The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #511
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
The end of an era for Australia. This will also end GMH too.

While there won't be any local manufacturing from 2016 on, nothing can change the legacy that Ford leaves behind. I've only ever owned Australian Fords and I doubt that will change. I'll just keep mine running forever.
I think a lot of the forum membership will be doing the same thing (myself included).
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #512
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on second thoughts i wouldnt buy a SRT8, post 2016 i will buy a australian made holden as this will atleast keep them going and maybe if alot do it may increase jobs there.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #513
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Like everyone here I am totally shattered by the news. An icon has died today and we can't get it back. We have watched it die a slow death over the years and I do not think it would be fair to lay the blame on any one party because in reality all have been to blame. The government needed to protect the car industry and the businesses that support them. Not only through tariffs but also purchasing these vehicles. Ford needed to be smarter with how it marketed the vehicle and the variants offered. For how long have we seen marketing fail and hide a great product. Ford HQ knows we make a great RWD product but failed in their pride to expand the portfolio to ensure that we could develop the base for future RWD vehicles. This could have ensure future manufacturing here. The media once again proved that like Mitsubishi before them that they love a good story and continued to hammer Ford at any turn. The same WILL happen to Holden so don't kid yourself. And yes even to us, we just didn't buy enough vehicles.Whether it be personal or fleet the sales were not there. For me I won't buy the current Falcon or Territory because they are not what I want in a car. The new Territory was not enough of a change from the old model. New front sheet metal and a few trims inside but not enough to make me feel like a new model. For the Falcon I want an XR8. Yes they do not make them but that is the vehicle for me and not the GS. The FG was not the step I wanted after the BF so I stayed with that.

But do I feel bitter, or are Ford dead to me. Well......no. That would be stupid. The brand and our loyalty must continue. They have made a BUSINESS decision. It's a decision that we don't have to like but they had to make a hard call. So give them credit and respect to shut it down before it became too bad. So here's the thing Ford. You finish with a brilliant car as your last hurrah and I'll make some promises right here and now. Yes I will buy a new Falcon in 2016. Yes I will start saving today. Yes it will be a V8. Yes it will take pride of place in my driveway. Yes I am today and for ever will be a blue oval man. I love my Fords and my Falcons. It's as simple as that.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
6 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #514
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd112 View Post
on second thoughts i wouldnt buy a SRT8, post 2016 i will buy a australian made holden as this will atleast keep them going and maybe if alot do it may increase jobs there.
My train of thought at the moment...
Old 23-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #515
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
No, you steady on. You have no idea how long I have been around here, don't let the join date fool you.
I am steady, so just how long have you been around, are you saying the stats are wrong, or have you come back under a different user name.

Please explain your comment, and no offence meant, I just dont get what you are saying.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 23-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #516
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
Pull out the old tooling and build some xa-xc coupes and sedans.
They were melted down years and years ago. Probably early 90's.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #517
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I think a lot of the forum membership will be doing the same thing (myself included).
BUT Holden have confirmed the 2017 VJ Commodore series!
Or are they reconsidering?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #518
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I am yet to see any confirmation about this.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #519
BlueOvalPrint

Well, at least the good old i6 gets to stick around and end with the last Falcon. What a great powerplant it's been, a design that can hold up for nearly 1 million K's in a NA LPG taxi while the turbo version still blows most mainstream V8s into the weeds. Love it!!!
8 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #520
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely shocked this morning with the decision. Everyone says they saw it coming, but maybe I was in denial. First and foremost, we love working for Ford, we love making Falcons and Territories. 100% I guarantee you quality will not drop. As a stamping plant operator, I get a kick out of making the "bulge" hood outers, knowing it will score a miami under it. I am not sad about Ford closing, I am sad that I will no longer get to work for the company. You could not ask for a better employer. I have so much passion for Ford in Australia it feels like a family member has passed away.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #521
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Very sad day indeed..!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #522
BroadyFord

Another thing - Ford have said they are keeping their product development/engineering team.

So is there really any reason why they need to stay in Broadmeadows? I'm guessing they wouldn't need a heap of land (or the plant buildings) and most workers there are professional, artsy-fartsy-type people who probably don't live in the area.

So maybe Ford will join the other 2 carmakers in Port Melbourne?!
Old 23-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #523
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I heard it was going to be a mid-large size sedan based off the cruise.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #524
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

this is early days, no one knows what they have planned.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #525
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
Another thing - Ford have said they are keeping their product development/engineering team.

So is there really any reason why they need to stay in Broadmeadows? I'm guessing they wouldn't need a heap of land (or the plant buildings) and most workers there are professional, artsy-fartsy-type people who probably don't live in the area.

So maybe Ford will join the other 2 carmakers in Port Melbourne?!
Not with Govco having earmarked the whole Fishermans Bend site as residential...
Old 23-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #526
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
Absolutely shocked this morning with the decision. Everyone says they saw it coming, but maybe I was in denial. First and foremost, we love working for Ford, we love making Falcons and Territories. 100% I guarantee you quality will not drop. As a stamping plant operator, I get a kick out of making the "bulge" hood outers, knowing it will score a miami under it. I am not sad about Ford closing, I am sad that I will no longer get to work for the company. You could not ask for a better employer. I have so much passion for Ford in Australia it feels like a family member has passed away.
Good luck mate.

I spent a lot of time in stamping plants growing up. Love it.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #527
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
I have so much respect for people like you. Knowing that after 3 years you're going to be out of a job but you will go in on Monday morning with a smile on your face and your lunch in your bag to do a smashing job on our beloved car.
Old 23-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #528
chris01
Henry Ford Fan Club

And yet Toyota have confirmed that they will continue in Australia and have increased their workforce this year - this is the real kick in the guts, Toyota can do it but Ford can't...Henry Ford must be rolling over in his grave...
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #529
KurtisEBear