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

i cant remember the exact percentage but i think 8 reps is about 80 odd percent of your 1rm.
muscle wont turn to fat muscle will degrade and fat will take its spot rather

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Yeah I think I'll stick with what I am doing at the moment, I'm happy with my progress and enjoy doing it, what are most off us benching at the moment, I'm benching 110kg for 8rep's x4 and one off my mates that does the powerlifting is benching 135kg but he only does one rep, but still you notice the difference between 110-135kg, it might not sound like much but it is.
No offense to your mate but 135kg is not powerlifting. If he's one of the ones you mentioned earlier that weighs around 100kg he should be pushing around 200kg plus if he's "powerlifting".
I have a mate who used to powerlift now competes in natural bodybuilding. He has always been natural. 5'9" 78kg and benches 150kg for 2 reps.
True powerlifting or bodybuilding is a lifestyle. If you enjoy what your doing now keep it up. From personel experience the lifestyle sucks!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #21
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

Look at Dean Lukin in his prime and look at him now it took alot of work to get rid of the bulk and be normal.

And above all else stay away from the roids they only make you nasty.
Wrong. There are powerlifters of all shapes and sizes and you don't get "big" over night - many powerlifters myself included are 170lbs at 8% BF which is extremely healthy. You're also misinformed about steroids - there are drugs produced to counter act the side effects of steroids, ACNE etc. Also if you can find me a direct link between steroids and death please show me.
Josho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #22
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:

My training partner and i always say - its not what you lift, its what it looks like you can lift. Too many people get sucked into comparing weights (hense d**k sizes) and they either:

a) get injured or
b) wonder why they're not getting bigger

We see it all the time at the gym... guys that are literally skin & bone lifting the same weights as we do even though we're 2 or 3 times bigger. They seem to forget its not quantity but quality.
Your training partner and you are ricers "all show and no go", IMO. But in saying this a "skin and bones" who is lifting the same weight as you must not be lifting too much, because I have never seen "skin and bones" benching 315lbs. You seem to be forgetting that quantity (amount lifted) is needed to get quality(good body) I have never seen an IFBB pro that can lift 'light' weights.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #23
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

So you expect 59 year old with a huge workload (governor) to maintain the body he had in his prime?.....
Old 26-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #24
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Power lifting is better for putting on size.You basically concentrate on compound exercises ;low reps and you get big.However when you push too hard something will break. Despite these guys claiming it is healthy well that depends on how heavy you go. Stenozinol and horse hormones will make you huge but these guys get tired just like a fat person. Phyisique training /bodybuilding is a good sport as long as you dont overdo it. Dont kill the muscle make it grow. Do some aerobics for cardio and take a good vitamin supplement. Many of the strongest men in the world die at a young age from heart attacks and they pull trains and stuff like that. Stick with what you are doing...
Many of them die because they are 300lbs+ which their heart can't maintain. Like I said before powerlifting doesn't get you big all night. It takes years of dedication and correct diet and training to become even remotely their size.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
Wrong. There are powerlifters of all shapes and sizes and you don't get "big" over night - many powerlifters myself included are 170lbs at 8% BF which is extremely healthy. You're also misinformed about steroids - there are drugs produced to counter act the side effects of steroids, ACNE etc. Also if you can find me a direct link between steroids and death please show me.
Steroids just shag your organs- heart, liver etc. You seem to know a bit about the roids, do you use them? Being so protective of someone saying they are bad makes it seem like you do. Correct me if i'm wrong, I just think people who use roids are cheaters and just too lazy to do it the hard way like I do.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #26
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive been into bodybuilding now for 20 years, powerlifting is a "powersport" that requires a much different approach to diet and training philosophy, personally you'll get allot more satisfaction from bodybuilding because it gives you aesthetic rewards, powerlifting type training will train the muscle to be more efficient (stronger), and a large component of powerlifting is about lifting technique i:E clean and jerk, however your shape and visual condition will suffer, because powerlifters generally consume as many calories as possible with less emphasis on quality....
Clean and Jerk is predominately an Olympic movement, although is used in some powerlifting circles to enhance the Big 3. IMO, powerlifting is mush more staisfying as it awes people when they see a 170lbs putting up 405lbs.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #27
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I know a few steriod users, every one has had nasty side effects, not worth the gain IMO.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #28
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Steroids just shag your organs- heart, liver etc. You seem to know a bit about the roids, do you use them? Being so protective of someone saying they are bad makes it seem like you do. Correct me if i'm wrong, I just think people who use roids are cheaters and just too lazy to do it the hard way like I do.
Show me a reference where they "shag" your organs and I'll happily admit I'm wrong. People who use roids are NOT cheaters they are just as dedicated if not more than natural lifters look at IFBB pro's, although I must admit there are many newcomers to lifting who are too lazy to workout to build a good base and go straight to roids, this is not the case however of top IFBB pro's, powerlifters and the like.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #29
BlueJ

If you enjoy powerlifting, go for it, but keep it in check. As others have said remember that you will be putting far more load on your joints when deadlifting and squatting. Just because your muscles are strong enough to lift a weight doesn't mean that you should.

I used to find variety is the spice of life when weight training. I mixed up powerlifting (good for ego, bad for back), high-rep bodybuilding and even some weight lifting occasionally to keep things interesting.

I combined the weights with some regular swimming which kept me reasonably flexible.

Now I am a fat lazy slob lol but don't let that put you off...
BlueJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #30
Josho
Mini > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I know a few steriod users, every one has had nasty side effects, not worth the gain IMO.
Most of your friends have no access to Post cycle drugs hence the "nasty" side effects. The Australian steroid market at best is "bad"