Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Why is it so bad that the car will go back to being a 4cyl car? If it has more power and talk and relates it well to the road then what's the issue? These comments are as bad as 'only milk comes in 2 litres'.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #32
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Why is it so bad that the car will go back to being a 4cyl car? If it has more power and talk and relates it well to the road then what's the issue? These comments are as bad as 'only milk comes in 2 litres'.
Point taken, but have you ever driven the 5cyl? The engine is in it's own league. I drove most available hot hatches on the market and the Focus was the one that took the cake because of the 5 pot. The only 4 banger that came close was the Golf GTi.

The XR5 blokes are pretty dedicated to their 5 pots because we all drive them on a daily basis and know how good these things perform.

That being said, no one knows what the new Focus will be like. I won't make judgement on the car until i've driven it.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #33
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
To the XR5 owners who are getting all so cut up, read the next sentence 1000 times then shoosh it! :P

The ST / XR4 / whatever will smoke the XR5 in EVERY way!
Bar the sound of course!

BTW, I quite like it as it's being a design leader - ie: starting something new, not continuing the old...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #34
Windsor220
Now Fordless

It will no doubt go good. Its a shocking looker though.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
To the XR5 owners who are getting all so cut up, read the next sentence 1000 times then shoosh it! :P

The ST / XR4 / whatever will smoke the XR5 in EVERY way!
Bar the sound of course!
Your an idiot. Read that a 1,000 times. I wish you would Shoosh it.

Wheres the Moron Emoticon?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

Hmph. Takes one to know one :P
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
Point taken, but have you ever driven the 5cyl?
Yeah I drove one when they first came into the country. Not mind blowing, but it was much better then the NA models.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah I drove one when they first came into the country. Not mind blowing, but it was much better then the NA models.
Obviously not long enough.

I know this new ST will be a great car indeed, but it will never be an XR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6

The ST / XR4 / whatever will smoke the XR5 in EVERY way! Bar the sound of course!

BTW, I quite like it as it's being a design leader - ie: starting something new, not continuing the old...
is with this post? I couldnt care if it will 'smoke' the XR5 it will never look as good.
Design leader? There is some LV in that shape.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #39
entheos

I don't care if it's faster than my car....there's plenty of cars out there faster than mine....BUT...the issue with it is that it becomes 'just another 4cyl turbo' irrespective of the L of the motor....it's comments like yours 'fordman6' which show ones immaturity....I don't know what you drive....and I don't really care....We're not cut up about the fact that someone else is going to buy a car which isn't all that unique, we're upset that the 5cyl motor isn't able to continue so people who buy it in the future won't have the experience of the 5-POT...You are right the sound will just be the same as any other 4 cylinder....but it's just going to perform like any other 4cyl turbo of it's class....there's nothing that makes it it's own car....now it's just one of the crowd....

Oh and I encourage any of the new Focus ST/XR4/whatever, to come up against my XR5, and we'll see who smokes who... ;)
Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #40
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time to kill this thread before you all come to blows (Moderators included)
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #41
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look people all hatchbacks hot or not are 4 cylinder, the focus stood alone in a place where it was the only car available if you wanted a hatchback but didnt want a 4 cylinder, the 5 cylinder engine in the volvo goes great is smooth makes great power it sounds fantastic with its burbles and pops I struggle to see how even ford can make a 4 cylinder better, no other manufacturer can beat the combo VW etc.. so what makes you think Ford can better this car with a 4 cylinder when no other manufacturer can?? Fords great and all but this is a mammoth call making a better one than the 5 cylinder volvo weapon, and in RS trim the thing is orgasmic I am struggling to see how the same can be achieved with a 4 cylinder, to those that dont care about this before you start stomping on everybodies' toes remember there are PLENTY that this is a big deal to and that do care

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
look people all hatchbacks hot or not are 4 cylinder, the focus stood alone in a place where it was the only car available if you wanted a hatchback but didnt want a 4 cylinder, the 5 cylinder engine in the volvo goes great is smooth makes great power it sounds fantastic with its burbles and pops I struggle to see how even ford can make a 4 cylinder better, no other manufacturer can beat the combo VW etc.. so what makes you think Ford can better this car with a 4 cylinder when no other manufacturer can?? Fords great and all but this is a mammoth call making a better one than the 5 cylinder volvo weapon, and in RS trim the thing is orgasmic I am struggling to see how the same can be achieved with a 4 cylinder, to those that dont care about this before you start stomping on everybodies' toes remember there are PLENTY that this is a big deal to and that do care
Here here
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #43
FORD5

