Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
Rob
Living the dream

Default Buying an E Series

Gday,

I'll shortly be in the market for an E series. Was looking at ED montys/Ghias, would prefer an ED, but I'd probably go to an EB II if I find a nice one. What I wanted to know was, what should I look for in an EB/ED? Are there any glaring faults with them?

Most of the ED's im looking at have around 150 - 170 thousand km on them, which for their age seems pretty good, but with some cars now at around 220/250,000km, is there any real issues with age? My VN daily has 300,000km on it, and drives like a car half its age (which is still ****, because its a VN : ), obviously wear and tear items will need replacing, but as I said, glaring faults are what I want to be aware of. I have very little experience with early Falcons, so I just wanted some advice so I dont get caught out.

Cheers!

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I take it you're looking at getting a 6 mate?

Check for signs of possible head gasket failure, eg. Milky oil, coolant stains on the block etc. Make sure that the auto shifts smoothly.

Other than that, just do the usual checks that you would when buying a used car. The EBII and EDs are pretty tough old things and with proper maintenance they'll provide many years of reliable service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

also look out on the rear quarter panels, particuarly the passenger side, just around the wheel arch, for rust. seems to be a common thing popping up.

Have a look at the jacking points under the car, sometimes if a hydraulic jack has been used, the jack point will crumple and rust soon sets in.

check the fuse box for any wrong fuses, if a higher amp fuse is in there, it could be hiding a problem.

cheers
scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

On Montys and Ghias, check to make sure all the electrics work properly. Make sure power windows move up and down smoothly and fairly quietly, climate control works (both heater and aircon), and that cruise control also works. Another place to check for rust is around the top edges of the windscreens.

Overall they are a good car. My car has never broken down on me in the 4.5 years I've owned it. It has had problems, but it has remained drivable every time, even when the head gasket went. My parent's have also owned a 1993 EBII wagon since new, and despite a snapped fan belt and a new clutch, it has been great to them.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated. To be honest, I'm sick of owning cars I stress about, cant park the GTS at highpoint etc for fear of it being nicked etc. The way I see it, 4 grand buys a clean ED Ghia which will provide a good 5 years or so of reliable, comfortable motoring, with a bit of performance to boot. $4000 is peanuts for the usage value of a car like that.

I just want a car that I can drive, enjoy and not worry about, but will also be reliable. I'll make a point of checking the jackstands/windscreen/1/4 panels when I check em out.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

You can buy my ED Fairmont for $8k.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
LOL

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Christiaan

I didn't think I was saying anything funny Luke?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Wasnt looking to spend that much at the moment mate, but thanks anyway! Might consider it later on if the GTS goes sometime soon.

Very nice, by the way.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Pfffft, as if Yagz! You can buy my turbo ED for $15k if thats the way we're heading... ;)

Quote:
My VN daily has 300,000km on it, and drives like a car half its age
Are you looking for a daily/runabout, or somethign you want to modify a bit? If you want a runabout to leave at the cinema's/shopping centres etc, and if your VN is reliable, stick with it. Better the devil you know etc etc. I have an ED which has had little more than a buggered coil in it's 280,000km life. BUT, in total my mates have 5 e-series, and they've had nothing but major trouble (headgasket etc etc) about every 3 months on average for each car...
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Are you looking for a daily/runabout, or somethign you want to modify a bit? If you want a runabout to leave at the cinema's/shopping centres etc, and if your VN is reliable, stick with it. Better the devil you know etc etc. I have an ED which has had little more than a buggered coil in it's 280,000km life. BUT, in total my mates have 5 e-series, and they've had nothing but major trouble (headgasket etc etc) about every 3 months on average for each car...
Basically, I was thinking, ED monty with a few mods (pacemakers, zorst, intake, LSD conversion etc) to drive to work, and have a blast on the weekends.

The thing with the VN is that its a VN basically. Even the greatest VN is a rough, slow, uncomfortable, noisy silly bloody thing. I got it really cheap, its done its job, getting me to work and back, and now I wanna drive something that I actively enjoy. That is worrying what you say about your mates and headgaskets, but surely, there are so many EB/ED's out there, if it was such a horribly bad thing, nobody would keep them. I have basic mechanical skills, quite happy to service and repair my own cars, but I want a car I can just service, and trust to run for its 5,000km intervals.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Wasnt looking to spend that much at the moment mate, but thanks anyway! Might consider it later on if the GTS goes sometime soon.

Very nice, by the way.
No worries mate.

Only reason I'd think of selling her would be to rid me of some debt created because of the car :(

It's an absolute ripper of a car, and with the LPG on it now, she is cheap to run!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
XRated
Shoot.

I've had a bit of trouble with my ED, usually because of my careless mistakes and "modifying." The only things that have really let go in the ~70,000kms I've had it due to age is a dead fuel pump ($100 or so) and general service items; such as leads and plugs that I think were the same ones from factory. It's done in excess of 200,000kms.

I wouldn't let the head gasket issue deter you too much. Just budget for an AU engine to drop in and Bob's ya uncle! If it is a worry, try and look out for a Fairmont that's just had the head gasket replaced - they often pop up around the place. If you alredy have the right tools, they're not too hard to replace anyway.

First thing I would do is get a full cooling system flush, service the auto and fit a trans cooler if it doesn't have one already.

20V Turbo

Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
Rob
Living the dream

Yeah I've already sussed out trans coolers, was gonna get one for my AU before I sold it. I've never changed a headgasket before, so I'll read up on it. I'm sure theres a guide here or on fordmods.com. Incidentally, did the quality of the headgaskets change with the introduction of the EF, and is there a big leap between an ED and an EF? Besides the obvious advances of going from a 94 model to 95. I know the EF develops more power, but I'm not fussed with that.

Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Christiaan

Headgaskets were the same up until AU's. AU used a steel gasket, and are alot better.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
XRated
Shoot.

In terms of power there wasn't a great difference with the ED and EF. I'm not aware of all the changes but some of the most noticeable:
  • drastic exterior changes (including some new colours)
  • considerable interior alterations that makes the EB/ED dash look very dated (including a normal style handbrake)
  • better balanced crank (smoother and revs a tiny bit more)
  • single belt setup including a bigger alternator
  • ABS standard (I think!)
  • thermo fans
  • broadband manifold intake (better response and power curve)
  • different radiator etc etc

If you are comparing an ED and an EF in the same condition and price, the EF is a much better buy mechanically. The only reason you wouldn't is if you prefer the boxier shape of the ED (I do). Headgasket issues will still be a concern regardless, right up until the AU where is almost ironed out.

Just for your information, an auto ED and an EF side-by-side from 0km/h, there is quite a large difference in terms of response/accelleration due to the extra low down torque due to the BBM.

I hope it helps

20V Turbo

Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #17
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
[*]ABS standard (I think!)
Pretty sure ABS didn't come standard on Falcons until the AUII!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #18
Rob
Living the dream

You guys are a veritable fountain of knowledge. Thanks for all the help, tis much appreciated. I prefer the look of ED's, but I think, if I can find an EF Futura/Mont for around the $5k mark, I'll go one of them. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the AU gasket is interchangeable with earlier motors, is this correct?

Looks like I'm joining the E-series club shortly then :thebirds:

Last edited by Rob; 07-01-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: speellling
Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #19
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah au gasket goes straight in and raises compression. so its a good way to go rob!

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post