Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default LV Focus tow bar

Hey guys, just wondering about if I can get a towbar on my LV Focus?

I want to tow our 6x4 to the tip when required.

Do I have to get one from Ford or are there other companies and brands who make them?

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: LV Focus tow bar

Just did a quick Google search and came up with this -

http://www.shop1auto.com.au/New%20to...ord_Focus.html
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I had that site saved Russ for the same reason....

I was going to say the same thing, there are several mobs who fit them, but their prices are between $450-$500.

On ebay, you can get the hardware for around $120, but then shipping and wiring etc will push the price up. The US sellers don't ship to OZ either.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I had that site saved Russ for the same reason....

I was going to say the same thing, there are several mobs who fit them, but their prices are between $450-$500.

On ebay, you can get the hardware for around $120, but then shipping and wiring etc will push the price up. The US sellers don't ship to OZ either.
The price seems pretty reasonable considering it includes fitting as well.

The only problem with buying all the hardware etc... and having it shipped, is that by the time you have it fitted it would probably end up costing much the same anyway, unless of course you are confident about installing it yourself.

Last edited by Russ; 17-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 17-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yeah, you are right Russ. Drive in, get it fitted correctly and drive out.

Looking at getting a tinny when it gets warmer so will be getting one fitted shortly as well.

Will need to be one that is removable as I only have 10cm space either end in the garage lol.
Old 17-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, you are right Russ. Drive in, get it fitted correctly and drive out.

Looking at getting a tinny when it gets warmer so will be getting one fitted shortly as well.

Will need to be one that is removable as I only have 10cm space either end in the garage lol.
I have a similar issue in my garage, we have 3 cars fitting end to end with only about 50 - 100mm gap between each of them, I fitted some wooden blocks onto the concrete to use as stoppers. This worked well when we had 3 VW Golfs but since selling mine and buying the Focus I've buggered up the whole wheelbase parking space principle. I had to move one set of wooden blocks and now they have to be parked in a certain order. No big deal really
Old 17-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Same situation. This is my trick.

Get a bit of foam or empty cardboard box that is a rectagle (like what you would get a picture frame in - thats what I used), measuring at least 40cm across, 70-80cm tall and 3-5cm thick.

Stand that up, leaning against the front car / wall so that one corner is touching, and the other is off the wall 3-5cm (like looking at a slightly opened door from above).

Drive in, and as soon as you nudge it with the front of your car and see it move you know you are as close as you should get....
Old 17-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an old rug in my garage. It's positioned in such a way that as soon as I feel the front wheels come off it, then it's time to stop moving forward.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thanks for the replies guys, at the moment the only car which has a towbar for us is Dad's 323, if he is out, trailer doesn't go anywhere.

Also are there any general rules I should follow when towing a trailer, I remember reading somewhere to stay out of overdrive?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thanks for the replies guys, at the moment the only car which has a towbar for us is Dad's 323, if he is out, trailer doesn't go anywhere.

Also are there any general rules I should follow when towing a trailer, I remember reading somewhere to stay out of overdrive?
As long as you don't exceed the load towing capacity for the car you shouldn't have too much to worry about. For example if the towing load capacity for your car is 800kg then I would suggest you avoid towing a trailer with 1.5 tonne of bricks in it, particularly if you do it on a regular basis and I'd be even more careful if you have a lot of uphill sections when loaded up. Pretty much common sense really, have a read through your manual and stay within the recommended specs for towing, especially if you have an auto box.
Old 17-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same situation. This is my trick.

Get a bit of foam or empty cardboard box that is a rectagle (like what you would get a picture frame in - thats what I used), measuring at least 40cm across, 70-80cm tall and 3-5cm thick.

Stand that up, leaning against the front car / wall so that one corner is touching, and the other is off the wall 3-5cm (like looking at a slightly opened door from above).

Drive in, and as soon as you nudge it with the front of your car and see it move you know you are as close as you should get....
I was going to do that originally but figured it was better to have a fixed block on the floor that way it's always in place.
Old 17-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can fit the towbar yourself if your a bit handy.

Its fairly simple. All you do is remove the rear bar, then you will see a slam pannel that is bolted to the chassis rail. remove this and the towbar slides into the chassis rails & replaces this part.

There are holes already in the chassis rails that allow you to bolt it straight on.

Then just replace the rear bar & then do the wiring. I think with the LV it just plugs into the loom which you access by removing the trim inside the boot.

Just be sure you get the LV towbar as there are differences between the LS & LV
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post