Wow that new Focus looks great,

And I agree they should just name it ST and be done with it.
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #44
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #45
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Time to settle down a bit peoples..
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #46
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
I Want Those Seats. End Of Story.
Yet you baulked at the idea of stripes on your XR5 when I asked you. I'm assuming it's the design of the seats you're endeared to, not the colours, because I'm a bloke who'd do stripes on my cars (Did it with the Fiesta, the Clio, and I'll work out something for my Golf when it arrives, maybe a Carbon fibre wrap roof... heh), and I think that black and orange is like something out of an action man vehicle, it's terrible.

As one of the guys said here, its just too bussy, fussy and cheap looking. Same largely goes for the rest of the car. While I really really love the front of it, the car as a whole seems like it's getting too big and long. Like a small station wagon, it no longer looks like a hatch (I'll reserve my judgement till I see the 3 door). The back and the dashboard like the seats just seem far too busy, a mishmash of lines that go here and there and don't seem to flow. Tail lights are an odd shape. Its a shame really, that Ford can bang out something as sensual looking as the Fiesta, and just take it too far on the Focus. A real shame IMO.

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #47
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Point taken, but have you ever driven the 5cyl? The engine is in it's own league. I drove most available hot hatches on the market and the Focus was the one that took the cake because of the 5 pot. The only 4 banger that came close was the Golf GTi.

The XR5 blokes are pretty dedicated to their 5 pots because we all drive them on a daily basis and know how good these things perform.

That being said, no one knows what the new Focus will be like. I won't make judgement on the car until i've driven it.
And might I just add George that your comments simply come across like you are discounting 4 cylinders because they are 4 cyinders. Mate, we no longer live in the 80's the Four cylinder is a GREAT engine. I've told you time and again mate.

TBH I think you chose the XR5 over the GTi Because it was a FORD (the XR5 comes close to the GTI... NOT the other way around). And that my friend is fine, and I love the fact that you are Ford mad and you have every right to be passionate. But you seem to be implying that the GTI is slower than the Focus, or didn't perform as well. Well thats totally wrong. The GTI is a faster vehicle stock than your XR5 (but it is also more expensive).

Mate when I bought the Clio, I drove both GTI and XR5 and Clio. The XR5 was at the bottom of my list. I loved it, loved the noise and the silky smooth and punchy power delivery. But it was off pace compared to the other two (and definitely did NOT handle like the Renault). Most motoring reviews get mid to low 7s 0-100 times for the XR5. The Clio pulls 6.8, and I have g-teched mine at 6.5s. It will also pull 8.5l/100 all day and it is a FOUR CYLINDER. Yet you Baulked at the idea that a 4 cylinder Renault could even do so much as be mentioned in the same SENTENCE as your XR5 when I pointed this out to you.

Mate, its the simple reason why the VW R32 is now a Golf R. The golf R I have ordered pulls a 5.36 0-100 and a 13.6 Quarter (tested by MOTOR) and guess what mate, It's also a (shock horror) FOUR CYLINDER, and probably uses a metric assload less fuel than an XR5. I see only good coming out of Fords decision to pull the 5 cylinder motor. Its NOT necessary in a hatch. it's closer to suitable in the Mondeo, or even the Falcon.

Face it and stop acting like a one eyed redneck (we went to school together bud and I KNOW how effing smart you are so I find it frustrating that your attitude is so myopic). Four cylinder engines are economical, Fast, oh and did I mention that they were Fast?? The new 4cyl ST will beat the XR5, JUST as the new Golf R beats the R32. Yes we miss out on a wonderful creamy sonerous engine note, but its not all about that.

What will you do when you're ready to say goodbye to your XR5 now?? You better change your attitude becasue if you continue to deride anything with 4 Cylinders then my friend you are missing out on some SENSATIONAL Drivers cars that are out there....

