Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #121
CATXR8
OWN THE ROAD

Default Re: 2021 Mustang Mach 1

Its possible that its not a Ford issue but the snowflakes in Australia have said no. Just like previous items deleted regarding honing.
WORK HORSE - P250
CATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #122
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
Do the customers even get what they order on cars like these, or do the dealers make the order first and worry about selling them later?
Well, you can lock in Recaros, appearance packs, Auto/Manual, Colour. I can't see why Handling Pack can't be an option as well.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #123
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXR8 View Post
Its possible that its not a Ford issue but the snowflakes in Australia have said no. Just like previous items deleted regarding honing.
I think Ford put it in the too hard basket honestly. It could've been done. Heck, they could've had the entire handling pack bar the wheels if they wanted. We are not their focus anymore sadly.

They can put flares and big wheels/tyres on a Ranger but Mustang, they aren't interested. The "snowflakes" didn't stop the Ranger so I think it could've been done if Ford really wanted to. And they haven't stopped similar kits on the ZL1.
Old 26-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #124
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well that is a pretty disappointing update, they should have defaulted the handling pack for Australia. We dont get the 350/500 so for not it should have been the top dog, you buy a car like that for the fruit.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #125
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Small volumes in Aus relative to USA
Probably a strategy to keep the best for last and
Gives folks a reason to upgrade
Makes a production runout a tad easier from a sales perspective when sitting on the fence deciding on the best if the last or the first of the new
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #126
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Well that is a pretty disappointing update, they should have defaulted the handling pack for Australia. We don't get the 350/500 so for not it should have been the top dog, you buy a car like that for the fruit.
But you can get an authorised GT500 built in Australia if you have a spare $245K.

https://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au...-shelby-gt500/
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #127
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Cool Re: 2021 Mustang Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
But you can get an authorised GT500 built in Australia if you have a spare $245K.

Yep, and they offer the handling pack option on the car.
Old 26-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #128
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Yep, and they offer the handling pack option on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER

Yeap great car and service but not really OEM so until that happens the R Spec is the top dog and the MACH1 is an option.

I dont see whats so hard with letting someone tick the box, unless they thought Aussies dont have much of an option and they were wanting to keep the cost down.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #129
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yeap great car and service but not really OEM so until that happens the R Spec is the top dog and the MACH1 is an option.

I dont see whats so hard with letting someone tick the box, unless they thought Aussies dont have much of an option and they were wanting to keep the cost down.
Originally, the Americans were not going to supply the handling option on automatic cars
but now they’ve relented due to heavy customer pressure in the USA, so I wonder if that
decision will flow through to the Aussie Mach 1s.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #130
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
The only thing not OEM about it, is Mustang Motorsport convert it to RHD.

It's an OEM LHD GT500 they import and convert for you.

It is even plated, signed and registered on the USA Shelby registry once converted.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #131
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The only thing not OEM about it, is Mustang Motorsport convert it to RHD.

It's an OEM LHD GT500 they import and convert for you.

It is even plated, signed and registered on the USA Shelby registry once converted.
Yeah but its not the same, and its $250k...for a Ford....and a Mustang at that.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #132
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

You will most probably find that the parts in the pack have either not been engineered for RHD and don't fit due to some unique RHD components or the parts don't meet ADR. That would be my bet.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #133
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Compare the prices ...........USA LHD Model US $...,..............Aussie RHD Model AUD $
Mach 1…...……............................$51,700....…... ............................$83,000 Factory RHD
Shelby GT..................................$72,900....... ..….........................$250,000 Post-Production RHD

So let's imagine that a factory RHD GT with all taxes including LCT is double the price of the Mach 1,
that would make it $166,000 ........that would be over $80,000 saved.
Old 26-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #134
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Compare the prices ...........USA LHD Model US $...,..............Aussie RHD Model AUD $
Mach 1…...……............................$51,700....…... ............................$83,000 Factory RHD
Shelby GT..................................$72,900....... ..….........................$250,000 Post-Production RHD

So let's imagine that a factory RHD GT with all taxes including LCT is double the price of the Mach 1,
that would make it $166,000 ........that would be over $80,000 saved.
Do the currency conversion and add GST etc please.

