Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Cart Wheel & Misc. Junk Identification

I’ve stumbled on four of these. The steel band rim is bolted on, and is about 38mm wide.
Any thoughts on what they’re off, please? (I know, I know - Gaso’s first truck, some may say…)
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Cart Wheel & Misc. Junk Identification

Possibly from an old horse drawn farm hay mower (or similar farm equipment such as a horse drawn hay baler) Do a Google image search on "horse drawn farm hay mower" .

Last edited by aussiblue; 03-10-2023 at 04:29 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Could be anything, there were plenty of old wheels like that laying around when I was growing up on the family farm. My guess is a hay rake similar to below.

4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 06:17 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

You’re both probably right about farm equipment. As I’m in a coal town, was first thinking maybe from an old mine cart. They’re not all the same either - my error.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:01 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Couple of older Ford parts. There was a sealed beam headlight and bucket as well, but they were no good.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
As I’m in a coal town, was first thinking maybe from an old mine
Coal mine skip wheels usually had more substantive spokes to carry the weight and usually had rims designed to run on rails even when hand pushed by minors or pulled by donkeys. They could be part of an old Horse Gin or Whim Gin used at a mine head though especially as the square shafts on the bottom two suggest the were design to be driven rather than pulled or at least to drive something as they were pulled. This sort of thing:

Or even part of a steam powered winding wheel assembly. these sort of things:

Are there any historic photos on the mine heads and winding wheels on the coal mine sin your area on line that you could try and match them to?

Last edited by aussiblue; 03-10-2023 at 07:48 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Do the two wheels without axle shafts appear to fit on the two with axle shafts?
Old 03-10-2023, 09:46 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I don’t think they do, but haven’t checked fully.