-Dan
Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #48
HSE2

Disappointing. Not keen on the front or the rear. Head lights look to be too high and the rear tail lights look like they belong somewhere else. And by that I mean a long long long way away.

Black might work
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #49
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
And might I just add George that your comments simply come across like you are discounting 4 cylinders because they are 4 cyinders. Mate, we no longer live in the 80's the Four cylinder is a GREAT engine. I've told you time and again mate.

TBH I think you chose the XR5 over the GTi Because it was a FORD (the XR5 comes close to the GTI... NOT the other way around). And that my friend is fine, and I love the fact that you are Ford mad and you have every right to be passionate. But you seem to be implying that the GTI is slower than the Focus, or didn't perform as well. Well thats totally wrong. The GTI is a faster vehicle stock than your XR5 (but it is also more expensive).

Mate when I bought the Clio, I drove both GTI and XR5 and Clio. The XR5 was at the bottom of my list. I loved it, loved the noise and the silky smooth and punchy power delivery. But it was off pace compared to the other two (and definitely did NOT handle like the Renault). Most motoring reviews get mid to low 7s 0-100 times for the XR5. The Clio pulls 6.8, and I have g-teched mine at 6.5s. It will also pull 8.5l/100 all day and it is a FOUR CYLINDER. Yet you Baulked at the idea that a 4 cylinder Renault could even do so much as be mentioned in the same SENTENCE as your XR5 when I pointed this out to you.

Mate, its the simple reason why the VW R32 is now a Golf R. The golf R I have ordered pulls a 5.36 0-100 and a 13.6 Quarter (tested by MOTOR) and guess what mate, It's also a (shock horror) FOUR CYLINDER, and probably uses a metric assload less fuel than an XR5. I see only good coming out of Fords decision to pull the 5 cylinder motor. Its NOT necessary in a hatch. it's closer to suitable in the Mondeo, or even the Falcon.

Face it and stop acting like a one eyed redneck (we went to school together bud and I KNOW how effing smart you are so I find it frustrating that your attitude is so myopic). Four cylinder engines are economical, Fast, oh and did I mention that they were Fast?? The new 4cyl ST will beat the XR5, JUST as the new Golf R beats the R32. Yes we miss out on a wonderful creamy sonerous engine note, but its not all about that.

What will you do when you're ready to say goodbye to your XR5 now?? You better change your attitude becasue if you continue to deride anything with 4 Cylinders then my friend you are missing out on some SENSATIONAL Drivers cars that are out there....

-Dan
****yawn**** The GTI forums are located here. www.i'monmyhighhorseagain.com
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #50
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I own a LT XR5T and I love it to bits.
The 5 cylinder is a gem, sounds good and has a good range of power.
It isn't the quickest hatch out there but for me it's a fantastic car, I love driving it.
If there were two things that I would change, i'd like bluetooth and dual zone climate control.

As for the new ST, I am a little disappointed it misses out on the 5 cylinder but I have no doubt it will be a decent car. While the styling isn't to everyone's taste, I do like it.
The interior is much better but does look a little too busy. I hope it sells well and every owner that has one will be just as happy as I am with my XR5.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #51
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't compare a golf GTi to a Focus ST compare it to the RS, and in which case the RS has the sound and will annihilate the GTi BTW 13 sec quarters.. there are heaps of cars of all kinds of shapes sizes and badges that can do 13 sec quarters, and for the record the GTi isn't a damn drag car and if its so good dragging 4 cylinders let the top fuel guys know they are doing it all wrong with boosted v8s..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #52
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
don't compare a golf GTi to a Focus ST compare it to the RS, and in which case the RS has the sound and will annihilate the GTi BTW 13 sec quarters.. there are heaps of cars of all kinds of shapes sizes and badges that can do 13 sec quarters, and for the record the GTi isn't a damn drag car and if its so good dragging 4 cylinders let the top fuel guys know they are doing it all wrong with boosted v8s..

Golf GTi = Focus ST
Golf R = Focus RS
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #53
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Can I just say I wasn't dissing the XR5 in anyway - I think it's better than all other hot hatches! Maybe except the RS! :P

All I was trying to say is that I am agreeing with Ford's decision to go with the new EcoBoost 2.0 and that those XR5 owners are trying to take it as if we are saying the 5 cyl. is crap! Which it is not!

