Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #9661
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Already there is a 'freedom airline' in the works and they are looking for Aussie investors.

https://www.freedomairway.com/

Jane Halton...

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....rs/halton.html
An airline that doesn't own any planes
Old 03-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #9662
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 2nd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

11 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.136%.

4 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.092% and active cases 69.

The UK had a higher 6,391 cases yesterday and 343 deaths, the 8th consecutive day under 10k cases.

Just under 53k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,441 deaths sees CMR up to 1.799%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 115M, the last 1M in 3 days;
Global deaths pass 2.55M, the last 50k in 6 days;

Only -
Togo (153);
Malta (336); and
Kuwait (1,341) after I missed the high of 1,179 yesterday

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Serbia moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #9663
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Interesting concept, but where will the airline land if jurisdictions require you to show your passport before entering.
Agree, I have thought about some of these things... airports would have to play ball, which Id think would be problematic because it seems the airports themselves will be pushing for vaccination to travel.

Companies wanting to not go along with this would then need their own airports/runways on top of their own planes. As it is now, well before covid anyway, you can enter Australia outside of the official airports, for example people arriving by yacht/ship, but they have to report to customs upon arrival is my understanding.

So it isnt illegal to arrive using methods outside of international airports, so long as govt knows and you do as they request.

Its going to get interesting because govt here is adamant 'its not compulsory', but its quite clear the private sector will be implementing it, including the airlines and airports from the looks of things... which does take the heat off govt.

But since govt says 'not compulsory' , if something is set up outside of the private co's wanting it to be mandatory, Im guessing the govt will have to make new laws to stop it. Its a big ask though for a company to set up from scratch and go against the grain so to speak, so it might not ever come to that. I can imagine anyone wanting to do such a thing, such as freedom airways, is going to have a lot of pressure put on them in many ways if they got to a point where they could land planes here.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #9664
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Its called conditioning. Its coming whether we like it or not, decision has already been made by our masters. UK and EU has already floated the idea and will be "debating" it in parliament, but its obvious what the outcome will be.
Most countries are aware that even if they manage to contain community transmission, there is a very real risk posed by those entering the country from outside and as such we almost certainly will (as I said before) end up with at least a system where proof of vaccination currency is required to obtain a visa to some countries but that may also extend to some countries being placed on blacklists if it's deemed that they either don't have sufficient control over their own outbreaks and/or they don't provide proof of vaccination.

As to what will determine whether a country has their situation under control, that's a whole debate to be had at some point.

Do we use something like my 10-day rolling average of new cases per 100k of population as a guide and if so, what is the acceptable level.
I suggested the other day that we have long accepted Influenza with 0.5M deaths a year (~60/100k of global population) and an infection rate of around 9-10,000/100k.

Clearly, as I said earlier, COVID19 is considerably more deadly in terms of mortality rate and that even if we worked on an average 2% CMR, then we'd need to get down to 25M cases globally per annum (less than a quarter of what we had this year) to lose the same 0.5M people annually. That equates to something like 311 cases per 100k globally for a whole year so for a 10-day rolling average case numbers would need to be below 1.0 per 100k population so a lot of the world still has a long way to go.

Let's be unkind and say we are callous enough to accept twice the annual deaths from COVID19 (it's mostly old people anyway) so that 1M deaths is acceptable which would be roughly 50M cases per annum that would be 622 cases per 100k per annum or slightly less than 2 cases per 100k on a 10-day rolling average.

Of the 91 countries I watch closely, 75 of them are above that target figure based on their latest 10 day rolling average including the UK (15.7), USA (22.2) and nearly all of both Europe and South America.

All of which says that vaccines are going to need to be very effective and the next 3-6 months should start to give us a clue as to whether those numbers are actually achievable.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #9665
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Agree, I have thought about some of these things... airports would have to play ball, which Id think would be problematic because it seems the airports themselves will be pushing for vaccination to travel.
Won't be the airport's calls for international flights either. The Feds, who run the Australian Border Force, will determine the policy. So whilst they won't "force" people to vaccinate against CV19, they can certainly say "no proof of vaccination, no entry".

Note quite a few countries have mandatory yellow fever vaccination when entering their borders.

I remember when I first arrived into the UK on a working holiday visa, they were making people get tuberculosis tests. Not sure what would have happened if you failed. For some reason they waived me through, maybe because they saw I was entering from a low risk country.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #9666
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

To expand on my earlier comment and look at Australia as a case in point.

Although our CMR is more than 50% above my theoretical 2% one earlier, to meet the 25M/0.5M or 50M/1M case/mortality targets, these are the numbers:

Our population is 0.328% of the global population which would equal either 81k or 160k cases respectively if we were at the 2% CMR level and 1,639 or 3,278 deaths.

At our current 10 day average rate we would rack up 1,716 cases and 54 deaths at our CMR. Indeed, in the last almost 12 months (despite all the drama) we have only racked up 29k cases and 909 deaths and the majority of those came from one State.

Conversely, the USA has 4.25% of the global population which extrapolates to 1M cases and 21,271 deaths (based on 0.5M global deaths) or twice those numbers if 'acceptable' mortalities are 1M.

Based on their current 10D average and despite their sub 2% CMR, they would have 26M cases and 481k deaths over the next 12 months and their last 12M has been even worse with 30M cases and more than 0.5M deaths of their own.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #9667
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Won't be the airport's calls for international flights either. The Feds, who run the Australian Border Force, will determine the policy. So whilst they won't "force" people to vaccinate against CV19, they can certainly say "no proof of vaccination, no entry".
I suppose that is how it will be, yes. Govt saying not mandatory but they will make it mandatory to do certain things... you will be restricted in what you can and cant do without it, we are seeing this domestically being pushed in NSW also now as mentioned in the thread already, I watched berejiklian talking about it today.

Although at the moment anyone federal govt seems to be avoiding vaccines for travel in the media as much as they can? and palming it off to airport and airline heads to promote it, which was the basis of my comments. I feel the feds are doing what they can to deflect attention from themselves and put it onto private corporations in regards to the vaccines mandatory for travel topic.

It wouldnt suprise me if they push for us to get it to be able to use airports (ie leave for abroad), but dont make it mandatory for incoming. Time will tell I guess.

Not all countries will make it mandatory, perhaps because they dont want to miss out on any tourist $$$, which are very important for some countries eg...

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-24/...-minister-says
Old 03-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #9668
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
An airline that doesn't own any planes

Ten years ago people scoffed at a taxi company that didn’t own any cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #9669
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Ten years ago people scoffed at a taxi company that didn’t own any cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, but Taxi's don't require permission to park when loading and unloading

Sent from my PC using electricity.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:34 PM   #9670
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s how I’m sure Uber would operate a helicopter charter service.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #9671
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You get the feeling as the vaccine rolls out in the coming months, the covid monster will reduce significantly, and deaths on paper will be attributed to what actually kills them. This will all legitimize the forced vaccinations.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #9672
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So, now we are apparently at risk of the “Russian variant” coronavirus. I presume it’s highly resistant to being killed by alcohol.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #9673
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 3rd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

10 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.135%.

2 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.092% and active cases 62.

The UK had a slightly lower 6,385 cases yesterday and 487 deaths, the 9th consecutive day under 10k cases.

Just under 75k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,094 deaths sees CMR up to 1.801%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Asia passes 400k deaths;

Only -
Kuwait (1,409); and
Iraq (5,341) - the previous high on 23/9/20;

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Poland moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #9674
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So, now we are apparently at risk of the “Russian variant” coronavirus. I presume it’s highly resistant to being killed by alcohol.
If alcohol won't kill it, you could try a bit of Novichok. Highly recommended by Putin, apparently.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #9675
protectyourride
Protect Your Ride

Covid 19 has effected the market so much in Queensland Australia , Im not sure if anyone else id trying to build there first home but if you are i can only imagine how hard you are finding it to find land . Most people are selling houses for more then asking price its ridiculous .
Used car prices have also gone through the roof & Holden's lets not go there coz those prices are a joke . I know covid 19 has effected us all but seriously if we keep buying and selling so crazy our country will be crap.

Last edited by GasoLane; 04-03-2021 at 10:17 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2021, 12:44 AM   #9676
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe my bro can get out of the market then. Bought in QLD because his wife said so even though he was on min wage. Almost got financially ruined when it burnt down and FA he could do in WA, they relied on the rent to pay that 2nd mortgage and rents were low a couple of years ago.

