Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Katherine NT

Wondering whether any members live, or have family they visit in Katherine in the NT. My dad just moved there and mum goes soon, so it looks like I'll be making a trip there for visits. (They couldn't have moved to Brisbane or Darwin. Had to be remote. Typical) Thinking maybe we could organise a cruise : Just kidding. I would be keen to know if anyone lives there or has been there for any period of time. Just after a general run down of the town. Like things to do and see, pubs the refresh my palette etc etc. Also, whats the best time of year to go. I hate it really humid and hot. I have my limits. I imagine being inland, its also hot and dusty?

Thanks in advance

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Katherine should be a much nicer place than it is. Sadly, like the Alice, they are going through a transition period. Due to the political nature of the current government there are hundreds of illiterate, unempolyable people drifting into town. There is nowhere for these people to live, so they live rough. They hit the turps harder than any human should. Katherine has become a very violent place. As has the Alice.

Weather wise, it is always at least a little sticky. But you get used to it. Best times to visit is from about May until september. It is not a hot and dusty place. It is more tropical than anything else. Katherine hotel/motel is a nice enough pub, but stay away from the public bar. There are also some other no go places around town, but someone that lives there might be better placed to update you on these places.
I hope your folk enjoy their stay there, having just said all the above the town does have a strong sense of community and is fairly laid back. I think that once you get used to some things, you will enjoy it.
Keep a hanky doused in after shave in your pocket. And never give away any money or smokes.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
trikee
overdriven

i was up in darwin over the easter weekend for powercruise, and the whether was actually quite bearable to my surprise. i thought it would've been worse than it was.

but hey, i live in sydney. you may have issue buckie... :ticking:
trikee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies. I am not all that keen to go there for a visit. Their decision to move to the outback to a small town displeases me greatly. I think they could have chosen Darwin or QLD for the warm weather. The main reason that they have gone is for work. Dad a chef, mum and daycare mum. Both have work there with dad having already started. If I visit, I guess I want to know what I'm in for.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Keep a hanky doused in after shave in your pocket.
I don't get that one... pwease expwain!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Dog House
Starter Motor

Read his post carefully. Man they stink!!!!!!! Never wash mate
Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House
:
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

ah i see...i didn't see how it would work in your pocket...but good idea i guess...

Its amazing how strong BO is, we have a work truck which is imported from japan (tiny mitsubishi canter) and every morning i get in it, it stinks of sweat and its real pongy!
We joke its the canter from the TV ad with the sumo's.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I don't get that one... pwease expwain!
Like dog house said, the smell of these people is almost a religious experience. I have seen people heave thier guts due to the smell. The hanky is just a stop gap measure, wip it out and take a sniff. And if they get wet, well, think wet dog X 10.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
skeets

My uncle is one of the local doctors and my brother, his wife and 3 kids live there. I visited in '95 planned to stay a couple of weeks ended up staying 6 months. Then went back after the flood in '98 and helped my brother rebuild his home. My husband and I went for a cruise (in the Territory) in October 2005 weather was hot but everywhere has A/C. There are some beautiful places to swim. The people I have met through my family have all been really laid back and very friendly, and they do love to drink.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
r8response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Like dog house said, the smell of these people is almost a religious experience. I have seen people heave thier guts due to the smell. The hanky is just a stop gap measure, wip it out and take a sniff. And if they get wet, well, think wet dog X 10.
Alternatively you could cross the street, unfortunately theres a good chance you'll face more of the same problem. or like myself, take a deep breath and walk just that little bit faster
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
kempster1

The Katherine Hotel/motel is very simular to a Thursday in the todd taven outbackjack.

Where is that Hanky
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
The Katherine Hotel/motel is very simular to a Thursday in the todd taven outbackjack.

Where is that Hanky
With the amount of welfare and royalities these people get, every day is a thursday here at the moment..... : : :
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #14
kempster1

Very true
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #15
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:ticking: The DREAMTIME is every second Thursday
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
hahahaha!......i'll pay that one...

also (and i hope this doesnt get edited as there is nothing bad meant by this) nothing against em but.........spot the white guy.
when we were there we felt so out of place.......

i hope your folks arent fond of McDonalds, as theres no maccas there (not that we could find)

otherwise, what we saw of the place, it was nice, the nat park is awesome and would love to go back for a much better look in the dry season
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #17
kempster1

To be honest Katherine was not that bad, I would move back there before Alice Springs.
I lived there for 14 years, I did my secondary schooling there, my apprentiship, meet my wife there and was married there.
They do have a problem with the locals, and the main street is a place to be avoided at certain times (late at night on a Thurday being a prime time)
Also you need good flood insurance

Things it has going for it:
-Katherine Gorge, stunning place to spend time if you like looking at the oz bush. Go for for some 2 or 3 day walks in the park, well worth the effort.
-Mataranka thermal pools, great place for a beer and a cuddle in the evening on weekends.
-Darwin is only 3 hours away (was only 2 but you now have speed limits), great city to have fun in.
-Stunning river system to fish and swim in.
-Great sporting community (Strong rugby league community)

Still have many good friends there
Old 13-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Been thru a few times on holidays going to Darwin and Litchfield National Park ( a must see place).
Katherine is a dive, drunks laying about all over the place, they're speedhumps on the roadway, lying about everywhere.
been to Halls Creek? same deal.
Old 13-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
also (and i hope this doesnt get edited as there is nothing bad meant by this) nothing against em but.........spot the white guy.
when we were there we felt so out of place.......

i hope your folks arent fond of McDonalds, as theres no maccas there (not that we could find)
I did a little research on Katherine and apparently it has a population of 9,000 and 1/3 of the population are aboriginals. I suspect that maybe another 1/3 of the residents are military. There must be outlying aboriginal communities because I've looked at a map, and it doesn't look all that big.

