Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
nlfbt8

Question Information Gathering : Climate Control in LR Focus

Just trying to get together as much information as I can about the climate control system on an LR focus. I'm considering retro-fitting it to my partner's LR Zetec R.

A few of you have provided some information previously about needing to change the whole heating system, and not just the module at the front, which is understandable. I know that this could turn into a very expensive excercise, but I may deem it to be a worthwhile project (especially if it means this will be the only LR hatch in Aus with climate control!).

So, here is what I already know;
  • I obviously need to buy the digital module for the dash
  • I'll need to replace the cable controlled actuators on the heater box with the electric servo actuators
  • A number of sensors will need to be installed (Sunlight, outside air temp?)
  • I may need to replace the whole interior airbox
  • The install will have to be able to be "uninstalled" cleanly ... or else my partner will never let me do it!

If anyone has any information at all, or even some schematics of the climate system, or photos of the original system in a Ghia sedan, it would be greatly appreciated!

nlfbt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best thing would be to get a HVAC from Ghia model and do a straight swap with yours. Also you can get all the controls off the Ghia as well. Call up a few wreckers and find out if they have a Ghia. Would be a very big job! Have to take out the whole dash.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
nlfbt8

By HVAC ... which parts exactly do you think needs to be changed? If I can work out which parts I need, i might be able to source them from the UK, and the bits that I can't get I'll buy new from here ... but I just need to know what to buy.

Finding a LR Ghia in SA is next to impossible ... I can't even remember when I actually saw one on the road, let alone in a wrecker!
Old 17-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on how the HVAC is made. I only know how the Falcon one is made! I have a Focus repair and service manual and I will check to see what it says about the HVAC. You could search other states for HVAC's and get it shipped over to SA. Parts brand new would be expensive. If you sign up to www.ffoc.co.uk they would have done a conversion before. Another member on here named melbzetec is signed up and cost him about $20 for the year. Which is good value for money and I'm sure they can help you out a lot more than the guys here. But I will check the repair manual and I will see.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 17-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

20 pound actually, but there are a large number of discussion threads on ffoc.co.uk on this topic
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
nlfbt8

Hmmm .... looks like I might have to finally bite the bullet and join that forum as a paid member.

On a similar topic, does anyone know what model focus the wiring diagrams in the Gallery section of this forum is for? LR, or LS?
Old 17-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you need wiring diagrams for? I have them in my book as well I could scan them for you

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 17-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
nlfbt8

I was just thinking if I could find one of the HVAC system, I could at least narrow down which sensors, other bits etc may be required.

Is that the red Haynes manual you've got? I'm thinking of getting a copy myself, looks very handy. Is yours for LHD or RHD?
Old 17-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
nlfbt8

The book, that is ... not the car. Duh.
Old 18-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's for RHD and so is my car

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 20-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

european parts have the dash module and the sensors, so that would cut down on what you need from the wreckers...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the wreckers would be cheaper because you wont have to pay for shipping. But that is something you need to get a price on both.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 20-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

very true.
Hopefully if you decide to go ahead you can find the parts. Ive never seen a focus with it fitted, only in photos.

Was it a Ghia only option?
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah only a Ghia had it standard. I mean it would be kick a$$ to have. I would want it in my car. But a huge job to do. After I saw my gf's father take out his Falcon dash to replace his heater core and air con evap. I don't wish to do it myself one day.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 20-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #15
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Check out ebay.co.uk. The parts (second hand) often come up for sale
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #16
nlfbt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Yeah only a Ghia had it standard. I mean it would be kick a$$ to have. I would want it in my car. But a huge job to do. After I saw my gf's father take out his Falcon dash to replace his heater core and air con evap. I don't wish to do it myself one day.
I would have no issues with doing the conversion ... love pulling things apart. : Just finished the trip computer install, and have already done the factory siren alarm install. However, the only thing that is holding me back from doing the climate control mod is the fact that no-one / no-where can tell me exactly what parts are needed (that aren't the standard parts on an LR Zetec). Obivously I'll need the control display module and heater box actuators, but that is all that is obvious.

It's not really the sort of mod that you can get half way through and then realise that you also need part "x". :yeees: If I could just get a list of parts, I would start the install tomorrow. ;)