Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs down NHRA Ford Drivers React To Ford's Withdrawal Statement

Bob Tasca III’s first word was probably “Ford.” The automaker’s presence has been the thread woven through the family fabric, binding generation to generation, interlacing their collection of Rhode Island and Massachusetts dealerships to their passion for design and racing. The Tascas have been friends with Henry Ford and his family through the decades.

John Force has earned 72 of his NHRA-record 135 victories in Mustangs since switching to Ford bodies in 1997. His organization has accounted for 11 of the last 16 NHRA Funny Car series titles and nearly 75 percent of Ford’s victories in the class (156 of 219), as well as almost half (49.3 percent) of all Ford pro triumphs (156 of 316 in Funny Car, Pro Stock and Top Fuel). In their 17 years with Ford, JFR cars have won 42 percent of their NHRA national event races (156 of the 372).

On a more emotional side, the 15-time Funny car champion said, “I don’t know if we could have come back from the [2007] loss of Eric Medlen without the support of Ford and the Ford Racing engineers, and for that we will always be grateful.”

Moreover, Ford supported him when he sustained devastating injuries in September 2007. And the car company always will be associated with the pro racing debuts of his three youngest daughters.

With Ford’s resources, steadfast independent Tim Wilkerson has been able to prove further what he can do on the racetrack in his Levi, Ray & Shoup entry.

So for each of them — Tasca, Force, and Wilkerson — last Friday morning’s five-sentence bombshell shattered their worlds.

The automaker said in a statement, “Ford is not getting out of drag racing. We are fully committed to continue our support of grassroots sportsman drag racing with our Mustang Cobra Jet, parts support, and contingency programs. Enthusiasts and production-based racing is at the heart of what we do.
The bottom line is I love Ford. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Ford. Tasca Racing has no plans on leaving the sport. We believe in this platform: ‘Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. – Bob Tasca III
“We have, however, made a business decision to conclude our team sponsorships and support in the NHRA Mello Yello Series at the end of the 2014 season. This decision was based on an ongoing assessment of our motorsport programs’ effectiveness and the strategic alignment with our company objectives globally.”
Tasca was the lone driver to second-guess Ford’s decision publicly, saying, “For Ford to make a decision to pull out of professional drag racing, I truly believe they have underestimated the passion and loyalty of the NHRA fans. It is a sad day for all Ford drag racing fans.”

But, like the others, he promised that he isn’t abandoning the sport, either.

“The bottom line is I love Ford. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Ford,” Tasca said. “Tasca Racing has no plans on leaving the sport. We believe in this platform: ‘Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday.’

“I have already begun working on sponsorships for the 2015 season and beyond. Expect a big announcement from Tasca Racing sometime next season . . . when the time is right. Until that time, I look forward to a successful 2013 and 2014 season with Ford, Motorcraft and Quick Lane.”

Wilkerson simply thanked Ford.

“While there’s definitely some disappointment, I just want to say how thankful and proud we’ve been to be a part of the Ford Racing family in the Funny Car class. We’ve enjoyed every minute of it, and we’re proud of how we represented the company since we came on board in 2009,” he said.

“We also appreciate Ford giving us this much advance notice so we can adjust and make our future plans over a good length of time. For now, we’re just going to look forward to having a strong finish here in 2013 and then on to a great 2014 with Ford. It’s been an honor to be associated with them.”

JFR Auto Club Mustang driver Robert Hight, president of JFR, said, “We didn’t see this coming. But we still have a year and a half. A year and a half is a long time. And we still have a job to do for them. We’re going to try to get two more championships for Ford before they go out. And we’ve got a lot of other great sponsors on board, too.”

Force took the hard-hitting news with respect and resilience . . . and his trademark sense of humor.

“It’s been a great run, and our goal over the next 18 months is to continue to represent Ford as we always have,” he said. “We’re proud of what we’ve done on the track, But I’m more proud of what we did off the track. With Ford’s help, we completely redesigned a Funny Car chassis that hadn’t changed in 25 years. And we helped make the sport better for everyone, not just the Ford teams.”

He said, “Ford made a decision, and I respect that decision. They’re a lot smarter than me.”
It’s been a great run, and our goal over the next 18 months is to continue to represent Ford as we always have,” he said. “We’re proud of what we’ve done on the track, But I’m more proud of what we did off the track. – John Force
The suddenly short-term association is nothing new for Force.

He quipped, “Honestly, at my age, a year is a lifetime. When I signed with Wendy’s and Jolly Rancher (in the 1980s), they would only give me one-year deals. I still have a job to do, and I never count on just one sponsor to make JFR a success.”

He said Ford’s executives and engineers “were a big help with the chassis program, and I can never thank them enough for all the safety help.

“I have two options moving forward,” Force said. “I can start selling chassis, motors, and paint to other race teams, which I have the capability of doing right now. Or I have to find a new manufacturer – and that door could be open any day.

“I have made some changes to my team to put us in position to win for the future,” he said, “and with these young drivers and crew chiefs we can adapt. So this is an exciting time. There will always be bumps in the road. It’s a challenge, and I love challenges.”

He put it in perspective: “It ain’t like I lost my wife. That would be a real problem. When those wives go, they take all of the money, not just some of it.”

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-fo...awal-statement

I am stunned honestly

Daz...

Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post