Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Philthy82
Starter Motor

Question Fiesta Econetic ws cabin engine noise

Just bought a Fiesta ws econetic and everything is sweet, but I notice kind of a knock sound from the motor in the interior when it's idling.
Is this normal for the diesel fiestas? (I know diesels produce more engine noise) but this seems different. When I first heard it, I just put it down to a cold motor as they can be slightly noisier when cold.

Please let me know if your 1.6 Duratorq has this same noise
Philthy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Lazarus

Default Re: Fiesta Econetic ws cabin engine noise

Mines a bit noisier when cold but then quiets down. It whine at low rpm rather than any knocking noises. If it's a twin cam version I have heard of injectors leaking compression which may be the noise you are hearing. There's clips on you tube.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Philthy82
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Mines a bit noisier when cold but then quiets down. It whine at low rpm rather than any knocking noises. If it's a twin cam version I have heard of injectors leaking compression which may be the noise you are hearing. There's clips on you tube.
Interestingly enough, I can't hear this noise from anywhere but in the interior of the car! I had my head under the bonnet, under the car and it was fine.
I'll still check it out, cheers
Old 20-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Lazarus

What's your average fuel consumption showing... I'm on 5.7l to 100km City driving only?
Old 20-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
Philthy82
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
What's your average fuel consumption showing... I'm on 5.7l to 100km City driving only?
I've only driven it a bit over 400kms, but I averaged 4.1 per hundred. Did go 80 a lot, due to heaps of roadworks and some slow army convoys! Found its most economical doing 80 to 100km
Old 20-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Lazarus

Definitely light load driving you get around 4... I'd be interested what you get around the city.. Although mines got a spare and sports gear in the boot. It also quite often carries 2 big people and three little ones. I hope everything works out with yours. I've had mine for about two months and already put 3000kms on it. I really enjoy driving it.
Old 20-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
Philthy82
Starter Motor

I will mainly do open road ks, but I will put up my average in the next few weeks. This last trip I had some luggage and a spare tyre which I have taken out (I'll get my wife to bring me the spare if I ever need it). As a comparison, I got my old vy ss commodore 6 speed manual down town average10.6 per hundred from sitting on 100kph. Be good to see what this little beast can manage....