20 years ago on min wage you could buy a house for 160k easily - imagine that! Now those that bought cheap back then (or even cheaper pre 1995ish) are buying everything else up with the banks money and there's not much left over for businesses to get from peoples spare income because all money is in housing (either mortgages or rent)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:48 AM   #9677
protectyourride
Protect Your Ride

its only going to go up from here so better off getting in the market now . But your right even rentals are hard to come buy so building is also hard on some .
Im happy that covid does seem to have less effect on the average Australian family right now and we starting to see the future

Last edited by GasoLane; 05-03-2021 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Please do not try sneaky advertising or you may have to find somewhere else to play.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #9678
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 4th, 2021.

11 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.134%.

7 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.088% and active cases 68.

The UK had a slightly higher 6,573 cases yesterday and 242 deaths, the 10th consecutive day under 10k cases.

Just over 68k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,745 deaths sees CMR up to 1.805%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 116M, the last 1M in 2 days;

Malta (362);
Ivory Coast (691);
Paraguay (1,439);
Kuwait (1,716); and
Moldova (1,800) - the previous high on 9/12/20;

Italy and Libya move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 05-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #9679
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

I heard on the radio this morning that over 70% of the Covid-19 vaccines administered so far has been in NSW. And, NSW is the only State to vaccine the quarantine workers families as well as the workers. No other State/Territory has enough vaccines available to be able to vaccine the quarantine workers families. Also, NSW is using the Pfizer vaccine, the one that is more effective. Others are using the less effective AstraZeneca vaccine.

If true, then we now know why Greg Hunt attached a Liberal logo, instead of the Australian government logo, to his Twitter announcement on Feb 4 that Australia had secured 10M doses of the Pfizer vaccine. Unbelievable really. This government is just getting worse by the day.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #9680
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that over 70% of the Covid-19 vaccines administered so far has been in NSW. And, NSW is the only State to vaccine the quarantine workers families as well as the workers. No other State/Territory has enough vaccines available to be able to vaccine the quarantine workers families. Also, NSW is using the Pfizer vaccine, the one that is more effective. Others are using the less effective AstraZeneca vaccine.

If true, then we now know why Greg Hunt attached a Liberal logo, instead of the Australian government logo, to his Twitter announcement on Feb 4 that Australia had secured 10M doses of the Pfizer vaccine. Unbelievable really. This government is just getting worse by the day.
Depends who you ask really...
Old 05-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #9681
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

I seriously don't know what your problem is with NSW, perhaps someone from there bullied you as a kid.

Despite that statement being a month old Greg Hunt said that Aus had secured, not recieved the vaccines.

And your radio announcer needs to get some proper facts before he sprouts to his true believers to help him get his ratings up.

"Victoria will get a total of 59,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine over the first four weeks, the state government said."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...rkers/13171246

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-.../13197518?nw=0

Old 05-03-2021, 11:00 PM   #9682
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget about allocation and "what is to come", because its just words. Look at what has been administered. Its not a surprise.

However, "experts" have suggested that the slow and steady method is the way to go initially. Its not a competition, but it is obvious where all the resources are put into focus. ADF is now stepping in to assist, with primary focus in you know where. There were questions raised what ADF resources would be given to other states....they are still working on it.

At the end of the day, we are all not going anywhere until EVERYONE (or close to) gets the jab. So getting the jab today instead of next month really makes no difference to me.

The only advantage is that one state may be able to open up more freely quicker than another, giving their economy a boost and bragging rights.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 PM   #9683
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My folks are in the next band to get the jab. Their GP is qualified to administer the jab, and they have been told they will get it before end of March. They have been advised that they will get the astrazeneca shot, but I'm not sure if/how the export ban will affect the timelines.

My dad is quite nervous about getting the astra or the pfizer. He wants the tried and proven "inactivated" technology, which is what the flu jab is based on. But he won't have a choice. Old fuddy duddy even considered taking a flight to a country that will be administering the "inactivated" technology
Old 06-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #9684
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ADF is being trained to administer the vaccine to support aged care and rural workers for obvious reasons. Federal responsibility and logistics. It has been reported that NSW were not aware of this plan before it was announced.

