Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
zetecboy

Default Keep it or let it go?

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, anyway, I have a problem.

My '05 LS Focus is out of warranty this week and am really not sure if I should keep it or let it go. I've had some extensive problems with it all of which have been corrected under warranty but since the warranty expires, the next thing to go will have to be paid for.

Just a quick run down on whats happened with it:
  • Broken engine mount
  • Drive shaft going "out of round" which resulted in massive vibrations - in the workshop twice because they didn't order the whole assembly rather only one part of it, causing the car to be off the road for a few days
  • Front shock
  • Suspension/Steering strut bearings
  • Alternator (now this was a biggie - my wife actaully picked up that the car was making a strange noise, for her to notice it must have been bad, anyway the Friday before the long weekend I took it to Ford, they had a mechanic look at it and say bring it next week and they'll have a look - the car didn't last 12 hours when everything failed, electrics, power steering everything, which isn't good when you are at highway speed with 2 young kids in the back.
  • And now.... automatic gearbox. Ford have told me it's engine flair between gears, it revs up an extra thousand revs, then changes. They had it for a day last week trying everything to no avail and now it is in for 4 days to have the box pulled out, rebuilt and put back in.

Do I keep it and perservere thinking that most of the major items have already been replaced or do I get rid of now before something elso goes which I'll be up for?

All advice welcome.

zetecboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, sounds like a lot of issues for a Focus. You don't hear of many things going wrong with them. I am sorry to hear it. I think it's up to you on if you sell it or not. I know if it was me, having so many issue I would want to move on and buy something else.
Old 28-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
zetecboy

The other thing I should mention is that it is always serviced on time by Ford and is a car that is looked after (I know every one says that but I'm not a person who flogs cars - it would have to have a bucket load more power for me to consider flogging it and definitley not an auto!!).
Old 28-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Rhubarb

what's an extended warranty worth ?
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Mullett
Badly Focused

Sell it. Or even better, trade it on a new one, and lean on the dealer HARD because of how much trouble you've had with it...

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
zetecboy

If I sell it won't be for another one. I think I've been burnt by the experience - it's not just the car but the mechanics in the service department of my local Ford.