Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Default WA Hoon Laws - 1 Strike Coming...

Well it looks like the WA Hoon Law is going to get some changes in WA....

DRIVERS caught hooning just once on a 50km/h suburban street risk having their cars permanently confiscated under extraordinary, tough new laws.

The new laws, to be introduced into State Parliament on Tuesday, apply to any hooning offence including burnouts, driving that causes damage to the road or property, or driving likely to cause “harassment, fear or distress” to residents or bystanders.

The WA Government first promised laws to crack down on hoons in 2013 ahead of the last state election and for frustrated residents the wait is nearly over.

The Sunday Times can also reveal new details in the legislation including that a single hooning offence in a school zone can result in the driver losing their car, as can a first offence of speeding by more than 90km/h over the limit on any road in the state.

The new laws will also slash the red tape involved in confiscating a car, giving magistrates the power to order a car to be seized for a single offence. Currently, drivers must be charged with three hooning offences before they can lose their car.

Roadworthy cars are auctioned off with all profit going into the Road Trauma Trust Account to fund road safety programs, while unroadworthy vehicles are sold for scrap

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Re: WA Hoon Laws - 1 Strike Coming...

Media portraying hoons as a threat to anyone sanctioned by the government so new laws will be easier to pass with the added benefit of income for their yearly budget.

Fear is the easiest way to pass new laws that produce more cash flow for their budgets.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Particularly given they can't extract income from mining, manufacturing, or large multinational businesses like they could a few years back ....
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
superyob
Banned

Top idea. To many phuquewits think they can drive because they can push the accelerator all the way to the floor...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzF6 View Post

DRIVERS caught hooning just once on a 50km/h suburban street risk having their cars permanently confiscated under extraordinary, tough new laws.
last time I looked to be considered a hoon in WA for speeding you have to be doing at least 40ks over the speed limit

Quote:
The new laws, to be introduced into State Parliament on Tuesday, apply to any hooning offence including burnouts, driving that causes damage to the road or property, or driving likely to cause “harassment, fear or distress” to residents or bystanders.

The WA Government first promised laws to crack down on hoons in 2013 ahead of the last state election and for frustrated residents the wait is nearly over.

The Sunday Times can also reveal new details in the legislation including that a single hooning offence in a school zone can result in the driver losing their car, as can a first offence of speeding by more than 90km/h over the limit on any road in the state.

The new laws will also slash the red tape involved in confiscating a car, giving magistrates the power to order a car to be seized for a single offence. Currently, drivers must be charged with three hooning offences before they can lose their car.

Roadworthy cars are auctioned off with all profit going into the Road Trauma Trust Account to fund road safety programs, while unroadworthy vehicles are sold for scrap
as much as I believe we are becoming a nanny state and don't like barnet I don't disagree with hoon laws

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with most hoon laws however I believe there needs to be hard evidence that can be reviewed rather than leaving it up to the discretion of one officer. I'd hate to think that someone's car could be taken away by the average bloke having a bad day.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:09 AM   #7
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia is becoming a Nazi State to the average dude in the street, what's next !

But if your are a total moron criminal you get all the rights in the world, you can steal as many cars ect try to run the cops, burn the stolen car and do you think a mongrel like that would be worried about the Law, no he wont be, but he will be just boasting in jail to his idiot mates about it all.

Most hoon cases that some idiot is caught doing burnouts and driving like a total moron would be sorted out with a punch in the face and a boot up the tail and the old phone book trick being belted over the head trick, it's effective and been proven it works wonders.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 01:25 AM   #8
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:

Do I live in WA or east Germany. Nazi state for drivers, but other offenders get a free run. You can only push people so hard for so long. Then they push back......

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:30 AM   #9
dutchie393

the few always ruin it for the rest...

The W.A laws here do really make you drive on eggshells.

What scares me internally is the tuner takes your car for a road test, gets busted, and YOU loose your car.
dutchie393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 02:10 AM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But not for drink drivers........ coz cops, bureaucrats, etc do that.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: WA Hoon Laws - 1 Strike Coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
But not for drink drivers........ coz cops, bureaucrats, etc do that.
I never understood why drink driving is not classified with hooning. I guess if someone important got done for drink driving it wouldn't be fair to crush there precious car. But the poor 18 year old kid who does a skid gets his car taken away.