Our Mustang Prices are on “point” !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #135
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post

Isn't the $83K JP has listed the actual Australian buyers price so it includes GST.
I don't think jpd80 was making the point we're paying too much in Aust, rather what a factory Shelby GT would work out to be if using the same factor of multiplication.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #136
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Isn't the $83K JP has listed the actual Australian buyers price so it includes GST.
I don't think jpd80 was making the point we're paying too much in Aust, rather what a factory Shelby GT would work out to be if using the same factor of multiplication.
No take the US$’s and convert to AU dollars mate 👍
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #137
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My mistake if I'm getting your post wrong however, Ford Australia has released pricing on the Mustang Mach 1.

Quote:
The limited edition 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 packs more punch than the GT and bits and pieces borrowed from hot Shelbys. It's priced at $83,365 before on-roads.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #138
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Check my post again, if anything I was praising Ford for giving us Mustang at a decent price.

The list price for the Aussie Mach 1 is $83,365 + ORC, the US price is just a point of reference
when comparing the Shelby GT to the price the import converter is charging.
I've often said that Ford only charges us about $5k-$7k to supply a Mustang here in RHD,
that's good value, the Shelby GT conversion price is nearly three times the price of the Mach 1.

Before Ford started importing RHD GT Mustangs, we were paying about $40,000 more
for converted imports and that appears to be the case with the Shelby GT and compounded
by LCT on what is essentially local labour and profit margin.

Also not having a shot at R Spec Mustang but it's clear that work done to a car post production
gets exponentially dearer the more you do thanks to our lovely taxes.

Last edited by jpd80; 27-10-2020 at 07:41 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #139
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wasn’t having a shot at Mach 1, the price is very reasonable compared to the US version
What I was showing is how expensive a post production conversion is on a Shelby GT,
not that they are ripping anyone off, just the consequences of extra costs that also
inflated luxury car tax and GST on top.

I know it’s not happening but my point is:
If Ford did produce a RHD Shelby GT, they could easily charge twice the Mach1’s price
and buyers would really go for that. Obviously the cost to ford is way beyond any benefit
of expending resources on a factory RHD Shelby GT.
Old 29-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #140
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I wasn’t having a shot at Mach 1, the price is very reasonable compared to the US version
What I was showing is how expensive a post production conversion is on a Shelby GT,
not that they are ripping anyone off, just the consequences of extra costs that also
inflated luxury car tax and GST on top.

I know it’s not happening but my point is:
If Ford did produce a RHD Shelby GT, they could easily charge twice the Mach1’s price
and buyers would really go for that. Obviously the cost to ford is way beyond any benefit
of expending resources on a factory RHD Shelby GT.
But...really what is the difference between a GT and Shelby GT that RHD layout would effect?

Do they have different steering systems? Engine intake position etc.

I cant see how technically its that different from what they already do. And if it is well get smarter and design models and updates so you can accommodate both. Seems like a restrictive and short sighted process.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #141
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But...really what is the difference between a GT and Shelby GT that RHD layout would effect?

Do they have different steering systems? Engine intake position etc.

I cant see how technically its that different from what they already do. And if it is well get smarter and design models and updates so you can accommodate both. Seems like a restrictive and short sighted process.
I understand what you’re saying and to us it would seem a simple thing
but I bet that the whole car has to go through reliably protocol with the
RHD parts, maybe the agreement with using the Shelby name is only for North America?
Old 29-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #142
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I understand what you’re saying and to us it would seem a simple thing
but I bet that the whole car has to go through reliably protocol with the
RHD parts, maybe the agreement with using the Shelby name is only for North America?
The GT350 was also largely developed before RHD Mustangs were even on sale, so the GT500 sharing many of those bits also means that Ford did not have any idea how many RHD sales of Mustangs they were going to get. So they never planned to make Shelby variants available in RHD.

They saw RHD Mustang as a risk that might not pay off. Luckily for them, it exceeded expectations. Now that they have numbers they can work with, they might have a look at it for future Shelby's. The numbers have to add up though.

But I think a lot of the problem stems from drive by noise. It's much stricter here, and in Europe, than it is in the US. Exhausts, and tyre noise with the big tyres too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #143
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The GT350 was also largely developed before RHD Mustangs were even on sale, so the GT500 sharing many of those bits also means that Ford did not have any idea how many RHD sales of Mustangs they were going to get. So they never planned to make Shelby variants available in RHD.

They saw RHD Mustang as a risk that might not pay off. Luckily for them, it exceeded expectations. Now that they have numbers they can work with, they might have a look at it for future Shelby's. The numbers have to add up though.

But I think a lot of the problem stems from drive by noise. It's much stricter here, and in Europe, than it is in the US. Exhausts, and tyre noise with the big tyres too.
Understand, but cripes do what Harley people do and put what is required to pass regs then rip it all off.

