Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
STK-XR8

Default why motorist abuse speed camera operators

l think this topic hasnt been asked so here goes.

l was driving home the other day when l spotted a camera car with a motorist yelling and screaming at the operator thru the passengers window ,as l was driving past another motorist was bepping his horn and giving the operator a one finger salute and yelling out you f#c^n dogs.

would like to know what other members think about this.

my 2 cents- you speed you get caught its your own fault no-one told you to speed so why have a go at the camera operator ,he / she is just doing a job feeding his / her family paying there bills like all of us.

or is it because they are on the front line to the public.

STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
YuGoStaR
Long Member

The issue is not of getting fined for speeding, it's getting fined when you're barely a few kilometres over, which is rather ridiculous.
Old 26-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know why you would ever abuse one? I've been driving 10 years and have never had a fine via a camera. They stand out like a bright yellow circle on a black back ground. Anyone that gets caught by one deserves it for being nieve.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I don't know why you would ever abuse one? I've been driving 10 years and have never had a fine via a camera. They stand out like a bright yellow circle on a black back ground. Anyone that gets caught by one deserves it for being nieve.
ha ha, come to qld and the buggers hide in the tree's that devide the two sides of the highway. ive never got done by one but im sure a fair few have
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Why should they miss out???????Parasites

Parasite
Noun
1. An animal or plant that lives in or on a host (another animal or plant); the parasite obtains nourishment from the host without benefiting or killing the host.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Simmo
White Lightning

yeh you mexicans shouldnt be able to complain. you get warning signs and all sorts of crap. we get clapped out magnas hiding cams inside or sitting just after a speed change sign and booking you for 3 over.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
yeh you mexicans shouldnt be able to complain. you get warning signs and all sorts of crap. we get clapped out magnas hiding cams inside or sitting just after a speed change sign and booking you for 3 over.
We don't get warning signs at all. I know other states do. Generally 100m before the camera. We just have to look out for the blatently obvious camera/camera car.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Hally

I personally do't abuse them, but what peeves me is that you have civillians doing the job of law enforcement. If I break the law I want to be pinged by a policer officer, not an overpaid private operator.

Just my 2 cents.....
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR

Parasite
Noun
1. An animal or plant that lives in or on a host (another animal or plant); the parasite obtains nourishment from the host without benefiting or killing the host.
These guys are just doing a job, they don't make the rules.

Like the rest of us they probably have a family and bills to pay and if it came to a choice of being a speed camera operator or being unemployed you have to do the right thing by your family don't you??

It's not like these poor buggers are taking pleasure in what they are doing. Noone in their right mind would enjoy a job where they are regularly abused by mindless, narrow-minded twits.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
MRJUCY
Fordless

Not something I'd do personally but why not if it makes them feel better about themselves, the people who take on the job know what it involves so I don't feel any pity for them.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR

Parasite
Noun
Found the dictionary hey Phil.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Elaborating on what brenx said, Victoria is the speed camera capital. They are everywhere, and there is no signage whatsoever. Any car parked on the side of the road can be suspicious, particularily if it is a Hyundai SantaFe. Personally I hate speed cameras despite never being caught by one. That doesn't mean I would abuse the operator though. I dislike the fact you can be booked for being 2 or 3km/h over the speed limit, despite speedos having a margin of error of 10%. The speed camera also has a tolerance so the speed camera can actually ping people who aren't really speeding (as some of the fixed speed cameras have already done). Another thing that annoys me about them as well is that the revenue these cameras collect doesn't seem to go back into road safety. I'm from country Victoria (but based at Melbourne for uni) and all around Gippsland, there are poor condition roads with large potholes, really poor patch up jobs, and large drop-off to the gravel shoulders of the road. In my opinion this is more dangerous than people going 3km/h over the speed limit. That's my 2c on the issue.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Their beef rests with their government but they dont have the BALLS to take it to this level - they get much better endorphin releases by abusing the guy that's paid to guard the detection device.

