Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
kylz4
Starter Motor

Default 3 car seats in mondeo zetec hatch?

As the title suggests i was just wondering if you can or think you could fit 3 car seats in the hatch. It seems a bit roomier than the mazda 6 so i'm hoping!!! It would be 1 slimline booster and 2 forward facing seats.

kylz4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I've got one in mine, but I think some others have two. The Mondeo is a big car, but I don't know it it will handle three across. I think it's wider than the 6.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We can fit (just, but only 2 normally) 3 across the back of our Corolla.... would imagine 3 across the back of the Mondeo wouldnt be hard... as its almost as wide a falcon....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Zippy7

It would depend on the type/design of the child restraint.
We had 2 older style seats, and we could fit a smaller booster in the middle.
With our newer "captains chair" style, I don't think we could fit the small booster in the middle. Also, a reminder that the seat belt buckle is awkwardly placed (recessed down in the seat), so it's gonna be awkward to get to when restraining a child.
Old 21-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I have 2 of the newer safe and sound forward facing seats and they are quite wide so 3 wouldn't fit. I think you'll just need to be selective with which seats you use. I have a friend with 3 little ones and he has managed to cram all the seats into his mazda6. You may want to give a company called Littles a ring (google them) as they should be able to offer advice.
Good Luck.
Old 22-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
I have 2 of the newer safe and sound forward facing seats and they are quite wide so 3 wouldn't fit. I think you'll just need to be selective with which seats you use. I have a friend with 3 little ones and he has managed to cram all the seats into his mazda6. You may want to give a company called Littles a ring (google them) as they should be able to offer advice.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the heads up on Littles too. I called them up re my seat moving, and the guy was away until last week. I also found out that the seatbelt wasn't buckled in either! Don't know who un did it or for how long it was like that. Paid $30 to a dude in Werribee to re-fit it, and you are right, there isn't much movement.

The guy also told me to put a towel behind the seat where it touches the seat back, it stops the leather being bruised.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 22-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HA ha! Reminds me of when I used to have my old EL many moons ago, had baby twins and 4 year old. Two capsules and a baby seat, later two baby seats and a booster.

Dunno if the mondeo could do it.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
HA ha! Reminds me of when I used to have my old EL many moons ago, had baby twins and 4 year old. Two capsules and a baby seat, later two baby seats and a booster.

Dunno if the mondeo could do it.
I've got a mate with that exact combo! He has a Disco and manages to put them all across the back.

Must have made for some interesting trips for you! I've got three older siblings, and it always meant I was in the front between mum and dad (bench seat, lap seat belt only) and my three siblings jammed into the back seat. No A/C, vinyl seats, different now.
Previous:
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Old thread resurrected.

Does anyone have three child seats across the back of their Mondeo?

If yes, what sort do you use?
Previous:
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Member on the XR5 turbo forum had 3 across the back seat in his Focus XR5. Mondeo should be wider
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Old thread resurrected.

Does anyone have three child seats across the back of their Mondeo?

If yes, what sort do you use?
I had 2 installed at Xmas and just out of curiosity I measured the space in between and it would not have fitted a third one they do take up space from the sides BUT I had 2yr+3yr ones installed

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'll find out tomorrow for sure but we believe we may have to fit two new babies at once and one who will be three.

I have one captains chair style fitted at the moment and may need to get a thinner one to put two rear facing ones in at once.
Previous:
Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I have had an addition to the family since I last replied to this thread and have 3 seats across the back of the Mondeo. Two are the safe and sound compaq seats which my 1 and 3.5 year old use. My 5 year old is in a safe and sound maxi rider which is quite wide. I installed the maxi rider in the middle and have the slimline compaq's on each side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (139.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Thanks Superoo!
My 29 month old is in the same one as in the middle.
I take it those others can be rear facing as well? I might need two of them at once, so putting the wider one in the middle makes sense.
I do have another seat in the garage but I don't think it is a compact model.
We did get something about hiring slim capsules for $90 for three months which might be a good option.
Open to suggestions and seeing it done is ver helpful.

Thanks again!
Previous:
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I take it those others can be rear facing as well?
Yes they can. Had my one year old rear facing in the compaq until recently.
Hiring may be a good option - guess it just depends on how long you think you'll need them.

I'm keeping a keen eye on the diesel territory at the moment. The mondeo has been great and I'll keep it for driving to work duties but the kids don't get any smaller!

Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 3 car seats in mondeo zetec hatch?

Just thought I would share some details.
I have 3 baby seats in the back with no problems.

Safe-n-Sound Maxi Rider AHR (forward), Safe-n-Sound Meridian AHR (reward/middle), Safe-n-Sound Maxi Rider AHR (forward). So yes it can be done!

As a heads up, I could not fit the above combinations in my previous VW passat 125TDI Highline Wagon or Honda Accord Euro Luxury. So the Mondeo trumps them there!!!

I also have the following in my (current model) Mitsubishi Lancer (work car); Safe-n-Sound Hi-Liner, Safe-n-Sound Compaq Deluxe (reward/middle) and Safe-n-Sound Compaq Deluxe (forward).
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those compaq ones are the narrow body seats... ?? Im lucky now my oldest is too big for a booster and perfect size to fit in the middle..... But always nice to have the additioal space with the narrow seats.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just an update; the seats are now turned around and all are forward facing. Safe-n-Sound Maxi Rider AHR (forward), Safe-n-Sound Meridian AHR (forward/middle), Safe-n-Sound Maxi Rider AHR (forward). So yes it can be done and with ease!
Old 30-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The following is an extract from a post I posted on the VW Watercooled forum a whils back when I had a Passat; I thought it might help others here also...

The width of a Touareg (first generation) is 1928mm.

With Bub no.3 due in January, we now have to ensure 3 baby seats will fit also.

I cant help you answer the above question, however the following are my findings as I am going through the same thing at the moment trying to source 3 baby seats for the Passat;

Passat Exterior width: 1820mm
Interior (rear) usable width (inner door handle to inner door handle) i.e. narrowest part from door to door: 1333mm

Here are some other cars I am now considering (Comparable interior widths);
1500mm Toyota Torago
1480mm Ford Territory
1450mm Falcon Sedan
1420mm Toyota Kluger
1420mm Holden Sportswagan
1400mm Ford Mondeo MC
1380mm Honda Accord Euro
1370mm Toyota Aurion / Camry
1350mm Citreon C5
1350mm Opel Insignia Select
1300mm Mitsubishi Lancer (new shape)
1300mm Holden Captiva LX
1300mm Skoda Supberb

Considering that a safe n sound Compaq is 440mm wide, to fit 3 = 1320mm

So things are looking to now be a squeeze.

I have taken our two baby seats out; Safe n Sound Meridian and Maxi Rider AHR.
We are going to a baby shop tomorrow to conduct a test fit of suitable baby seats.

If we can't make it fit, looks like I will need to sell up and get a Falcon...

Will keep you up to date on the outcome...