No Macca's. Gold. My mum and dad have care of my 3 neices who are moving as well and they can't survive without Macca's. Looks like Uncle Buckie will have to break the news to them. :
Old 13-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #20
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

I wasup there around 93ish
I remember walking in to the local supermarket. One of the local women was
laying on the floor wearing only a pair of knickers (which were on her head by the way)
screamming F#@% ME F#@% ME
It was a real eye opener, and yes I think it was a Thursday.

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I did a little research on Katherine and apparently it has a population of 9,000 and 1/3 of the population are aboriginals. I suspect that maybe another 1/3 of the residents are military. There must be outlying aboriginal communities because I've looked at a map, and it doesn't look all that big.
The official number of Aboriginals would be about 3000. But on top of that you would have to add about another 3000 itinerants from the out laying communities. They drift into the towns because their communities are almost un liveable (read trashed) and in search of the dream time brew of choice (VB). It is happening all over the territory at the moment. It would seem that Clare is spending all our money on Darwin spa baths and there is none left over for anything else. :
Old 13-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trashed like Everleigh Street in Redfern. I used to drive down there daily in 1981 and it was just a normal street, now its "the Block" a No go zone, demolished. La Perouse is the same. They rip out the floor boards and make a fire in the sand with them. Whatever they are given they stuff. That and the STOLEN generation has become the STEALING generation. The DREAMTIME has turned into a bloody nightmare
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Been thru a few times on holidays going to Darwin and Litchfield National Park ( a must see place).
Katherine is a dive, drunks laying about all over the place, they're speedhumps on the roadway, lying about everywhere.
been to Halls Creek? same deal.
i lived in fitzroy crossing for a year, no doubt much worse than Katherine...but once you get used to it, it's not so bad.
the worst part is when really dodgy people like Bradley Murdoch (yes the guy who got arrested for killing Peter Falconio) doing their monthly drug run, thats when the aboriginal comunities really start to get violent.

Murdoch used to work at the mechanics there, apparently he absolutely hates aboriginals and a few years ago he had a few too many so he decided to go on a shooting spree, luckily he didn't kill anyone...he is quite well known by the police.

Anyway i'm sure Katherine is nice..
Old 13-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think anywhere like Alice, Katherine or Darwin is going to be a tough place. I did live in Darwin as a kid and loved it. Only been back once. If anything, I really want to go visit a lot of the old WW2 strips and catch up on a bit of history. For what I can see on the maps, theres a fair few of them. When I was in Darwin 8 years ago, I visited the oil tanks they have near the bay area. An interetsing peice of history.
Old 13-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #25
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think anywhere like Alice, Katherine or Darwin is going to be a tough place. I did live in Darwin as a kid and loved it. Only been back once. If anything, I really want to go visit a lot of the old WW2 strips and catch up on a bit of history. For what I can see on the maps, theres a fair few of them. When I was in Darwin 8 years ago, I visited the oil tanks they have near the bay area. An interetsing peice of history.
I wil have to have a chat with you about Australia's WW2 history in the top end. Especially the aviation history.

Cheers.
Old 13-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #26
kempster1

I have been to most of the NT's ww2 airstrips, there is still some interesting stuff in the bush around them.
Some of the better ones are on the Islands accross the topend, croker Is, Goulburn Is and Elcho Is.

There are many good small displays to to help you put the ww2 history together and one of them is in Katherine. The musuem is out near the hospital on the way to the gorge.

I meet an old guy where I currently live when I got to the Island (he has since passed away), he was based in Darwin during the bombings, we had many long talks.
Allot of these guys did it real hard.

I would also be interested in any discussion on this subject.
Old 14-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #27
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew someone ages ago who's dad flew Kittyhawks out of Darwin, saw the air museum there a few years ago, fantastic.
Old 14-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #28
Dog House
Starter Motor

Of course there is another positive about Katherine. Every June from the 29th I think.. Outback Jack correct me if I'm wrong.....you can buy fireworks and plenty of them for about 2-3 days to celebrate NT day! We bought hundreds of the buggers back to Queensland.
Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #29
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course there is another positive about Katherine. Every June from the 29th I think.. Outback Jack correct me if I'm wrong.....you can buy fireworks and plenty of them for about 2-3 days to celebrate NT day! We bought hundreds of the buggers back to Queensland.
awsome ,so the Alice does have at least one good thing going for it,hahahaha, its a pity anyone has to go through it on their way to Darwin,maybe they should build a truck bypass like they have done to many towns.
hey brudder ya got a smoke,NO,how about 2bucks
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #30
BZINGA