Just a bit of short sightedness, its not just us, Shelby is as global as Mustang so there would be some volume in other places too. Builds the brand, halo cars etc etc
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #144
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You're right about the GT350/GT350R being different, I know they have different pick up
points on the suspension but understand that the Mach 1 is basically GT350/GT350R
grandfathered over to Ford. The main difference was the hand built FPC 5.2 is replaced
by the Bullitt 5.0 engine. This is Ford getting a second Life out of its chassis.

There probably was justification to skip the RHD Shelby GT but I suspect that once again,
FORD underestimated it's HP audience.
Old 29-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #145
sr71

Can anyone explain this car’s Shelby status. It’s RHD and for sale for $300k
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-19027682
What do you think of the wide body?

About the Mach 1.
I like it. I’ve been trying to justify getting one. It’s all about the manual gearbox, for me. GT350 !
It’s as good as we're getting. Unless there’s a 2022 Elanour (with A GT500 front bar)
Not a lot to shop against, at this price point, when Manual is a must have.
Jet Fighter Grey should be C-130 Hercules Grey. I’d prefer silver or charcoal.
Bullitt’s Highland Green should be an option.

Mach 1 head light blanks are being used for twin turbo, by a mate of a mate..
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2020, 06:46 AM   #146
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
Can anyone explain this car’s Shelby status. It’s RHD and for sale for $300k
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-19027682
What do you think of the wide body?

About the Mach 1.
I like it. I’ve been trying to justify getting one. It’s all about the manual gearbox, for me. GT350 !
It’s as good as we're getting. Unless there’s a 2022 Elanour (with A GT500 front bar)
Not a lot to shop against, at this price point, when Manual is a must have.
Jet Fighter Grey should be C-130 Hercules Grey. I’d prefer silver or charcoal.
Bullitt’s Highland Green should be an option.

Mach 1 head light blanks are being used for twin turbo, by a mate of a mate..
My opinion is that anything >$120k for a Mustang is serious money and there is a wide variety of cars that would lunch a $300k car that is based off a $50k chassis.

I get the rationale behind the 350/500 not being available here, I still think its shortsighted and typical of an American company. Germans dont seem to have issues engineering for both sides with the majority of their range.

I want a Mach1 bad, but I am also happy to wait 1-2 years for them to drop a bit. Or, build my own version (gearbox being the only big ticket item IMO).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #147
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My opinion is that anything >$120k for a Mustang is serious money and there is a wide variety of cars that would lunch a $300k car that is based off a $50k chassis.

I get the rationale behind the 350/500 not being available here, I still think its shortsighted and typical of an American company. Germans dont seem to have issues engineering for both sides with the majority of their range.

I want a Mach1 bad, but I am also happy to wait 1-2 years for them to drop a bit. Or, build my own version (gearbox being the only big ticket item IMO).
The other issue that killed the RHD Shelby Mustang is the European drive by noise regulations,
something that also caused problems with the locally developed R Spec Mustang.

When Ford develops these special HP cars their eyes are only on domestic sales and
whatever export markets accept the cars with minimal technical changes.
Old 30-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #148
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My opinion is that ......

By that time it is very likely that the pinnacle car will be available in Australia as the model culminates, wth all the goodies: DCT, track pack GT 500 etc etc

You may end up wanting more (just because it becomes available !)

A built GT may suffice in the mean time
Would be good to hire such a beast at the local track...

Last edited by 383hq; 30-10-2020 at 07:21 AM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #149
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Understand, but cripes do what Harley people do and put what is required to pass regs then rip it all off.

Just a bit of short sightedness, its not just us, Shelby is as global as Mustang so there would be some volume in other places too. Builds the brand, halo cars etc etc
Which is what they did for the R spec. Kept the standard Mustang GT tyres to keep noise down. Took them a few goes to get the exhaust quiet enough too. It was cancelled at one stage. They just wanted one last go at it, and luckily it passed. If it didn't, there would be no R spec.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #150
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Which is what they did for the R spec. Kept the standard Mustang GT tyres to keep noise down. Took them a few goes to get the exhaust quiet enough too. It was cancelled at one stage. They just wanted one last go at it, and luckily it passed. If it didn't, there would be no R spec.
The only reason the R Spec passed is that it is second stage manufacturing by Herrod. If it was still first stage by Ford themselves it would not have passed. second stage manufacturers do not need to abide by the same ADR's as stage 1 OEM. They only need to pass static noise, not drive by from what I understand. That's why and how it could come to be.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: