Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
norman A
Starter Motor

Smile Festiva info

G,day all,
I have just recently acquired a 1993 Ford Festiva and I would like to check a few things, such as plugs, points etc.
Could someone on the forum clue me up on the following :
1) Plugs ( type and gap )
2) points gap
3) oil filter number
4) oil and capacity
5) tyre pressues
6) air cleaner number
Norm.

norman A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Billy99
Starter Motor

Norm
From the WA Festiva workshop manual (plus my own experiences);
1 Plugs, gap 1.0-1.1mm, Type NGK BP5ES-11 or BP6ES, or ND W20EXR-U.
2. Points, no need to bother, all electronic.
3. Oil filter Z79A. Watch out for the cheap Chinese imports, I don't trust them; I noticed the sealing gasket is thinner. Stick with a well known Aust brand.
4. Total oil capacity 3.4Ltr, Penrite recommend HPR 15 (15-60W), I used Penrite HPR30 as my old Festiva had a fair few Km on the clock.
5. Depends on tyre manufacture, I used to run about 34PSI. If you have just aquired the car then a wheel alignment is well worth the money (It I'll drive so much better).
6. Air cleaner, VA38 (Valvoline P/N), fuel filter Z198.

Also check the carby float level, can be rather difficult to see. You need to view from the drivers side and get down to eye level along the bonnet line. Needs to be at least midway. I found incorrect float level one of the causes of pinging. Increasing the level reduced pinging. Use at least 95 octane fuel.
If the high tension leads look old it's worth spending the money on a decent set. Saves niggling little misses futher down the track.
Good luck, Bill
Billy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
norman A
Starter Motor

Smile Festiva info

Good on you Bill, thanks.
What you have sent is exactly what I was after.
I should have twigged the Festiva had electronic ignition, one less thing to worry about.
It`s beaut that you sent all the parts numbers etc. As I mentioned, exactly what I was after and the additional advise re the octane rating etc.
I lost my car to the bushfires, including my 100 year old home and all my possessions. The Festiva was a gift.
I thought it was a bit of a girly car until I drove it, but after getting used to the gearbox, I found it good fun to drive and damn good on petrol.
Thanks again Bill, I really appreciate your response.
Norm.
norman A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Billy99
Starter Motor

Sorry to hear about your car and home, tragic, just hope you're getting assistance in other ways. My parents live near Healesville and had a close call with the fires, saved by a wind change.
They are fun to drive, and I think you'll find quite reliable. The engine never missed a beat. Short dap on the acelerator before you crank, then she'll start first time. Great stuff.
If the gearbox is sloppy to select, have a look at the selector linkages; put your hand down behind the motor where linkages go into the gearbox (looks like a minature uni joint) give it a good wriggle, you'll soon feel the play. The bushes tend to wear, but they are cheap and easy to replace.
Cheers Bill
Billy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post