Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Angry Had ADSL But Now Not Available!

I've had ADSL for a couple years now and a couple months ago my phone line got disconected after the phone bill was paid after recieving an overdue letter from Iprimus:jab: . Once it was back up i was told i had to reapply for adsl. After a 2 week wait i was told my line was not able to support adsl, WTF. My provider told me it's telstra's fault and only they can fix it. I call telstra and they say i can get it, so i ring my provider and they say no. I ring telstra and they say no i can't. My dad rings telstra and they say it can be connected. I feel like a yo-yo after this. After another call to telstra they tell me the line is a maybe and that i will have to apply to a plan to find out if it works. Well it doesn't and my only option it seems is satellite or wireless which i'm not keen on.
Telstra also said that the exhange doesn't have anymore room for adsl or some crap like that. It's really ****ing me off. I had adsl for over 2 years and now i've been stuck on dialup for a couple months now.
Is there anything i can do?

Thanks

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #2
plext
Forum Director

Not really. If Telstra say no go then you are probably stuck with the alternates.

The no room line is not just a line though, exchanges are not set up to handle a DSL line for every phone line, but rather a percentage. If they are out of jumper space, you're out of luck unfortunately.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing you can try is to reapply for your old provider and let that fail.
Immediately apply for Bigpond internet afterwards. If that succeeds, then you can then get in contact with your old provider and arrange to be churned across to them again for free. It is illegal for Telstra to give special preference to their customers and not customers from other ISPs.

I would also suggest having a read around on Whirlpool for more information on this. (http://www.whirlpool.net.au)
Old 20-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Probably a good case for the telecommunications ombudsman, or internet ombudsman if there is one.... (probably just the former).
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

So, the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman it is.

http://www.tio.com.au/

Hope you get a good resolution.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
:
Old 20-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can u get wireless internet in your area ?
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Why is it everytime something dosnt go your way you internet guys go running to the ombudsmen. Especially to do with Telstra. It's like a hobby or something.

Your phone line got disconnected as you didnt pay the bill. In the mean time either the exhchange has been filled for ADSL ports or it was already full and someone on the waiting list was contacted and took it.

The TIO is not going to wave a magic wand and fix the situation. Before the TIO will do anything you have to have tried to work it out with the companies involved which isnt just reapplying. You have to address the issue with them and try to mediate a satisfactory solution. Even if you have done this in this instance I dont think there is much the TIO will do for you as it sounds like you have had some bad luck.

How long was the phone disconnected for? Why did they cancel your internet and not just suspend it awaiting payment?

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
So, the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman it is.

http://www.tio.com.au/

Hope you get a good resolution.

heard good things about this
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe your exchange is full and they cant connect you to it??? i dunno i didnt read all the posts

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
Why is it everytime something dosnt go your way you internet guys go running to the ombudsmen. Especially to do with Telstra. It's like a hobby or something.

Your phone line got disconnected as you didnt pay the bill. In the mean time either the exhchange has been filled for ADSL ports or it was already full and someone on the waiting list was contacted and took it.

The TIO is not going to wave a magic wand and fix the situation. Before the TIO will do anything you have to have tried to work it out with the companies involved which isnt just reapplying. You have to address the issue with them and try to mediate a satisfactory solution. Even if you have done this in this instance I dont think there is much the TIO will do for you as it sounds like you have had some bad luck.

How long was the phone disconnected for? Why did they cancel your internet and not just suspend it awaiting payment?

I guess it depends how much crap you get fed from Telstra and how much of it you are prepared to swallow.

When I shifted factory about 3 years ago I paid telstra to put in a dedicated ADSL/Fax line. They took my money and put the line in, but it turned out to be not compatible with ADSL as it was a "paired gain line".
When questioned about it they said that no one in the area could have ADSL and they had made a mistake.
I accepted this and continued with dial up until one of my neighbours in the factory complex got ADSL 2-3 weeks later.
A friend of a friend was in a position to access the computer layout of phone lines in the area and told me that there was several "copper lines" available for ADSL to our complex that were not being used and it is standard procedure to swap the links at the exchange and pillar boxes to route it to my factory.
I again questioned Telstra regarding this and they said it cannot be done.
The friend of a friend said that is a standard response from them and to take it to the ombudsman, which I did.
I received a complaint number which I informed Telstra about and the problem was solved within 3 working days.

The technician that fixed the problem said that the original work order did not specify that the line was for ADSL and that if it had of it would not of been a problem at all.

Bit of a long winded post but it shows that sometimes the customer is right and Telstra occasionally treat people like mushrooms.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
cupic
Nikon

I had a similar problem in that 5yrs ago had adsl where no one within 500m of me had dsl,when i changed isp they said if you disconnect cant guarentee dsl ever again.The story is that I shouldve have had dsl in the first place.Mind you if you where to apply for bigpond dsl you would be connected as fast as

cant wait foe dsl2+

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6

Playing Judge, Jury and Executioner are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
After a 2 week wait i was told my line was not able to support adsl, WTF. My provider told me it's telstra's fault and only they can fix it. I call telstra and they say i can get it, so i ring my provider and they say no. I ring telstra and they say no i can't. My dad rings telstra and they say it can be connected. I feel like a yo-yo after this. After another call to telstra they tell me the line is a maybe and that i will have to apply to a plan to find out if it works.
Sounds like there may possibly have been some missmanagement of CSV_LS1's account. He asked for help, and generally, if you need help with a dispute with an ISP, you talk to the TIO.

I don't know all the facts, but nor do you. I guess at least one of us is being helpful. :yeees:
Quote:
:
Old 20-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i was working for an ISP.

Telstra would tell our users that if they swaped over to bigpond that the line would be fixed and us (the isp) were to blame. !!!

So if you apply with bigpond your adsl will magicly work.

If you dont try with bigpond try on a lower speed. say if your going for 1.5mb try 512 or 256.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #14
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
I've had ADSL for a couple years now and a couple months ago my phone line got disconected after the phone bill was paid after recieving an overdue letter from Iprimus:jab: . Once it was back up i was told i had to reapply for adsl. After a 2 week wait i was told my line was not able to support adsl, WTF. My provider told me it's telstra's fault and only they can fix it. I call telstra and they say i can get it, so i ring my provider and they say no. I ring telstra and they say no i can't. My dad rings telstra and they say it can be connected. I feel like a yo-yo after this. After another call to telstra they tell me the line is a maybe and that i will have to apply to a plan to find out if it works. Well it doesn't and my only option it seems is satellite or wireless which i'm not keen on.
Telstra also said that the exhange doesn't have anymore room for adsl or some crap like that. It's really ****ing me off. I had adsl for over 2 years and now i've been stuck on dialup for a couple months now.
Is there anything i can do?

Thanks
I've had a similar circumstance while trying to get ADSL via Iprimus and Net2000. Both applications failed unable to get it to my house. I applied with Telstra straight away and you know the result. Suprise, surprise it was connected in 2 weeks.

I had to wait out Telstra's 12mths contract which I paid extra to get. A 24mth contract is unacceptable in this day and age. I churned to Internode in Nov 05.

Your best bet it to provide proof that you had it. Fax them a copy of your ADSL bill. Telstra may have changed the type of line to your house on reconnection although I doubt it.

[edit]I've also been asked by people in my estate as we petitioned to get ADSL in this estate about ADSL. Some still can't get it yet live in the same street as me.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I've had a similar circumstance while trying to get ADSL via Iprimus and Net2000. Both applications failed unable to get it to my house. I applied with Telstra straight away and you know the result. Suprise, surprise it was connected in 2 weeks.

I had to wait out Telstra's 12mths contract which I paid extra to get.
They aren't allowed to do that. You could have called up Iprimus or Net2000 and you could have churned across for free.
Telstra are not allowed to give special treatment to Bigpond customers. I.e. If you can be connected through Bigpond, you should be able to be connected to any ISP.

Hence my post above.

Edit: I should mention that if you tried one ISP and it failed, and you are then connected up to Bigpond within 30 days, you are then allowed to churn for free.
Old 20-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just happy to have ADSL

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Thanks guys for your input. Will see how i go.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post