Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
HSE2

Default Iron Maiden Announce Brand New Studio Album

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

Details

http://www.ironmaiden.com

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

Good God you must be kidding.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They must be low on cash. I used to have a heap of their albums till my car got broken into. I lost most of my collection of Iron Maiden and various other artists albums.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
They must be low on cash. I used to have a heap of their albums till my car got broken into. I lost most of my collection of Iron Maiden and various other artists albums.
That would be right you teenage dirtbag.................. :sm_headba
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Low on cash?? It's not like they ever stopped making albums.

It's sounding promising so far, perhaps the best album they've done since Bruce and Adrian returned to the band.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

the new song "The Return of Benjamin Breeg" has been leaked, its pretty readily available to find on the net.

also, Megadeth's new album title has been released... "United Abominations" another political title, a play on the united nations this time. would have been better if it had the word 'peace' in it : :sm_headba

Quote:
Dave Mustaine reveals all the gory details leading up to Megadeth's new album for Roadrunner, to be titled United Abominations, in this interview posted by MTV News this morning:

When Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine named his band's 2004 album The System Has Failed, he seemed to be commenting on the state of U.S. politics. But in retrospect, the title was dead-on for an entirely different reason: The system Mustaine depended on for his livelihood was falling apart.

There were problems with the band's lineup, an ugly lawsuit had developed with ex-bassist David Ellefson, and the label that released the album suffered a staff shakeup that resulted in what Mustaine called "a complete lack of support for the project." In February 2005, Mustaine announced plans to disband Megadeth and go solo. As the year progressed, however, he re-evaluated his decision, and on October 9 at a concert in Buenos Aires, Argentina, he declared that Megadeth would continue.

"My decision was a combination of a few things," Mustaine said as he prepared to enter the studio to record vocals for the band's upcoming album, United Abominations, which is scheduled for a Halloween release. "I was finally associating with guys that really love to play â?? [ex-Eidolon guitarist Glen Drover and drummer Shawn Drover] â?? and that make me feel really good to play. They respect me and are fans of the music that we play and of the music in our genre. Also, ticket sales were up and record sales were up â?? it was happening again."

Inspired by his decision, Mustaine wrote a batch of new songs, signed a new deal with Roadrunner Records and hired bassist James LoMenzo (ex-Black Label Society and, um, White Lion) to replace James Macdonough. Then the band flew to England to record drums for the album.

"We rented [Led Zeppelin drummer] John Bonham's drum kit and recorded at a studio in [Pink Floyd guitarist] David Gilmour's house, which was great." Mustaine said.

"The kit is the only one that's available in the world to rent," Drover added. "Dave surprised me with that, which was pretty incredible because I didn't even know it was possible to get Bonham's kit to rent for anybody. So I incorporated the bass drum and his floor tom and a snare on the kit that I use in the studio, and that was really inspiring. We played in the middle of nowhere and it was just a really cool vibe."

After the drums were finished, Megadeth returned to California to record the guitars and bass. Even before the vocals were added, it was clear that United Abominations was going to please fans of Megadeth's vintage material. "If I was to say what time this record would have came out, I would have said some time before [1990's] Rust in Peace or sometime after [1992's] Countdown to Extinction, Mustaine said. "The critics called The System Has Failed a return to form, but this is even more so. The record company that I'm with now gets it and I'm with management who gets it. So I don't have to write songs because the wives of certain bandmembers are griping or their mortgage is not getting paid or management is telling me that I've got to get a record done to do the tour and I've got to do the tour because if not, I'm not going to be able to pay my bills."

Such skewed reasoning, insisted Mustaine, was largely responsible for Megadeth's transformation from a stellar thrash outfit to a more commercial entity. It all started after the landmark album Rust in Peace, when Megadeth recorded the slightly more commercial Countdown to Extinction, which reached #2 on the Billboard albums chart.

"After that, the pressure came from all sorts of different angles and I was learning as I was going along," Mustaine said. "Also, we had pretty much a revolving lineup within the band and with representation from management and with numerous administrations at the record companies. While we were signed to Capitol, there were six different presidents there. So, we've never really had any long-term equilibrium."

United Abominations will mark Megadeth recording debut of the Drover brothers. The album will contain 11 songs, including the title track, "Washington's Next" and "Gears of War" an additional track will be included with the Japanese release. "It's a really diverse record," Shawn said. "There's some faster stuff that should appeal to the band's thrash fans and it's got a little more mainstream stuff as well. It's definitely not one-dimensional."

The record is being co-produced by Mustaine and Jeff Balding, who has worked on three other Megadeth discs. But while Balding has an arsenal of contemporary gizmos at his disposal, the album is being created with the kinds of equipment and techniques the band used in the late '80s â?? before the advent of ProTools and digital editing.

