Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #31
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dont mind read wine. Actually quite like it. Not as good as beer or bourban though. At a mates 18th we had 3 bottles of Penfolds Grange and at $3000 a bottle is was excellant. Lucky I didn't pay. But I will also drink clear skins of red. Love the SA reds, we do have some great wines produced in this country and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

White wine on the other hand tastes like cat urine (not that i have tried cat urine).

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #32
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
That wonderful Cairns climate has got at your wine mate ... sweet merlots ?????

Yes some blends of merlot are sweet to very sweet...you have got a lot to learn about wine...sport.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #33
Yummy Mummy

Well, after just knocking off two bottles of St Huberts Chardonnay, I'm loving wine right now.......maybe not in the morning when I have a killer headache.
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #34
Perun
SSith Lord

Sweet FA! Terrible, terrible drink! I guess it's just me considering how many people like it.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #35
EF, What else?
A Bloke

I really don't get wine! Is it an acquired taste like everyone says, coz im 19 and struggle to stomach the stuff, where as I have no problems with spirits :
Old 12-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #36
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
What do you love about wine, then? For me:

1. The sound of the cork popping out with a waiter's corkscrew.
2. Looking at the bottle itself, letting it breathe, knowing it's lovely.
3. The "glug-glug" sound of it being decanted into a large wine glass.
4. The first taste. Never as good as you think. But the second sip betters it.
5. The feeling of warmth as the bottle is slowly drained over the course of an evening.
6. Deciding whether to open a second bottle, even though it's a schoolnight.
7. plying girls with wine because they dont like beer or spirits, hence being able to take advantage of them once the bottle has been consumed.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #37
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

wine, to me is like beer, you have to suffer for so long... until you aquire the taste... i'll stick to my Jim Beam, Bacardi and Jagermeister....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #38
MRSXR-5

Default Red or White

I quite like having a red or a white wine with dinner, of course depending what is for dinner depends on what wine is had with it. Lucky for me the other half doesn't drink wine so the whole bottle is for me. Also you can get really good tasting wines for bargin prices which also helps. Cab Sav probably my fav at the present
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #39
StorminaTcup

Cannot stand red wines & only drink sweet whites (Preferably a Brown Brothers)
People keep telling me that red is an aquired taste, but after attending the Wine
Award Dinners for the last four years there is not a hope of me ever changing my view.
My neighbour is happy about that as she gets to drink & doesnt have to drive home.
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #40
max
LWBforME

Trying something different every now and then is fun. The other day I had a Lakes Breeze Bernoota 2001. Very nice! I like Shiraz and other reds, but never tried this one. Getting down to my shack on the coast on a wintry Friday night for the weekend, stoking up the open fire, uncorking a nice red, sipping and sitting back listening to the waves crashing on the shore....... beautiful!!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #41
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
The best thing about wine is the cask, it makes a great flotation device when you have drank 4 litres and can no longer feel your legs in the deep end of the pool.

then blow it up and use it as a pillow lol

sorry neek...i hate wine....i have never been able to find anything i like about it....the smell makes me gag and the taste does much the same...

although it may be sub conscious because when i was in high school my parents had a hunter valley sub scription so there was always bottle of red...= free drinks lol.....i remember slamming down warm red wine at parties when i had no money....such a shame
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #42
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

mmmmm too much goon bag talk here methinks. We shoudl be talking about real wine.

The family is involved with the wine industry, so there's always wine around. Give me a nice red with dinner (yes, some wines compliment the food well)

If i'm catching up with friends, there's always a few bottles consumed before anything else happens. It's the best part of the evening.

As for plying young ladies with wine, I have found the Sparkling Reds to be particularly.........effective.