You can't complain about dose allocation and distribution when certains states are way behind on administering the ones they have. The 75% is the amount of administered doses in NSW. Slow and steady
Old 06-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #9685
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 5th, 2021.

14 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.132%.

No new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.088% and active cases 68.

The UK had a slightly lower 5,996 cases yesterday and 236 deaths, the 11th consecutive day under 10k cases.

Just under 70k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,130 deaths sees CMR up to 1.808%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Italy passes 3M cases;
Switzerland passes 10k deaths;

Only
Paraguay (1,501)

Ivory Coast moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Indonesia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #9686
mostly_broncos

Quote:
My folks are in the next band to get the jab. Their GP is qualified to administer the jab, and they have been told they will get it before end of March. They have been advised that they will get the astrazeneca shot, but I'm not sure if/how the export ban will affect the timelines.

My dad is quite nervous about getting the astra or the pfizer. He wants the tried and proven "inactivated" technology, which is what the flu jab is based on. But he won't have a choice. Old fuddy duddy even considered taking a flight to a country that will be administering the "inactivated" technology
My 79 year old mother had the pfizer first shot on feb 16th , sore arm starting 1 day after , worse on day 2 gone by day 4. No other reaction , she has a few issues , high blood pressure , low vitamin D .

Second shot will be march 16 theoretically she has talked to a friend who at age 85 has had both doses of pfizer with no issues .
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #9687
mostly_broncos

Now for something completely different

any coin collectors here ? Where are the silver 2021 koalas ? I buy 1 oz. kooks and koalas for the nieces and nephews every year , which has been a great investment as they will sell for well over silver value into the future .

I have my kooks but no one has koalas
Old 07-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #9688
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have you checked Aliexpress?
Old 07-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #9689
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
Now for something completely different

any coin collectors here ? Where are the silver 2021 koalas ? I buy 1 oz. kooks and koalas for the nieces and nephews every year , which has been a great investment as they will sell for well over silver value into the future .

I have my kooks but no one has koalas
Since our Bushfires drop bears are hard to find.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #9690
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Brazil is once again in trouble with the virus it seems. Record number of daily deaths and infections, second only to the USA. The presidents response? He told his people to "Stop whining".
Quote:
Brazil’s far-right President Jair Bolsonaro has spent the entire pandemic downplaying its seriousness, with dire consequences. Now, with the second-highest death toll in the world and fresh surges in both cases and deaths, he’s told Brazilians to hurry up and get over it. “Stop whining,” the president said at an event. “How long are you going to keep crying about it? How much longer will you stay at home and close everything? No one can stand it anymore. We regret the deaths, again, but we need a solution.” His comments came a day after Brazil saw a record rise in deaths over a 24-hour period, with 1,910 people losing their lives. A further 75,102 cases of coronavirus were reported the same day. According to BBC News, the explosion in cases has been blamed on the spread of a variant of the coronavirus thought to have originated in the city of Manaus.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/bolson...a=twitter_page

*The dismal handling of the virus by the Brazilian government has been atrocious. From the very beginning of the pandemic the President has been sprouting a load of bull****.

His latest (translated), said during his weekly address on Facebook: "Guys, studies are beginning to appear here, I will not go into details, about the use of masks, that, at first here, a German university says that they are harmful to children and take into account several items here such as irritability, headache, difficulty concentrating, decreased perception of happiness, refusal to go to school or daycare, discouragement, impairment of learning capacity , vertigo, fatigue... Then the side effects of the masks start coming up here, okay?"

https://congressoemfoco.uol.com.br/g...o-de-mascaras/

There seems to be a pattern around the world. Governments that lean to the right have totally failed their people with the handling of this pandemic. US, UK, Brazil, Sweden, etc, etc, have all failed their people. All with highest number of deaths and infections. Thank god our State leaders had powers over the Fed's with border controls, etc. Hate to think how Australia would've faired if it was all under the control of Scotty from marketing. We could have been in a similar position to USA and UK if it was left up to "our PM". Dodged a bullet there for sure.

(*Full disclosure: I was bullied by someone from Brazil, and that's why I keep "bashing" on Brazil).

Last edited by Tickford.; 07-03-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Closed Thread