Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
robbyg
72xa

Default Extra tax on tobacco what next?

As we have all probably heard in the last couple of days there will be an extra tax on tobacco, i wonder what will be hit next to fund the governments spending spree, i think maybe alcohol, fast food outlets, macas and kfc to stop the obeisity issue which experts say is more a killer of aussies than tobacco, i am a smoker and like a beer, dont mind the odd macas or kfc feed, it is convient in our busy life style, but i think i will cut down, because the real motive behind this i think is revenue raising and i pay a ******** load of tax already!!
Like to hear some other views on this.

robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Work Horse
Budget Racer

At the same time smokers are being slugged a couple of extra dollars in tax, Victorian police are being issued with semi-automatic weapons.

Coincidence or are the government expecting some trouble from smokers?
Old 29-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Alcohol (gotta protect the kids!!), ETS will eventually get through, wouldn't be surprised if fuel gets a few extra cents. I've also heard mining companies are being looked at to get an extra tax on them.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as long as the money all goes to health as promised I'm all for it after all smokers are responsible for a higher percentage of the health bill that the general population

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
As we have all probably heard in the last couple of days there will be an extra tax on tobacco, i wonder what will be hit next to fund the governments spending spree, i think maybe alcohol, fast food outlets, macas and kfc to stop the obeisity issue which experts say is more a killer of aussies than tobacco, i am a smoker and like a beer, dont mind the odd macas or kfc feed, it is convient in our busy life style, but i think i will cut down, because the real motive behind this i think is revenue raising and i pay a ******** load of tax already!!
Like to hear some other views on this.
yep alcohol will be next they normally go together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workhorse
At the same time smokers are being slugged a couple of extra dollars in tax, Victorian police are being issued with semi-automatic weapons.
Coincidence or are the government expecting some trouble from smokers?
i wouldent put it past the gun happy copper state
Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Alcohol (gotta protect the kids!!), ETS will eventually get through, wouldn't be surprised if fuel gets a few extra cents. I've also heard mining companies are being looked at to get an extra tax on them.
what a perfect time for ealier tax on LPG.
and yes the miners are being look at IE the man in the ground.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Excise [Tax ] on tobacco, Alcohol and Petrol, ALREADY increases EVER 6 months due to the excise being increased inline with the CPI.
Petrol was taken out of this scheme/scam some years ago, and frozen at the present 38 odd cent/ L , when the cost of oil sky-rocketed.
This scheme/scam was introduced YEARS [ 20? ] ago, so that any Govt. of the day did not have to announce the tax increases at budget time. and P off the voters.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I don't smoke but what's with the Government???

First I heard of this tax was today and it comes into effect at midnight? What the?

Next they will advise increased tax on something that does effect me and it will just happen overnight without any public discussion......

Yeah yeah I know they discuss it in parliment but don't we get told of it when it'd been discussed, not after it passed.

Next they will increase gst from 10% to 11% and that will just happen overnight as well

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, Rego in QLD is something astronomical at present. I said ages ago when we got our 900 dollar "TAX BONUS" last year that we will be paying it back more then 10 fold. look at how much power costs now... 480 for 6 months registration on a 6 cylinder.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Simple

After it gets re elected (I bet it will) this Rudd Government will continue to spend spend spend.

I mean waste waste waste.

And then it will raise taxes to pay for that waste.

If you do not think it is a pattern with Labor Governments you need to study some history

Last edited by Walt Kowalski; 29-04-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Instead of taxing tobacco to fund stuff, cut the pollies wages and rorts they've got.

Chances of that happening. Nun and bucklies

As for smokers being a burdon on the health system. Doubt it. We pay enough in tobacco taxes ovwer the years to cover out medical expenses in our later lives. So what's the problem there? People don't smoke, or give it up, where's the gov't going to get the money from for the health system? Introduce a healthy diet tax?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
robbyg
72xa

[QUOTE=samftr]Well, Rego in QLD is something astronomical at present. I said ages ago when we got our 900 dollar "TAX BONUS" last year that we will be paying it back more then 10 fold. look at how much power costs now... 480 for 6 months registration on a 6 cylinder.[/QUOTE

Mate i put my two cents worth in another thread on that topic somewhere in this forum, to be hounest i re registered me old ford with that 900 dollars and loved it but as you say we will pay 10 fold if not more, hate to sound so negative, politicians super and pensions are always in the background the priority.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh I remember they "froze" their pay rises this year or was that last fiscal year? I thought ah how nice of them.. then they stuff up the poor buggers in qld healths pay's for a few months..

Felcen!
Old 29-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they dont say how one doctor got paid over 1million and a nurse over 90 grand tho. (shh)

Felcen!
Old 29-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225859616207

Have your vote but do it before midnight
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TAXPAYERS will fork out $90 million a year to keep more than 400 public servants employed within the federal Climate Change Department - despite most now having nothing to do until 2013

Felcen!
Old 29-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
I don't smoke but what's with the Government???

First I heard of this tax was today and it comes into effect at midnight? What the?

Next they will advise increased tax on something that does effect me and it will just happen overnight without any public discussion......

Yeah yeah I know they discuss it in parliment but don't we get told of it when it'd been discussed, not after it passed.

Next they will increase gst from 10% to 11% and that will just happen overnight as well
Actually 12% is the number being thrown around.

This tax is funny. Was at the supermarket before and saw people walking out with plastic bags full of smokes. One guy bought $650 dollers worth of ciggies. The tax is already doing its job.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far out. Its such a hard bastard of a thing to give up too apparently.

Felcen!
Old 29-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Dodge
i like to be stroked

too many cooks in the kitchen, last trip to canberra i saw 40 or more statesman and LTDs sitting outside palament house, all running so the drivers and cars were cool, i asked on guy how long do they wait .he said 5 or 6 hours today... i said thank god my tax$ is paying for all of this ,but i didnt agree to kill the ozone layer in the process....no comment from the driver
Old 29-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

climate change
rego costs
what pollies doctors and nurses get paid
even the GST
talk about off topic if you don't stay on topic this thread will be closed do you want to discuss this inteligently or what???

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably the only thing Rudd has done that I don't disagree with seeing as though I'm a 16 month non smoker.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
zdcol71
zdcol71

Hey ,watch this,... back on topic..."Extra tax on tobacco, what next"??
(imo,o) Whooohoo!!,who cares what's next. if it stops or keeps 1 person from smoking, bring it on. If smoking is legally and socially outlawed I for one would be happy to see the introduction of 1000 more covert, revenue raising speed cameras to make up the short fall in government coffers.
My response has nothing to do with the hipocrisy of selling a legal addictive drug and raking in billions in taxes on it, rather,lessening the burden on an underfunded and inadequate health system that is bogged down treating and caring for cigarette smokers.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #22
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by samftr
Far out. Its such a hard bastard of a thing to give up too apparently.
Sam it really is, they say its more addictive than herroine and drugs like that, patches on tomorrow mourning, try again
Old 29-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
(imo,o) Whooohoo!!,who cares what's next. if it stops or keeps 1 person from smoking, bring it on. If smoking is legally and socially outlawed I for one would be happy to see the introduction of 1000 more covert, revenue raising speed cameras to make up the short fall in government coffers.
My response has nothing to do with the hipocrisy of selling a legal addictive drug and raking in billions in taxes on it, rather,lessening the burden on an underfunded and inadequate health system that is bogged down treating and caring for cigarette smokers.
Bet you cant wait till booze is banned then.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ban Cigarettes and Alcohol, might be a good business for me to get into, who is up for going into a boot legging business with me?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #25
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Bet you cant wait till booze is banned then.
Nope!! Love a beer
(PS, please refrence my preface...imo,o)!!
Old 29-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Not real sure if under funded, i think its the second largest funded area, the first being social welfare?
Old 29-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha did the same thing in NZ. Announced the hike and did it that night.
Scum bags.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #28
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Probably the only thing Rudd has done that I don't disagree with seeing as though I'm a 16 month non smoker.

They question is why is he doing this .
I wonder if it got anything to do with the henry review all what ever its called sitting on his desk since december. I will bet money there will be a backflip on the plain packaging because the smoke squad have called there lawyers and if we lose we will have to compensate the cigerette companys million or billion dollars cant remember exactly.

Thing is smokers are a easy target and the goverment dont mind milking us at all.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Rejoice! I'm kicking the fags next week, may 8th, my 21st. Don't want to smoke any more, and can't afford it anyway. And health problems. At least this tax is one I have a choice to pay or not.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #30
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Say that when a beer cost you $20 and a cheesburger costs you $30 because i can tell you now they are 2 items that cost tax payers just as much.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post