Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Have you been in or seen The Cannonball/Gumball Rally?

Hey i was just in the favourite movie car thread and i was reminded of the Cannonball run. Im just curious as to whether any of our forums members have ever done it? Or the Gumball(its sister with a bad reputation :P)

I remember a few years back when they did it in australia and some Japanese businessmen decided to do it in a Ferrari F40 and promptly killed themselves when they lost control of it at over 300 and flipped it a few times in the northern territory(this would have been 10 or 12 years ago now i think. i used to have a shirt hehe

Anyway - Have you participated? id love to hear some stories

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the Territory in 1994 when this was on. We followed behind it.
There was some awesome cars. The Ferrari F40 in question was this one.
(no not my pic it's off the net)
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
... a Ferrari F40 and promptly killed themselves ...
I'm not sure they did actually kill themselves but they did sadly kill an official, they were trying to slow for a check point. :

I have seen the movies.
Old 29-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I'm not sure they did actually kill themselves but they did sadly kill an official, they were trying to slow for a check point. :

I have seen the movies.
They killed themselves and two officials.
The F40 was owned by a Japanese dentist,who was driving,they were not wearing their helmets and cracked their heads together as well as other parts of the car.
The car did not flip but slid on loose gravel the speed at the time is unknown but was not 300kph. The F40 had just overtaken a non competitor and saw the check point and tried to get in without slowing and doing a u turn.

The officials were in chairs waiting for the cars to come into the check point and couldn't get out of the way quick enough.
The F40 moved the car it hit about a metre.

There was a monument erected for the officials and the F40 crew but it didn't take long before some scum stole it.

How do I know...I was at the next check point and had to tell all entrants that the rest of the day was cancelled.
Also I was called to give evidence in the court case.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

The cost to enter a car into the Gumball 3000 rally is prohibitively expensive............

Per wiki

The 2008 10th Anniversary Gumball 3000 Rally will take place in August. Cars with neutralized carbon emissions are preferred and proof will be required. The entry fee is £60,000 ($120,000US).
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
DeansXR8

Foxtel has shown a few of them too,American versions...gumball3000(which i think was "cops,cars & superstars") and Carbon Black rally, usually on FOX8 or Fuel TV.

They'd be pretty awsome to go in...one day when the lotto numbers come up!
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Not sure how it will go this year (Gumball3000) after last years debacle where a Porsche 996 GT2 crashed into and killed an elderly couple driving in Yugoslavia or Macedonia

The English driver then chartered a private plane and fled the scene.........
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres always something bad that happens in the gumball in europe, a couple of years ago they were driving though russia(or one of the serpatist from the USSR coutries around it and because they all drive porsches, ferraris etc alot of people got carjacked at gunpoint
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh, i watched the jackass special where they competed in the gumball3000, they had to drive in large convoys because of car jackings.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post