Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I knew it was only a matter of time... Imported overseas workers for mining.

http://www.news.com.au/business/gina...-1226367122453

Old 25-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I knew it was only a matter of time... Imported overseas workers for mining.

well with our "sell it off, dig it up and ship it out" mentality what else is to be expected

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 25-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: I knew it was only a matter of time... Imported overseas workers for mining.

I hear ya! I've been looking to get a job in the mines for months. Got tickets for gantry cranes, endloaders, forklifts, doggers and bobcat - just don't have the "ultra heavy" industrial tickets that meet their requirements - or so that's what I've found!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing new really...

Before the QLD election there were discussions being held about increasing the number of semi-skilled workers on visa's to be used thoughout QLD in the mining sector.....

Mining isnt the only industry which imports workers either.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 25-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

It shouldn't be a problem. Many of us here have no issue with outsourcing retail overseas (Internet shopping) because our local guys are just too expensive and ripping us off. Same people have no issues with outsourcing manufacturing overseas too so we can have cheap tellys and cars.

Why not fly in mines workers.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

/me shakes head at the insanity of this.
I certainly hope that those voters out there take notice of the decisions that the government that they have appointed to represent the interests of the "Australian voters" are making and vote accordingly.
Can see this thread having a very short life due to political nature unfortunately.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*double banger*
Old 25-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just the start of it me thinks...

RIO have this big 6000 people recruitment drive at the moment....

dang.. could only find 1500 suitable applicants.....

justification for imports right there..

or just me having a tinfoil hat moment..
Old 25-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
/me shakes head at the insanity of this.
I certainly hope that those voters out there take notice of the decisions that the government that they have appointed to represent the interests of the "Australian voters" are making and vote accordingly.
Can see this thread having a very short life due to political nature unfortunately.
Ah... wouldnt one be more annoyed at the worlds richest woman trying to save a dollar????

Its been proven several times that these imported workers get less money then aussie workers (typically a pittance).

The MINES pay people over $100,000 PA.... in order to attract people there.
Yet now it seems it would prefer to sack aussies and put them on the dole because they can get cheap overseas labour.

So who is at fault? US AUSSIES? for wanting a bucket load of money?
The so-called mining boom has had a massive bad effect on things, namely rent is unaffordable to the average person in mining towns, housing is unaffordable to the average person in mining towns and the drop in tradies in city areas who cant afford to compete with $100,000 wages the mines fork out.

Im guessing this is also the governments fault?

Old 25-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Well I'm a qualified fitter and turner with fork/WP/doggers/confine space. Been doing it for 7years and I just ticked over 24. I don't mind hard work/long days, I grab every bit of over time I can, and coming up I put my hand up to do nightshift again 7day weeks. I tried mid last year applying for the mines to test the water/ see if i can get a better job and I couldn't even get an interview. I'm pretty sure it's not my resume as I got my brothers girlfriend who has a literature double degree. All I get back from the 3 different companies is "Thank you for your interest blah blah we are looking from people with mining experiences" how the hell you get experience... if every job add says you need it.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem for me as stated in the article is the manufacturing industry in particular is circling the drain along with massive lay off's and im sure alot more to come.

Now why isnt the goverment investing in retraining/upskilling workers to help fill the skills shortages ??

As said this will be just the tip of the iceberg and will pave the way for other big miners such as BHP and RIO to follow the same path.

Honestly it just infuriates me beyond belief
Old 25-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

as long as australian people dont go on crippling rolling strikes like the teaches and nurses do . i think its fine , good luck to the imported workers . its crippling aussie awards and conditons of double pay for night shifts underground that bought this on , bout time we got some decend hard workers to help out our economy . those mine owners have been struggling big time of late .
Old 25-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Well I'm a qualified fitter and turner with fork/WP/doggers/confine space. Been doing it for 7years and I just ticked over 24. I don't mind hard work/long days, I grab every bit of over time I can, and coming up I put my hand up to do nightshift again 7day weeks. I tried mid last year applying for the mines to test the water/ see if i can get a better job and I couldn't even get an interview. I'm pretty sure it's not my resume as I got my brothers girlfriend who has a literature double degree. All I get back from the 3 different companies is "Thank you for your interest blah blah we are looking from people with mining experiences" how the hell you get experience... if every job add says you need it.
Look up Newmont.com. They are advertising for fitters and turners at one of their sites now. I work at one and they fly from all over.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
as long as australian people dont go on crippling rolling strikes like the teaches and nurses do . i think its fine , good luck to the imported workers . its crippling aussie awards and conditons of double pay for night shifts underground that bought this on , bout time we got some decend hard workers to help out our economy . those mine owners have been struggling big time of late .