It's pretty simple, really.

If you abuse someone who is operating/supervising a photographic speed detection device, you are a neanderthal. If you had indeed evolved to a point where you are no longer a primate, you would realise that this person has nothing to do with traffic policy and is simply doing their job.
Old 26-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Elaborating on what brenx said, Victoria is the speed camera capital. They are everywhere, and there is no signage whatsoever. Any car parked on the side of the road can be suspicious, particularily if it is a Hyundai SantaFe. Personally I hate speed cameras despite never being caught by one. That doesn't mean I would abuse the operator though. I dislike the fact you can be booked for being 2 or 3km/h over the speed limit, despite speedos having a margin of error of 10%. The speed camera also has a tolerance so the speed camera can actually ping people who aren't really speeding (as some of the fixed speed cameras have already done). Another thing that annoys me about them as well is that the revenue these cameras collect doesn't seem to go back into road safety. I'm from country Victoria (but based at Melbourne for uni) and all around Gippsland, there are poor condition roads with large potholes, really poor patch up jobs, and large drop-off to the gravel shoulders of the road. In my opinion this is more dangerous than people going 3km/h over the speed limit. That's my 2c on the issue.
Agree 100% mate!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9

Like the rest of us they probably have a family and bills to pay and if it came to a choice of being a speed camera operator or being unemployed you have to do the right thing by your family don't you??

It's not like these poor buggers are taking pleasure in what they are doing. Noone in their right mind would enjoy a job where they are regularly abused by mindless, narrow-minded twits.
They can choose whether their job makes them the most or 2nd most hated people in the country. They have a conscience (at least I hope they do) and I for one would never stoop so low as to become a camera operator. I class them lower than ticks, faken turdheaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Their beef rests with their government but they dont have the BALLS to take it to this level - they get much better endorphin releases by abusing the guy that's paid to guard the detection device.

It's pretty simple, really.

If you abuse someone who is operating/supervising a photographic speed detection device, you are a neanderthal. If you had indeed evolved to a point where you are no longer a primate, you would realise that this person has nothing to do with traffic policy and is simply doing their job.

I agree with you there, but the camera operator has the free will to say "no I choose not to do your dirty work for you, I'll seek employment elsewhere."
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #16
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
yeah...ok... last year when i was in QLD, the only speed cameras had warning sign "speed camera ahead" then you see a fully marked police Landcruiser with a camera....sneaky ehh ???

Down here they put cameras at the bottom of hills in 60 zones then book you for 3klm over and wonder why they get abused.
I heard a story about a bloke talking to camera operator to distract him while his mate unscrewed the numberplate, they put it on their own car and went speeding past the camera car a heap of times, 30 plus over the limit. :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

Doing a job yes, but many of the places they put the camera are there purley to take advantage of hills and speed change zones, is this part of their job ? no, just revenue raising.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #18
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

They chose to screw over people for a living, getting abuse is part of the job and they just have to accept it.

Im one of the people that abuses them every time i go past, sure it doesnt do much but if it ruins their day, then hopefully one day they will quit scamming the public for a living and that will create more hastle for steve tax and his goons.

In WWII the SS were "just" doing their job too.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #19
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
Surely the mere fact they need to be there to guard the detection device should give you the hint that speed cameras are a sly and underhanded way of speed limit enforcement.

The effect that speed limits have on the road toll are absolutely minuscule compared to all the other contributing factors - people failing to give way, unroadworthy vehicles, inattention, poor road conditions or visibility (i.e. big-a55 bushes planted on roundabouts and traffic islands so you cant see cars that are coming) poor driver training etc etc etc.

Normal, sane motorists with some idea of the real causes of accidents/crashes who take care when driving are rightfully outraged at being called an 'unsafe' driver for exceeding the (often rediculous) speed limit, while people who fail to give way, fail to indicate, or just plain old fail to care aren't penalised in the slightest.

"lex injusta non est lex"

Don't remember who has that as their user text, but it's damn good.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #20
'68 CortyMan
Starter Motor

ive been flashed by 4 cameras and two red lights cameras for being just over or just clipped the red and they never followed those up anyway. friends and family have all experienced this as well so in reality they only follow ones up that are really doing that **** on purpose.

I also wwas walking home from the pub the other night and being slightly tipsy i was talking to everyone who i came across and one of them happened to be a camera man. He kindly informed me after trying to get my question right that usually they dont even set the cameras to go off unless the drivers are 10k's over the limit.

And those who say that they are screwing people over to make a living:
- they are simply being paid by the government, this means that if these people are screwing people because they work for the government, then surely EVERY person who works for the government would be classified as doing this.
'68 CortyMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #21
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I heard a story about a bloke talking to camera operator to distract him while his mate unscrewed the numberplate, they put it on their own car and went speeding past the camera car a heap of times, 30 plus over the limit. :
err...That's an Urban myth.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/snaptrap.asp

This is another amusing but untrue one.
http://www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/speedcam.asp

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

In the words of Homer Simpson "cause its fun, derr". If they don't like being yelled at for being government revenue raising stooges then they shouldn't be doing it for a living. I couldn't live with myself knowing I was ripping off people who make a small mistake. Even police officers and parlimentarians have been caught speeding. Everybody makes mistakes.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #23
owl

up here near noosa the fun police sometimes take stupidity to a new level its been known for them to stand with radar at the end of impossible short overtaking lanes and to look to get a guy a few clicks over just for trying to get safley past and dont worry all of these laww enforcers believe in what there doing if you get my drift
owl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar
Actually it is NOT an urban myth. It actually happened in Brisbane out near Ipswich. There was a nice news story about it showing the actual camera van that was the victim.
A statement was issued by QPOL about how naughty it was and all the other charges that will be issued when they catch the baddies and how the hi-def piccies are helping them identify the vehicle and driver etc.....

Just goes to show eh.... ya can't always trust the internet....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #25
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's morally wrong for a government to be making money from speed cameras, it is also morally wrong for an individual to be making money from speed cameras (whether you own them, contract to work for them, or rake it in through fines - makes no difference) if the view is that its wrong then stick to it,

abusing people might be going a little far though, but i dont agree with the government OR individuals making money from these things, but I can see the good they do for our roads, but i think it was a simple solution, that didnt create efficiency on our roads
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #26
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror

In WWII the SS were "just" doing their job too.
the waffen SS were just doing their job. be specific there was more than one branch of the SS.

in south aus some camera cars have side mounted cameras on the roof, just to catch abusive "customers". not sure of the fine etc, but there must have been a need.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
the waffen SS were just doing their job. be specific there was more than one branch of the SS.

in south aus some camera cars have side mounted cameras on the roof, just to catch abusive "customers". not sure of the fine etc, but there must have been a need.
Okay the branch that used to execute people.
Im sure none of their victims personally offended them but the government told them to do it so they did.

THanks for the tip. Ive yet to see any herein Vic, if i do ill give them a thumbs up while im screaming lol.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #28
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its quite simple really everybody leaves 15mins before they have to and sit 10ks under the speed limit all the time...they'll be out of a job in no time!

Or everybody can carry a can of black or whatever colour you like of spray paint..pull up in front of the camera car and paint the windscreen and flash unit...problem solvered!!

Or just resort to anarchy and trash the car and beat the crap out of the operator....whats the worst they can do to you...shoot you and they won't do that!!!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #29
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I wouldnt blame the poor operator. Its the job he's got, to pay off his mortgage and feed and clothe his family. Someone will still be operating these regardless.

The reason we have these cameras is government policy.

I remember during the last Victorian Govt election, the speed limit tolerance on speed cameras was a big issue with the opposition opposing the tight tolerances that they introduced. The govt was still re-elected.

People have bad memories.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #30
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:

yeah like herion dealers ??????? :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post