After all that tho, give me sugarcane wine anyday.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Just got back from a holiday in the Yarra Valley where me and the missus went for a wine tasting tour all day yesterday. Some very nice wines and some that just weren't for my pallet. But I found a Green Point C/S that I would drink (BTW I'm not a fan of C/S).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #44
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

For all those non wine buff's, C/S stands for Caustic Soda. Hence vztrt's disliking of it
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #45
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I make the stuff and at the monent its vintage so im working 12 hours a day 6 days a week and i have black stained hands and i stink like fermenting grapes. So at the moment i hate wine!!!! But usually im a bit partial to a good coonawarra cabernet, theres a also lot of good shirazs from mclaren vale. But i guess the main thing i love is finding the perfect wine to complement a good meal.
P.S. if any of you guys wanna sound like wine ****ers to impress people i can give ya some great winemaking words llol!!!
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #46
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
For all those non wine buff's, C/S stands for Caustic Soda. Hence vztrt's disliking of it
Id say it stands for cab sav i cant see too many people buying bottle of caustic from cellar door , unless they want the real cellar experience lol!!. (that s%$t burns like hell when ya get it in you)
Old 16-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6

LOL, I worked at a bottle shop for long enough so I start thinking everyone knows I was saying cab sauv. But I've has a few that would be quite similar to Caustic Soda.
Old 16-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #48
gozza

corn syrup
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #49
Ringo
I see you....

Some great contributions on this thread.

At the risk of being declared off topic what are posters' feeling on screw cap or cork closures ?

I learnt that it is considered an industry rule of thumb that 10% of wine ends up with taint - tradgic waste.

My stance on it is that I couldn't give a stuff - if anything I can be confident that the screw cap closure is not going to have cork taint.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #50
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Screw cap is coming...I think it's because cork costs to much.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 16-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #51
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Yes some blends of merlot are sweet to very sweet...you have got a lot to learn about wine...sport.
Listening to old bloke's rabbit on about what they think they no. :
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #52
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Some great contributions on this thread.

At the risk of being declared off topic what are posters' feeling on screw cap or cork closures ?

I learnt that it is considered an industry rule of thumb that 10% of wine ends up with taint - tradgic waste.

My stance on it is that I couldn't give a stuff - if anything I can be confident that the screw cap closure is not going to have cork taint.
I dont really care about it on a cheaper bottle but on more expensive ones Im not a fan purey for the fact it doesnt seem right!! but in saying that it would stop you getting mighty ИИИИed off when you pay $50 for a bottle of wine that smells like a soggy heshan sack.

It is the way of the future though, every one of the wines at the winery i work at are stelvin caps (srew tops for those not in the know lol!!)
Old 17-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xm250
I dont really care about it on a cheaper bottle but on more expensive ones Im not a fan purey for the fact it doesnt seem right!! but in saying that it would stop you getting mighty ИИИИed off when you pay $50 for a bottle of wine that smells like a soggy heshan sack.

It is the way of the future though, every one of the wines at the winery i work at are stelvin caps (srew tops for those not in the know lol!!)

Had a bottle of sticks the other night (screw top) that seems to have let some air in as the wine had small bubbles in it. I couldn't finish it. So screw tops are prone to problems. So it is used as they're cheaper than corks. So I'll agree in cheap bottles it should be used but for cellaring wine I'd want cork to be used.
Old 17-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #54
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Listening to old bloke's rabbit on about what they think they no. :
Know, is the correct spelling and what do you like about cleanskins?

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 17-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #55
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Had a bottle of sticks the other night (screw top) that seems to have let some air in as the wine had small bubbles in it. I couldn't finish it. So screw tops are prone to problems. So it is used as they're cheaper than corks. So I'll agree in cheap bottles it should be used but for cellaring wine I'd want cork to be used.

Maybe it was meant to be bubbly as is Dolcetto and Syrah. Just lightly though.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 17-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Maybe it was meant to be bubbly as is Dolcetto and Syrah. Just lightly though.
I've never seen a bubbly pino (unless it was sparkling). I know there was something wrong with it after I had a drink. Happened to me with Shiraz when I re-corked it, but the cork had a hole in it and the wine began to go off.