Old 25-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160

Now why isnt the goverment investing in retraining/upskilling workers to help fill the skills shortages ??
Why isnt big business forking out money to do it??

Quote:
as long as australian people dont go on crippling rolling strikes like the teaches and nurses do .
Ah really?? yes fancy looking after sick and dieing people, never having time off, being overworked, understaffed, underpaid... may as well go work for the mines right???

I have known several nurses over the years and had dealings with doctors and nurses back in the 90s when i was doing aero-medical... and im sorry to say your comments are pretty ignorant.

Tell me something, a miner earning $100,000 or a nurse earning $60,000... which is more fair??? Id want to have a happy, well rested, well paid nurse/ doctor looking after me while ****ing blood all over their clean surgical ward, then one who has been on night duty 7 nights straight with minimal sleep looking after 20patients in a ward....

Old 25-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
well really night shift and over time should not apply underground , its always dark down there , and the hourly rate is pretty good why not stay on the same rate any day/night of the week , what i suppose you want transport to and from those mines too , overseaes staff are finding thier own way to and from the mines and helping out our country .
Old 25-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i tried to get a job in mines also "must have experience" where from damn it!! got a semi licence etc etc.

i currently work in an industry that uses 'skilled labour' from oversea's. whats sad is that NONE of them have any experience and are put on **** kicker jobs yet earn more then what a standard australian doing similar jobs get as they are getting the skilled labour wage to cover it up.. (im not talkin about 1 or 2 more like half of the 1300 strong work force)
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
Old 25-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Mate, mine sites are constantly having strikes.

And it's for things like not having a certain flavour of icecream.

An extreme, but true example.
Old 25-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker
i tried to get a job in mines also "must have experience" where from damn it!! got a semi licence etc etc.

i currently work in an industry that uses 'skilled labour' from oversea's. whats sad is that NONE of them have any experience and are put on **** kicker jobs yet earn more then what a standard australian doing similar jobs get as they are getting the skilled labour wage to cover it up.. (im not talkin about 1 or 2 more like half of the 1300 strong work force)
if you think about that for a minute though , they have the decency to come here and work , i praise them , they chose to work here instead of paying a boat owner to be smuggled in .
perhaps we should be throwing the people that arrive here into the mines , there is enough work there for them and we'll save a fortune , why cant this be done it would be a great idea and give the nations hope for a better way of life .
Old 25-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR

well i would too .
Old 25-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What Aussie workers have been sacked in order to employ these O/S workers?

Also, under the 457 visa, workers have to be paid market rates so no cheap labor for Gina.

I don't know about you blokes, but if I decided to work on a minesite, id' certainly want more $$'s to compensate being away from my family for extended periods etc Is that wrong??

Could it be that using O/S labour (who won't buy homes in mining towns and will likely live communally) will ease the rising cost of housing in mining towns?
Old 25-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well really night shift and over time should not apply underground , its always dark down there , and the hourly rate is pretty good why not stay on the same rate any day/night of the week , what i suppose you want transport to and from those mines too , overseaes staff are finding thier own way to and from the mines and helping out our country .
I dont get paid extra for nightshift but why should I get the same pay to endanger my life working underground as someone working in a workshop environment!! My hourly rate does not change the more hours I do (time and a half or double time rates). I get a larger pay because of the hours that are worked away from home and family. I do 164 hours a fortnight (thats 84 per week) then get 6 days off, its not all happy times in the mines.
Old 25-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
its bs trying to get a start without experience.. especially with no backdoor contacts..