Back on topic...

I'll have that interior thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #54
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

yes i agree. back on topic. Danny, you have a PM mate.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #55
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I think the new look kinda reminds me of a mazda from certain angles and yes there are queues from the LV. There are things I like about it and things I don't but I do strongly think they should drop the XR5 name and call it an ST as the ST name is more recognisable worldwide as is the RS. I like the multicoloured interior but I'm not keen on a orange-black combo, I'd certainly like to know what other colour combinations are available.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh as much as I am the RS but for the time being I love my underpowered stock 107kw 4-pot engine and wouldn't trade it in for anything.

For those lucky enough to have bought the XR5 with the 5-pot then you are the lucky ones as now your cars are exclusive. As time passes there will be fewer and fewer and as such their value will start going back up again.

I support Ford in their decision to drop the 5-pot. Not becasue I didn't like the engine but purely because Ford made it. Ford have been faced with descisons before and although we as enthusiests may not agree with them all. Ford is still here whilst many other companies are not.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #56
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
yes i agree. back on topic. Danny, you have a PM mate.
Thanks George, for your entertaining PM.

I'll go out and say this to all. I have two Fast Fords, a Renault and a VeeDub on order. I'm all sorts, not loyal to any brand (other than the fact I hate Holden hsv), I am not pushing any agenda thanks bucknaked. I'm just as passionate about the four bangers than you guys are about your fives.

There is no need to discount a vehicle because it has less than 5 cylinders. It's stupid. When the next ST comes out you mark my words: all you will be mssing out on is that wonderful noise...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #57
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Award for the dumbest post in this thread......

my only gripe with this 4clynder turbo design is that how it makes the power. old turbo's used to have to wait untill about 3-4k to hit max boost. i know this is not the case with the new turbo's but i do feel that it may be marked down in the motor test and reviews for latency.

I know ford UK will do all they can to ensure this is not the case, but i just hope it doesnt get bagged out for it. If we look at the GTI and the 225R , we know the tech is there, lets just hope ford use it.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #58
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

That CarAdvice article was getting painful with all those XR5 references to the new model.

I think personally the XR name should stay for the local models. Theres always going to be something out of place whatever direction they take. I reckon dealers given the choice would prefer to be able to line up XR Fiesta's, Focus's and Falcons on the floor as opposed to keeping them all in their own corner.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Yet you baulked at the idea of stripes on your XR5 when I asked you. I'm assuming it's the design of the seats you're endeared to, not the colours, because I'm a bloke who'd do stripes on my cars (Did it with the Fiesta, the Clio, and I'll work out something for my Golf when it arrives, maybe a Carbon fibre wrap roof... heh), and I think that black and orange is like something out of an action man vehicle, it's terrible.

As one of the guys said here, its just too bussy, fussy and cheap looking. Same largely goes for the rest of the car. While I really really love the front of it, the car as a whole seems like it's getting too big and long. Like a small station wagon, it no longer looks like a hatch (I'll reserve my judgement till I see the 3 door). The back and the dashboard like the seats just seem far too busy, a mishmash of lines that go here and there and don't seem to flow. Tail lights are an odd shape. Its a shame really, that Ford can bang out something as sensual looking as the Fiesta, and just take it too far on the Focus. A real shame IMO.

-Dan
Coming from someone who bought a Clio.
How do you get the 'too long' idea?
Feista, sensual hhhmmm righto
Anyway i have nothing against 4cyl turbo cars, my opinion is that the I5T will be missed, you have never owned one so you wont know what they are like.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #60
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Wow I5T owners are as touching as T and BOSS guys..

Saying anything bad about this engine is like the people bagging the 5.0 in the FPV's...no one has a clue yet and do you really think Ford would take a step backwards?

Its only natural to defend what you own, the decision you made, but I certainly dont think my AU is better than a FG (although debatable in some areas.. ).

Ford are moving forward with their design language, this is a good thing as the current crop is nice but very conservative. Although that fuel flap looks a bit NQR.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post