Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
378ute
351,XD,Locker

Default Going to Perth

The company i work for has gone national recently and picked up quite a few jobs all over the place. Our perth based company needs a few more workers and we picked a a big job at the airport which starts after easter. So i'm heading over to perth just after easter for at least a year maybe a little longer. Theres 4 of us, heading over, so looking for 2 houses, been having a little bit of trouble trying to find some accomadation, place to rent, as most want us to view first, which is a bit hard since where in melbourne.

So any help would be much appreciated.

Also where are some good places to fish?

378ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi mate,

Yeh the house situation is pretty bad here at the moment. Because of the boom in perth, there is such a high demand for housing. And supply cant meet demand. Its caused house prices to sky high and alot of people are choosing to rent, which is why there are not many houses avalible. I think the average house price over here is higher than sydney now. There are still houses to rent, but for something decent your looking at $300+ per week.

I fish at hillarys boat harbor or woodmans point. Im not sure how great they are, but I seem to catch fish, so im happy. But if you travel about 3 hours south of Perth there is a town called busselton. It has a huge 2km jetty there. Iv caught some pretty big fish going down there.

cheers

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
378ute
351,XD,Locker

Yeah seems to be the way everywhere at the moment. Just got back from canberra and geez was that a hard place to get accomadation, everywhere was booked for weeks in advance.
Few hours south of perth will be alright, got some relatives i think 3 and half hours south. on the margaret river.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

margret river is about 1 hour past busellton.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover

Last edited by russellw; 08-03-2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed unecessary comment
Old 08-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
dikfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
margret river is about 1 hour past busellton.
Head down margaret river if you get the chance mate. Is a great place, very relaxing. Also the Busso Jetty is alright fishing, I mean the jetty effn rediculously big, I aint caught much of their but i mean i've seen some people catch some really decent sized flat head. But if you really wanna go fishing, either hire a boat of find someone with a boat and head over the rottnest and fish off of their, theres a few ship wrecks off of their where you can pick up some nice dhufish or every some pinkys, and i mean if you pick the right day you can do some trolling of the left end and pick up some shark mackeral, i mean i've never had any luck, but i've watched alot of fishing shows and the bastards always seem to pick up a few haha

Last edited by russellw; 08-03-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Removed unecessary comment
dikfeld is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
But if you travel about 3 hours south of Perth there is a town called busselton. It has a huge 2km jetty there. Iv caught some pretty big fish going down there.

cheers

Hey thats my town! good old busso.
oh and theres plenty of big dhueys and pinkys off busselton.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
378ute
351,XD,Locker

well it looks like i'll have to have a short stop of at busselton on my way down to margaret river, pack the rods for sure
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got married in Perth in January last year. Nice place, Fremantle, Rottnest, loved them. great memories.
I found Margaret River a bit over rated. Not much there if you don't surf or drink wine, just a few overpriced lolly shops and lots of trucks in the main street. Busselton and Dunsborough (Bunker bay??) much nicer, although I suspect there is an underlying bogan element in Busselton, you could see it in the cheap motel we stayed in.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Moderator: I think some of the foregoing comments breach the RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 and should be removed. From my perception as a long term WA resident I also believe they are not well founded and in any event are inappropriate for this forum.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Moderator: I think some of the foregoing comments breach the RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 and should be removed. From my perception as a long term WA resident I also believe they are not well founded and in any event are inappropriate for this forum.
you must not go out enough mate. Im sure most people on this forum agree with me along with 97% of perth

Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Geez who sent in the lawyers.....
Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Let's keep this on topic shall we.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...edited

as far as accomodation goes, you'll probably be very lucky if you find a house to rent here, lately there has been rental bidding going on, but the gov't is "fixing" it now to make it fairer
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Deleted in line with moderator's request,
Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

aussieblue, did you listen to Hack on Triple J this arvo?

they were talking about people speaking up when other people make inappropriate/racial comments.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #16
378ute
351,XD,Locker

yeah i had heard about this rent bidding , so they are trying to get rid of this now are they??
Old 09-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #17
B-Series

Quote:
you must not go out enough mate. Im sure most people on this forum agree with me along with 97% of perth
Agree with what???
B-Series is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Oops fell to temptation again but now deleted
Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #19
adrianb

Theres not really anywhere near the airport that you'd want to live. Maybe look around maylands, mt lawley, carlisle - somewhere with easy access to gt eastern hwy and tonkin hwy. I grew up in Midland which isn't far from the airport and has grown a lot but is still a bit feral.

For fishing, my folks til a few years ago had holiday shack down near woodmans point - place called naval base on cockburn sound and we always had good beach fishing for herring, tailor and whiting but that was years ago now

Heading outta the city to busselton to the south or lancelin to the north makes for a good weekend. Margaret River is my fave place on earth but to me spending the day cruising wineries and the couple of breweries there and the night drinking what you bought is as good as it gets If you've got a few more days and want some amazing fishing head up north to shark bay.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Hate Margs River, most over rated place in the country. But everywhere else down there is nice. Yallingup, Augusta, Dunsborough etc. are all much nicer in my opinion.

Best kept secret in the country is Karijini but that is 2000km north of Perth so more than a day ride :->

Rentals are nigh on impossible here at the moment mate. The company will end up putting you up in hotels or apartments I reckon.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #21
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Series
Agree with what???
With what I said befor, which has now been deleted. I know most people would agree with me. Its just that most people wont say that they agree because they will be acussed of being racist by the ones who say we should love everyone. And it dosnt matter what colour skin they have. Well for me its not about the colour of someones skin. Hell, I have a bunch of family that is thai. Its just based on experiences that I have had or witnessed with that race.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:13 AM   #22
Monkey
XM FALCON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews

Best kept secret in the country is Karijini but that is 2000km north of Perth so more than a day ride :->
Yeah thats one beautiful spot , the gorges are a great place for a swim to escape the heat.

I FluXx I .Your a winner :togo: but it's probably genetic so cant be helped
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 AM   #23
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
Yeah thats one beautiful spot , the gorges are a great place for a swim to escape the heat.

I FluXx I .Your a winner :togo: but it's probably genetic so cant be helped
Im a winner! In your face everyone! I win!!
: : :

Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #24
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
aussieblue, did you listen to Hack on Triple J this arvo?

they were talking about people speaking up when other people make inappropriate/racial comments.
Yeah, speak up, shout them down, but the PROBLEM doesn't go away does it. Attention is diverted away from the issue.

Last edited by GXL078; 09-03-2007 at 10:14 AM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
5.0failane

Back on topic I am about to start looking for someone to rent out my brothers house. An olderstyle 3 x 1 its nice and tidy but nothing too flash in a suburb called westfield. Not the flashest suburb but getting better and not far from the airport now that tonkin Hwy goes through
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
378ute
351,XD,Locker

I can see on the map where it is, any idea how long it would take to get to airport as I would be on call, so would need to be within a reasonable time frame. Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #27
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378ute
I can see on the map where it is, any idea how long it would take to get to airport as I would be on call, so would need to be within a reasonable time frame. Thanks
Less than 30 minutes I estimate mate. Perhaps as low as 20 sometimes if traffic is good.

But be aware that anything on the market rental wise that is not occupied instantly or applied for by dozens of people must be a basketcase. Boom is an understatement over here. It's crazy.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
5.0failane

you could be in the airport within 20 minutes depending on the traffic. My brother bought the place just on 6 months ago but lives up north so it hasnt been lived in and hasnt been advertised as yet, thats why it is vacant. it was just easy to have a place to store his gear while he was away, and gave me a chance to get the lawns and stuff up to scratch. The area itself is getting much better, they are about half way throu developing the biggest man made rowing facility in the sothern hemisphere just over his back fence so you get a nice look at the water. It's not a new place or anything but its not bad with a spa in the encloised outdoor area and is 500 bucks a week like every other place in Perth
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post