persist with some of the contract mobs can pay off.. stay on them and be kean if it comes to making up numbers on a shutdown workers with experience soon goes out the window..

i got a start on a three day shutdown out of nowhere.. turned into ten years eating camp food...
Old 25-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you think about that for a minute though , they have the decency to come here and work , i praise them , they chose to work here instead of paying a boat owner to be smuggled in .
perhaps we should be throwing the people that arrive here into the mines , there is enough work there for them and we'll save a fortune , why cant this be done it would be a great idea and give the nations hope for a better way of life .
yes they come to work for more then what an aussie would get doing the same job WTF! then take a ** load of time off when they are here alot of our work force is here as spares as people take to many days off.
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
Old 25-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR

hahaha.. construction sooks...

camp in NT we lost our rum n raisin icecream...

scaffys were blowing numbers at pre start and blaming the icecream...
Old 25-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
Cheese3

Quote:
I was stating my current work ethics/job and indicating that im not affraid of long hours/different shifts. nothing about mines increasing their rates or whatever you blab on their. Im happy to do the hours if the pay is better thats all, relocating is no problem as im not tired down but i wouldnt move to a 100population town in the middle of no where. But they ask for experiance, my job isn't rocket sciences. hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders don't change and a gear box/rebuild doesn't. It's all the same basic steps it just might be more of it. What i find i learn the most now at work is the little tricks the old guys know that can save HUGE time

edit: overtime/nightshift isnt a guarantee which is the problem haha
Old 25-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter XR8
I dont get paid extra for nightshift but why should I get the same pay to endanger my life working underground as someone working in a workshop environment!! My hourly rate does not change the more hours I do (time and a half or double time rates). I get a larger pay because of the hours that are worked away from home and family. I do 164 hours a fortnight (thats 84 per week) then get 6 days off, its not all happy times in the mines.
mate that sounds good , im glad you work for a single rate of pay , i'm not sure about the 6 days off bit though , maybe a few less hours per week and a bit less time off might be in order to balance it out a bit .
no offence , nothing against you , but when other people can fly here and work cheaper and then send thier money back home to look after thier families , whats wrong with that , i'm sure they probably wont be getting more than 2 days off in a row , and over all working lesser hours bringing down the combined houry rate as overtime is probably incorperated into your hourly rate , based on the hours you work over the 2 weeks on , ( not the 3 weeks) . this is where australian employers are being whacked hard .
Old 25-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

big shifter.. big hammer.. can of crc is all you need in the mines..
Old 25-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I thought GovCo had made changes to 457 to protect skilled jobs here?
Here's a snippet from April 2009..
"Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, announced on April 1, that changes to the 457 program provided industry with needed skills, to make sure that the program does not undermine local training and employment opportunities. This is no doubt due to the current economic situation in parts of Australia."

Then, a complete about face (no doubt part of the mining tax "DEAL")

Snippet from North West Star May 16th..
"IMMIGRATION officers will be present at the 2012 Xstrata Mount Isa Mining Expo from May 16-18 to provide information on visa programs and upcoming significant reforms to the skilled migration program. The changes being introduced on 1 July 2012 include a new online service connecting Australian employers with potential skilled migrants and streamlining of the pathway to permanent residence for people already working in Australia on temporary skilled 457 visas.
From July 1, there will also be a fast-tracked pathway from the 457 visa to permanent residence under the employer-sponsored visa program, enabling skilled migrants to settle and work in regional and metropolitan Australia."

And the Australian people just keep copping this crap!!.... Honestly, Lost for words.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 25-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
Cheese3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
its bs trying to get a start without experience.. especially with no backdoor contacts..

persist with some of the contract mobs can pay off.. stay on them and be kean if it comes to making up numbers on a shutdown workers with experience soon goes out the window..

i got a start on a three day shutdown out of nowhere.. turned into ten years eating camp food...

Thanks, yeh that seems to be the trick contacts or a short shutdown shift. My old man was a boiler maker for 20 odd years on construction and now heaps of his mates that are riggers or crane operators work in the mines. I need to have a chat to them and maybe drop a slab off to them haha
Closed Thread