Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Default Help with leaking radiator

Hi fellas,

I got a leak in my radiator which normally wouldn't be a problem for me but this one is on a pipe I'm not familiar with. I took some pics of it (see below) so you could see, but its leaking at the join of a metal pipe the runs along the block to the back. Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it as in how easily I could fix it myself, what I'd need to do roughly etc. etc. was hoping to do it tomorrow while I swap my front brakes (330mm YAY!!!!!)
Really need a strong radiator for powercruise coming up next month

Thanks

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

dishpig, from memory that pipe shown is sealed against the water pump with an O-ring, or some silicon.

Should be an easy fix for ya with basic mechanical knowledge
Old 30-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Jimmyd
Banned

O ring seal - from memory you can ***just*** get enough clearance by dropping the pipe mounts off the back if the block, but might be worth coming from the front and doing some cheap engine insurance by replacing the waterpump at the same time.

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Thanks I was thinking it could just be an O-ring good to know thats all, how much is a waterpump worth? just get one from repco do I?

Old 30-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Basically any auto parts store will stock them. I'd say it could be approx $80-$150 depending on the brand you purchase.
Old 30-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Jimmyd
Banned

Anywhere from $35 upwards depending on brand/quality. Should be able to pick up off the shelf just about anywhere - Repco, Supacheap, Bursons, etc just make sure the o ring has not been poached out of the box before you leave the store....

Cheers

James
Old 30-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
Anywhere from $35 upwards depending on brand/quality. Should be able to pick up off the shelf just about anywhere - Repco, Supacheap, Bursons, etc just make sure the o ring has not been poached out of the box before you leave the store....

Cheers

James
Also make sure it has the pulley already fitted - can be bought with & without pulley.
Old 30-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
Basically any auto parts store will stock them. I'd say it could be approx $80-$150 depending on the brand you purchase.
Damn you're quick, keep pipping me at the post....

Cheers

James
Old 30-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
dishpig
Only an xr6...

ok thanks guys now I got one more thing to do on my ute tomorrow. I really should take it to a mechanic one day lol, hasn't really had a major service just replaced stuff when I feel like it. Which reminds me is 140ks too much for a timing belt and fan belt ect cause that ain't been done yet. I j8ust remember there being some things that need doing at 100ks and figure while I got the cash and time I should do em now.

Old 30-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Addz08
"FEED IT"

No need to do a water pump, there's a 14mm ( I think, it's been a while) under the extractors , remove that, and stick a bar down between the exhaust runner and lever on the bracket that the bolt came out of, be gentle so you don,t bend it, and that steel pipe will pop out, then just replace the "o" ring, clean the hole in the pump out, put a bit of ultra blue sealer on it, and lever it back in the hole, and re-fit the bolt under the exhaust...
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishpig
ok thanks guys now I got one more thing to do on my ute tomorrow. I really should take it to a mechanic one day lol, hasn't really had a major service just replaced stuff when I feel like it. Which reminds me is 140ks too much for a timing belt and fan belt ect cause that ain't been done yet. I j8ust remember there being some things that need doing at 100ks and figure while I got the cash and time I should do em now.
AU does not have a timing belt, uses a timing chain.

Serpentine drive belt for a/c, p/s, etc is not a scheduled item and is usually replaced on inspection - ie frayed edges, cracks, etc.
Should be flushing brake fluid and coolant every two years, if auto and pushed hard you should replace fluid (ideally fit external cooler as well, cheap insurance) every 20-40k; I also do diff oil at 40k to keep the LSD happy.
Spark plugs will be due if you have not already replaced them.
Fuel filter needs to be done evey 20-40k depending on the quality of fuel you are getting.
Apart from that it really is inspection based ie fix whats broken/worn/cracked/etc.

Cheers

James