Makes sense to me.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Every government that has implemented confiscation measures is guilty of theft of a motor vehicle. Breaking law 1 to enforce law 2 renders law 2 void. It is one of the core concepts of legalese. A QC with an axe to grind would be able to expose this action for what it is, but regular Joe's... they don't stand a chance. Even a QC would struggle for if an action to repeal the state sanctioned theft came up, the govcos around the country would be up for a huge compensation claim. Not only that, the cops that ordered the confiscation would probably be charged with being an accessory, as would the towies for facilitating the seizure.

But the icing on the cake would be to see the politicritters responsible see jail time. But pigs will fly first...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs

Last edited by Trump; 21-06-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Speling and gramer
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh - do the crime, do the time - simple, a lot of people over here are a little sick of waking up to someones front fender embedded in their front bedroom.

Burnouts, skids etc from little freddie trying out his new engine tune, crack pipe, half gallon of turps etc , filled to the brim with his mates, is starting to become a little tiring.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Australia is becoming a Nazi State to the average dude in the street, what's next !.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
Trump
bitch lasagne

So the government committing a crime to stop a traffic offence sits okay with people?

2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #16
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
So the government committing a crime to stop a traffic offence sits okay with people?
Yep.

If I walk down a crowded street waving a big stick around and endanger people then my stick would get confiscated and I wouldn't get it back.

If I act like a dick in my car in that crowded street and endanger people then my car would get confiscated and I probably wouldn't deserve to get that back either.

It's called taking responsibility for your actions and being aware that there are consequences for stupid behaviour.

Based on your logic I guess we should give Brendan Abbott his shotgun back too...
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Yep.

If I walk down a crowded street waving a big stick around and endanger people then my stick would get confiscated and I wouldn't get it back.

If I act like a dick in my car in that crowded street and endanger people then my car would get confiscated and I probably wouldn't deserve to get that back either.

It's called taking responsibility for your actions and being aware that there are consequences for stupid behaviour.

Based on your logic I guess we should give Brendan Abbott his shotgun back too...
I choose to not swing a baseball bat in public, that is taking responsibility for my actions. Having a third party acting as an authority figure take the bat away from me isn't, it is a form of subjugation and a relinquishment of personal responsibility.

How are people not getting the idea that two wrongs don't make something right??? Breaking a pre-existing law to enforce a newer law renders the latter null and void. It can't be any clearer than that. If a law is to be used to punish an offender, it should be applied to the offender, not their possessions, regardless of whatever crime they are alleged to have committed.

And I for one will never accept traffic offences as a criminal act.

Old 21-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is chirping your tyres away from the lights a hoon offence?

Saw some report the other day how WA police are now targeting people who go over 60 on a freeway on ramp before the 100 sign.
Doesn't help they put the 100 sign halfway down the ramp so you either have to mash the throttle at the sign or try to merge while going slower than the rest of the traffic on the freeway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Is chirping your tyres away from the lights a hoon offence?

Saw some report the other day how WA police are now targeting people who go over 60 on a freeway on ramp before the 100 sign.
Doesn't help they put the 100 sign halfway down the ramp so you either have to mash the throttle at the sign or try to merge while going slower than the rest of the traffic on the freeway.
In Victoria it is.

That is ludicrous. There are a lot of roads that are posted at 80km/h, as such, the speed limit up until the 100km/h sign is 80. If someone gets pinged in this manner for being x amount over 60km/h, they'd have more than a fighting chance in front of a magistrate.

Old 21-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I choose to not swing a baseball bat in public, that is taking responsibility for my actions. Having a third party acting as an authority figure take the bat away from me isn't, it is a form of subjugation and a relinquishment of personal responsibility.

How are people not getting the idea that two wrongs don't make something right??? Breaking a pre-existing law to enforce a newer law renders the latter null and void. It can't be any clearer than that. If a law is to be used to punish an offender, it should be applied to the offender, not their possessions, regardless of whatever crime they are alleged to have committed.

And I for one will never accept traffic offences as a criminal act.
Obviously you are a responsible person LN, but unfortunately there are some who are not, and they are the ones who need to have the bat taken from them.

As far as laws being used to punish an offender and not applying punishment to their possessions, I guess you could argue that needs to apply to monetary fines as well. Your money is a possession that you have to hand over to pay the fine so where do you draw the line?

Lastly, in QLD and WA at least, the offence of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle is contained in the Criminal Code and is not part of the general traffic legislation, so it's obviously always been viewed as being much more serious than a traffic infringement.

I do respect you viewpoint though LN, and it's good to have a bit of debate on these things!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Top idea. To many phuquewits think they can drive because they can push the accelerator all the way to the floor...
Think about what you are saying here.

My brother was picked up by a cop for ALLEGEDLY doing 140k's in an 80 zone.
When he told the copper he WAS doing 80 the copper starting foaming at the mouth making all sorts of threats.

Then when my brother who happens to be a very high ranking AFP officer dropped his freddy onto the road and told said copper he was a corrupt b****** old mate jumped into his marked car and stormed off.

You can as of tomorrow lose your $50k car to this corruption.

Don't for one second think this can't happen to you.

PS. Not saying all coppers are corrupt by any means.

I had a BA 3 valve with no traction control, I have unintentionally spun the wheels trying to turn into a gap in a jam packed peak hour stream. Should I lose my car for that?

This is absurd.

How about we put some actual police cars onto the roads to deter people?
That would be a novel idea!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
My brother
I trust that your brother, the very high ranking AFP officer, got the rego plate details and followed it up.

With regards to hooning, I'm generally in favour of hooning laws but I reckon it should be three strikes before losing the car.

Any idiot can screw up once or twice but three times says you obviously have a sense of entitlement and need to come back to planet earth with the rest of us.

ronwest is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
I trust that your brother, the very high ranking AFP officer, got the rego plate details and followed it up.

With regards to hooning, I'm generally in favour of hooning laws but I reckon it should be three strikes before losing the car.

Any idiot can screw up once or twice but three times says you obviously have a sense of entitlement and need to come back to planet earth with the rest of us.
Nope, no point as he didn't have proof.

It affected him for a long time though, police have to live with daily taunts and this fella shook his faith a bit.

I certainly don't have a problem with the three or even a two strike policy either.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This feels like new world order BS coming thru IMO.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Liza Harvey continues to spruik the community wants this legislation introduced, yet where is her evidence?

The fine for hooning is disproportional to any other punishment for a crime. You could lose your $5,000 Toyota Camry, or a $320,000 AMG GT, for the same offence. It's completely and utterly ridiculous, and symptomatic of the nanny state which is Australia.
Old 21-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #26
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Liza Harvey continues to spruik the community wants this legislation introduced, yet where is her evidence?

The fine for hooning is disproportional to any other punishment for a crime. You could lose your $5,000 Toyota Camry, or a $320,000 AMG GT, for the same offence. It's completely and utterly ridiculous, and symptomatic of the nanny state which is Australia.
Australia passed nanny state some years ago...

Old 21-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #27
olfella
Cranky old bastard

While I have no problem with the intent of this, I do have a problem with the process. Remembering we all are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Therefore it should be up to a court to enforce rather than an official with a chip on his shoulder and a bend towards, say P platers. Laws are supposed to be transparent for us all to see that they are enforced appropriately and not arbitrary.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only they could implement a 1 strike policy on rapists, murderers, thieves, scam artists, union secretaries who steal member contributions, drug dealers, terrorists.

No lets go after a dude doing a skid...weak policies, for weak politicians.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #29
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
If only they could implement a 1 strike policy on rapists, murderers, thieves, scam artists, union secretaries who steal member contributions, drug dealers, terrorists.

No lets go after a dude doing a skid...weak policies, for weak politicians.
How would this work? Confiscate assets?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #30
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

For theft confiscate their left hand. That will stop stealing over night

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: