Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Rs31markie

Default All dash functions stop, and warnings pop up

Hi all, Just wondered if anyone had any idea what’s up with my car. The other day p/steering failure came up and all the dash lights came on, I stopped turned it off and all good after restart, today same thing except this time it wouldn’t start, engine wouldn’t crank over. I’ve searched the forum and most faults like this point to a battery fault??!!! Thanks for any help
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Rs31markie

Default Re: All dash functions stop, and warnings pop up

It’s not the battery, just borrowed the battery from my wife’s old car, which is fine and it has the same fault when fitted onto my car.
Old 18-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be earth connection needs cleaning where the battery lead connects to body. Hopefully its not the Computer playing up. They are very sensitive to low voltage
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
CatonaPC©

Something happened once to my wife's Focus. In that incident, the culprit ended up being alternator failure.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2020, 11:53 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

What model focus do you have. Have seen LW/LW2 Powershift auto have issues with the TCM that cause symptoms as you describe.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Rs31markie

Thanks for replies. Car is a LT manual petrol ‘07. As well as the steering failure it also says ‘speed limiter mode’ Ive recently fitted a new clutch/flywheel I will double check all the wiring connections.
Old 19-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #7
Rs31markie

Cleaned up all earth points, and checked all multi plugs. No fault found. It seems that it’s more likely to happen when it’s warm in the car, so I’m thinking perhaps a dry joint or something? Any help welcome
Old 19-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Try to whack on the top of the dash and see if it fixes the problem I read before that the computer on the dash could be the problem.
RadioactiveX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Rs31markie

Hi, tried the whack the dash it didn’t work. Taken all fuse boxes out and checked all connections all ok, took dash out and did same on that. As said before strange as it sounds first thing in morning car will start, if left outside in the sun by the afternoon it won’t start.
But just been told this morning I’m flying to work on Tuesday and staying there!! So guess the car will have to wait 🤷*♂️
Old 27-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Rs31markie

Just thought I’d give you an update on my car, as hopefully it maybe of some use to someone else. I do FIFO and got stuck at work for 3 months. Anyway came home car wouldn’t start, battery flat took it off and charged it up, car started once, whilst it was running noticed very bad vacuum leak around manifold area, PCV hose split, decided to take starter off and do it that way instead of taking inlet manifold off. Whilst removing starter solenoid wire it was so tight it pulled the terminal out the solenoid. Fits new hose and new starter, still no start.
Was convinced it wasn’t a battery fault, anyway after a bit of browsing on the internet I find a fairly often reported fault which is exactly my problem. Cracked solder joint into dash circuit board. Remove dash and with the aid of a magnifying glass you can actually see the joint has cracked on several connections. After cleaning and re soldering 3 joints dash is back in and car appears to be fine. Several videos of this problem are on YouTube just type in ‘mk2 focus dash repair’ . Sorry for long winded update, hopefully this may help someone out, I believe a ford dealer charges $700+ for this repair.
This user likes this post: