Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Unhappy What dates relevant to a vehicle supply effect future value?

Hi, Im in the middle of a purchasing experience at the moment and am curious of what effect the big three dates have on future resale of the vehicle:
Build Date
Compliance Date
First Registration

Story...I order a vehicle but colour was still up in the air. They indicated they had two colours,,,I said Id prefer black. The two alternate colours I specifically asked their build and compliance and they're 2010 for both.

Anyway, time comes they say they have sourced a black from another dealer. Past tense, done. I asked build and compliance and the BUILD is 2009. I suggest that would affect my future resale as I'd have to advertise as 2009 and a dealer would mark me down on it.

I get, along with a significant level of abusive comment, the fact that "the Dec 09 build has no affect on the appraisal of your vehicle the important date is the compliance date and the first year of registration"

My question for those in the industry and/or with practical experience, is this really true? If I trade, would they knock me down on the build date? If I sell privately, I'd have to advertise as a 2009 vehicle also correct/no?

Thanks for any help, I have zero joy left in this purchasing experience.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will knock you down for anything they can point a finger at, so yes they will claim it to be worth a bit less because of the build date. This is especially true if you buy showroom stock, which may have been sitting there for 12 months, but not registered. I have had this experience with our dealer. The upside is that you should be paying less for it as a new car purchase.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Nope, price is the same....

The other two colours weren't even landing until later in Feb.

For the record the difference is negiligible in time at 12/09 build 01/10 compliance. But as a novated vehicle Im mindful of its 'end' value

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Nope, price is the same....

The other two colours weren't even landing until later in Feb.

For the record the difference is negiligible in time at 12/09 build 01/10 compliance. But as a novated vehicle Im mindful of its 'end' value

Then they are playing games - look for a '09 build plate around March as they become noticeably discounted. This is where playing the waiting game can help.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

If you have ordered a 2010 car and have been given a 2009 car, I'd say
"no thanks, where's the one I ordered?". If they give you a hard time, take back
your deposit and go elsewhere.

If they are selling you a car, I'm sure the story is "there's no difference".
If they are buying your car as a trade, I'm sure they would offer you less.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Phone another dealer and ask if you were trading would they go by build date or compliance that would affect my trade value. It might set you mind at ease.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Just been thru this with a new Honda Accord Euro Luxury..

My mate ordered a 2010, and it had 2010 on the contract he signed, the car turns up and its 26/12/2009 plated and all documents state 2009, insurance, rego the whole works. We went into the dealer on the day he picked it up and blew them up to the point where they gave him $1500 worth of free accessories..

The moral of the story is, if its build is 2009 then its appraised on 2009 at trade in time. Most dealers only look at the rego sticker and the year date on the rego sticker is the build date, not the aussie compliance.

The only reason we took this car in this case was because we negotiated it cheaper then a 2009 runout to start with (yes we worked them hard) then got another $1500 worth of value.. But unless your saving money on a 2009 tell them to shove it.

P.s. what sort of car is it?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Kryton

Its build date.
Your buying an 09 model - plain and simple.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Its build date.
Your buying an 09 model - plain and simple.
Yep agree.
My GT was bought Feb 08 ,but built late 07. 55k driveaway because of it.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
TP351
Lurker

If it's a Falcon or Territory (which it should be! ) Ford are giving massive rebates at the moment on 09 build cars. I'm buying an XR6 atm and got about $5k off the price as a result. If it is a Falcon/Terri, the dealer is pocketing the extra cash......... :

Once a car is a few years old, build date is everything in regards to value!
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
If it's a Falcon or Territory (which it should be! ) Ford are giving massive rebates at the moment on 09 build cars. I'm buying an XR6 atm and got about $5k off the price as a result. If it is a Falcon/Terri, the dealer is pocketing the extra cash......... :

Once a car is a few years old, build date is everything in regards to value!
It sounds like an import to me, with factory bulid date and then a compliance date..

Fords in aus only have compliance date.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Could be a Focus or Mondeo perhaps?

For the OP - Build date is key

I had them write into my contract that my car was a 2009 build otherwise I wouldnt accept delivery (purchased car april 2009 - was a March 2009 build)
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post