"I wanted to go back to the way the stuff was done in the beginning," said Mustaine. "I think Megadeth boils down to its bare minimum. When you break it down, Megadeth is guitar, bass, drums and guitar solos. And when it starts going in directions where there's a little bit too much stuff going on that can't be done onstage, it loses heaviness because that stuff probably shouldn't be there anyway."

As he heads into the final weeks of production, Mustaine is happy with his new songs, ecstatic about his current bandmates and looking forward to announcing the lineup for the second Gigantour, the technical-metal festival he launched and headlined last year. Once again, the system is fully operational.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/153...headlines=true
Old 19-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

HLC, Iron Maiden's own site has the audio/video for their new single - I'd say it's released, not leaked.

Not holding my breathe on the Megadeth either, nothing since Rust in Peace has done much for me.

On the other hand, I saw Queensryche last Friday night, where they played Operation Mindcrime 1 and 2 in their entirety plus some stuff from Empire, etc at the end. An utterly awesome show, and I still have 'Spreading the Disease' in my head. They even brought Pamela Moore (voice of Sister Mary on both Mindcrime releases...)

I'm staggered by all the bands that have toured this year (Opeth for the 3rd time, Dismember, Cryptopsy...) and we've got Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Nevermore and a whole raft of bands still coming!

Bet Maiden don't tour...again. 1991 @ the Hordern in Sydney is an extremely distant memory....
Old 19-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
HLC, Iron Maiden's own site has the audio/video for their new single - I'd say it's released, not leaked.

Not holding my breathe on the Megadeth either, nothing since Rust in Peace has done much for me.

On the other hand, I saw Queensryche last Friday night, where they played Operation Mindcrime 1 and 2 in their entirety plus some stuff from Empire, etc at the end. An utterly awesome show, and I still have 'Spreading the Disease' in my head. They even brought Pamela Moore (voice of Sister Mary on both Mindcrime releases...)

I'm staggered by all the bands that have toured this year (Opeth for the 3rd time, Dismember, Cryptopsy...) and we've got Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Nevermore and a whole raft of bands still coming!

Bet Maiden don't tour...again. 1991 @ the Hordern in Sydney is an extremely distant memory....
my mistake, i never even checked maiden's site. ah well :

agreed about Megadeth.. there are some good tracks post RIP, but those are few and far inbetween. but if they went back to old school techniques. im hoping for Peace Sells...But Who's Buying 2. i LOVE that album :

i missed queensryche, had no cash. and im ****ed off about it. oh well...

but i have my kreator, cannibal corpse, and BLS tickets. i want to go to both Sydney Nevermore shows. im skipping Yngwie Malmstee, too much : and Dave Mustaine has said Megadeth will be back before the end of the year probably with "gigantour" the pacakge tour he launched in the states. plus slayers new album whenever it comes.

its an exciting year for metal to say the least :sm_headba
Old 20-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
WOLF
Track Red XY

don't forget Municipal Waste @ the arty in a couple of weeks & Dark Tranquillity later in the year, quality band and last album was surprisingly good!....I doubt they will be as good as their countrymen, Dismember were!
It's been 13 long years since seeing kreator here...will be great to hear some old favourites again!
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
WOLF
Track Red XY

oops, getting off the topic here...A new Iron Maiden album? sure, why the hell not! We all know that they had that golden period up untill the big slump from 1988 pretty much 'til Bruce's return on the killer Brave new world. Haven't heard anything after that, but no doubt it will be yet another worthy release.
The problem with modern metal today is there are far to many bands who want to rush out a new cd every year & they are supported by scavenging Label's trying to make a buck= crap crap crap.
What happen to the golden age of putting out 3 raw but spirited demo's first and then taking 5 years to create a MEMORABLE debut album?????
Having said that though, there are always exceptions......Hell, Nunslaughter are more than welcome to put out a new record every 2 weeks...hehe :
Old 20-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #11
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

My definition of the Golden Age was 1 demo, then album+tour every year or two - like 80's Iron Maiden. Not this 1 album every 5 years junk.

Not all labels are scavengers either, particular the tiny indies who support local bands and don't make money - I used to be one of them...
Old 20-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

my golden age was late 80's when my favourite bands put out their best albums... then there are the exceptions of the newer bands, like Opeth, and CoB...

but i wish i was 18 in the late 80's instead of being born : :sm_headba
Old 20-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
My definition of the Golden Age was 1 demo, then album+tour every year or two - like 80's Iron Maiden. Not this 1 album every 5 years junk.

Not all labels are scavengers either, particular the tiny indies who support local bands and don't make money - I used to be one of them...
I actually don't mind the idea of waiting 3-5 years for a good band to release a solid record. Tis probably one of the only tried and true formulae in music, well metal anyhow. This way band gets LOADS of time turn 15-16 rough tunes into 9-10 great trax.
Nothing worse than a band putting out a record 1 year then, before you know it here they are again....leaves no time to soak the first one in and possibly yearn for the next!
A great axample being local war horses Armoured Angel (RIP), who over 10+ year career in late 80's-early 90's who besides a couple of demo's/rehearsals only officially released 2 ep's & one full length. Now ignorant ones can call that lazy/slow/lack of talent or whatever, but in reality they took their time to forge a distinctive & MEMORABLE sound unique to AA....and only recorded the songs they were satisfied with.
These days it seems good enuff to make 3 good trax, put em all at the start of the cd and just add another 6 (questionable) songs....and hey presto we have a debut record! :
Obviously, (should go without saying bro? haha) I aint talkin about the label's you speak of, who existed in the underground...for the underground. They actually liked and only started label's coz they wanted to support bands they dug and thought others should really hear! Sadly most of these ones are gone and now interent labels rule the roost
Old 20-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

my golden age was the 80 s i was 18 and saw some awsome bands ,i liked Iron Maiden and had about 10 of their albums .I was even guilty of buying a best of from JB HIFI last year to get my fix.KREATOR in a couple of months there is about 10 of us going to that
I just downloaded all S.O.D. nad M.O.D. back catalogue and listening to it now ,it brings back memories

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robscure
I actually don't mind the idea of waiting 3-5 years for a good band to release a solid record. Tis probably one of the only tried and true formulae in music, well metal anyhow. This way band gets LOADS of time turn 15-16 rough tunes into 9-10 great trax.
Nothing worse than a band putting out a record 1 year then, before you know it here they are again....leaves no time to soak the first one in and possibly yearn for the next!
A great axample being local war horses Armoured Angel (RIP), who over 10+ year career in late 80's-early 90's who besides a couple of demo's/rehearsals only officially released 2 ep's & one full length. Now ignorant ones can call that lazy/slow/lack of talent or whatever, but in reality they took their time to forge a distinctive & MEMORABLE sound unique to AA....and only recorded the songs they were satisfied with.
These days it seems good enuff to make 3 good trax, put em all at the start of the cd and just add another 6 (questionable) songs....and hey presto we have a debut record! :
Obviously, (should go without saying bro? haha) I aint talkin about the label's you speak of, who existed in the underground...for the underground. They actually liked and only started label's coz they wanted to support bands they dug and thought others should really hear! Sadly most of these ones are gone and now interent labels rule the roost
AA are a great example of a band who took time, though I think the time taken was more to do with the Joel and Matts working life, rather than a long cycle of honing those awesome tunes.

Spending too long on a song can ultimately wash it on the spontaneous creativity that spawned it in the first place. So many good songs/albums are ones you hear the band say 'yeah, we just slapped that song up on the plane' or 'we went to the studio with a few riffs, and presto, awesome album a few weeks/months later' rather than the Metallica-ish spend 2-3 years collecting ideas, 1-2 years recording the damn thing only for it to suck large quantities of crap.

I can forgive an album that has 4-5 great tunes and a few filler, like so many 80s albums did, because they'd tour every other year and only play the good ones. Like Slayer, who are lucky to play 1, maybe 2 songs off a new album, the rest is the great stuff from the past. If an album only had 2-3 good songs, then yeah, it's probably not worth the effort.

I'd love to see Bolt Thrower come back, their new album is awesome!
Old 20-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
WOLF
Track Red XY

Talking

Haven't heard the new BT and good to hear they are still chugging along ...was great to see them a few years back! Along with Morbid Angel, Carcass & Napalm Death that was one of the better gigs from back then.
My only dissapointment is that Sodom haven't yet made it here, as this would have completed the unbeatable Germaniac force having already seen both Kreator & Destruction. Maybe one of these days hey....
Old 20-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robscure
Haven't heard the new BT and good to hear they are still chugging along ...was great to see them a few years back! Along with Morbid Angel, Carcass & Napalm Death that was one of the better gigs from back then.
My only dissapointment is that Sodom haven't yet made it here, as this would have completed the unbeatable Germaniac force having already seen both Kreator & Destruction. Maybe one of these days hey....
ive been getting in to Sodom recently, and they kick ar5e! :sm_headba
Old 20-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Hey! Quiet, you! :jab:

If that pic with the army tank on the IM.com site is the new album cover, I must say I'm a big fan. Would make for an awesome tattoo. **Strokes chin**

After watching the video of TRoBB, methinks this album could be as good as any of their past stuff. Mind you, I have only heard the one song.

Looking forward to it though.

Oh, and I've just found this website incase anyone's interested. The story of the man behind the song.

http://www.benjaminbreeg.co.uk/

Last edited by Woz; 20-07-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #19
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

I will have to add this CD to my collection as soon as possible. Iron Maiden's music is a pleasant change from the usual sausage factory outputs we usually have heaved upon us.
Old 21-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #20
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
No don't think so. If I were kidding I would have said Metallica are working on their new album (which they are) but the conversation would be pointless.

The web link was there for people to see the play list and hear the demo. Perhaps I should have mentioned that but this site was having issues.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post