Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Default Ford Marketing, or lack of it!

Maybe I am missing something here, but marketing from Ford Australia seems to be non existent. Ford have some very good cars, but no one seems to know about them, I think I have seen about 3 ads on TV for the new Territory and I can’t remember the last time I saw a Falcon advertised anywhere. How do they expect to sell cars when no one knows about them! The media doesn’t help either, Wheels has been trying to kill the Falcon ever since the XD and whenever holden puts in a new cup holder the media go ga ga.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: Ford Marketing, or lack of it!

Hey mate, there has been a few threads on this topic in the past. Ford don't seem interested in selling their product, and when sales drop, they discontinue lines.

Ford will just fade away and we will have to by Holden, Toyota, Nissan, etc.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread topic has been done to death!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes it has been repeated...but, you must be loving under a rock not to have noticed fords ramp up over the last 6 odd months. Some good product placement too.

GMH is into shotgun properganda, fords approach is far more targeted, both have their pros and cons.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am one of the biggest whingers about Ford advertising, or lack thereof, of the Falcon range. They advertise plenty about the smaller cars, with clever and catchy adverts on TV that people remember.
However, the Falcon? Nope. Bugger all except for a couple of special offer deals at certain times but they seem to be made by local dealerships.

The Territory has an amazing ad campaign going...memorable, clever adverts, which showcase the product very well, especially the diesel variant (kind of wish I'd have hung on now instead of buying the G6E and got a diesel new-shape Tezza... ). But the Falcon itself? Three-eighths of half of bugger all...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would actually have to disagree. There has ben a very big ramp up after the visit from Ford global marketing head. I think some butt kicking took place or a pair of bolt cutters was supplied to open up the marketing purse. In fact when watching Rush on tv last night I don't know which was more entertaining, the plot line or the G6ET and Terry cars in every scene and the prominent referral to Ford supplying them... I'd say when FGII is ready it's turn for a good campaign will start based on what's happened so far recently.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

marketing takes shape in many different forms, but some people will never be happy until they see a falcon ad on tv on every station in every ad break!!

hands up how many people have bought a new car as a direct result of seeing an ad on tv!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I would actually have to disagree. There has ben a very big ramp up after the visit from Ford global marketing head. I think some butt kicking took place or a pair of bolt cutters was supplied to open up the marketing purse. In fact when watching Rush on tv last night I don't know which was more entertaining, the plot line or the G6ET and Terry cars in every scene and the prominent referral to Ford supplying them... I'd say when FGII is ready it's turn for a good campaign will start based on what's happened so far recently.

Tend to agree, look at ford supplying territory's, focus and ranger to farmer wants a wife. Not all advertising is in your face.

I haven't seen an ad for coke in ages, marketing must be not there.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree
Maybe I am missing something here, but marketing from Ford Australia seems to be non existent. Ford have some very good cars, but no one seems to know about them, I think I have seen about 3 ads on TV for the new Territory and I can’t remember the last time I saw a Falcon advertised anywhere. How do they expect to sell cars when no one knows about them! The media doesn’t help either, Wheels has been trying to kill the Falcon ever since the XD and whenever holden puts in a new cup holder the media go ga ga.
I've seen a heap of Ford ads lately, especially the Territory. Focus has started and Ranger will start in a few weeks.

Then its Falcons turn. Of course the advertising will increase when you have a new product to sell.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Again?????

If you want the car, go and buy one. Don't whinge about not having a man on TV telling you to buy one.

And another thing, any body with enough money to buy a new car, will generally shop around and see what different brands have to offer.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
While this thread has been done to death agree with you here. The marketing has been much improved as new models come on line. Marketing has moved past television onto media such as Facebook etc. Television is an expensive form of advertisement and product placement, sponsorships etc can reap more benefits as they put the product in a different light. I won't be buying my next Falcon based on advertising. When/if the XR8 ute arrives I intend on doing it the old fashion way. Going down to the dealer and going for a test drive. If it meets my expectations and price is good, then Ford can scratch one sale up to a good product.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But when the Falcon is your "basic big family model" in the range, then you would think they'd push it a bit more...at least as much as Holden pushes the Commodore.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
But when the Falcon is your "basic big family model" in the range, then you would think they'd push it a bit more...at least as much as Holden pushes the Commodore.
That's because Holden are the Commodore Motor Company, Ford is Ford Motor Company, not Falcon Motor Company. Profits aren't made on the back of one vehicle line.

Now with the FGII, Ford have a reason and an excuse to promote the Falcon.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Gotta say I have seen a heap of FPV ads on SA tv in the last week or so, then I noticed some print ads so they seem to be ramping up a bit.
Old 16-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Interesting reading in the South Aussie Advertiser today. Ford Falcon is being downsized by offering a 4 cylinder engine. Reason given is because Ford are being outsold 3 to 1 by other manufacturers, Toyota and Holden.

Maybe that's when they'll start advertising the Falcon

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Interesting reading in the South Aussie Advertiser today. Ford Falcon is being downsized by offering a 4 cylinder engine. Reason given is because Ford are being outsold 3 to 1 by other manufacturers, Toyota and Holden.

Maybe that's when they'll start advertising the Falcon
Ford are offering a direct injection turbo 4 cylinder engine.....I mean its fairly new news here. Its only been discussed for the last two years. As for downsizing it'll make the 3L commo look like the old starfire.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Havent seen a Falcon add in nearly 12months...

The Territory add (the towing ice up a mountain add) I have seen a few times but appears to have died off. The first Territory add about the full tank of petrol ran about 6months ago and hasnt been seen since.

Havent seen any adds for the Ford Ranger at all in well over a year....

Only the Fiesta seems to be advertised on a regular basis... and the new Mondeo add...

But then again I havent seen a Commodore add in 2 weeks!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Havent seen any adds for the Ford Ranger at all in well over a year....
ford have a banner round a substantial part of the fence at the MCG during this boxing day test.

plenty of exposure.
Old 28-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ford are offering a direct injection turbo 4 cylinder engine.....I mean its fairly new news here. Its only been discussed for the last two years.
rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
As for downsizing it'll make the 3L commo look like the old starfire.
Was the Starfire that bad?
Old 28-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #20
martyk54

I'm going to add a rant here regarding Ford dealer staff with regards to marketing. They simply don't know **** about what they're selling. As the face of the company essentially, they are generally terrible. I've been buying Fords myself for nearly 10 years (leasing), having gone through many different dealers and spoken to a heap more. The amount of times I've needed to educate them about certain cars is embarrassing.

For christ sake, the knowledge required for this line of work is so damn narrow... these guys should know everything there is know about each Ford model (within reason) and good background knowledge of the competitors products. More importantly they should be able to explain why the Ford model is superior to it's rivals. Ford dealers have also had the luxury of having cars that have either been class leaders or highly competitive too! It's not like they've gotta convince you to buy rubbish like Cruze or Captiva.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #21
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
I'm going to add a rant here regarding Ford dealer staff with regards to marketing. They simply don't know **** about what they're selling. As the face of the company essentially, they are generally terrible. I've been buying Fords myself for nearly 10 years (leasing), having gone through many different dealers and spoken to a heap more. The amount of times I've needed to educate them about certain cars is embarrassing.

For christ sake, the knowledge required for this line of work is so damn narrow... these guys should know everything there is know about each Ford model (within reason) and good background knowledge of the competitors products. More importantly they should be able to explain why the Ford model is superior to it's rivals. Ford dealers have also had the luxury of having cars that have either been class leaders or highly competitive too! It's not like they've gotta convince you to buy rubbish like Cruze or Captiva.
Why should they have a knowledge of a competitors car. They are there to sell Fords, not Holdens. I have done sales in the past and bad mouthing a another brand product is a no no. The reason for this, if you get told something from a Ford sales person about a Holden, and then go to Holden and find out it is not true, the trust of the Ford sales person is lost. But I do agree that the Ford sales person should know about there own product.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Why should they have a knowledge of a competitors car. They are there to sell Fords, not Holdens. I have done sales in the past and bad mouthing a another brand product is a no no. The reason for this, if you get told something from a Ford sales person about a Holden, and then go to Holden and find out it is not true, the trust of the Ford sales person is lost. But I do agree that the Ford sales person should know about there own product.
I think you're off the mark there - you can't ever have enough knowledge.

He didn't say they should bad-mouth the competition - a good salesperson knows not to do that anyway.
At the very least, knowing the opposition's products enables a salesperson to highlight the positive aspects of their own against theirs. They should even go out and test drive other cars - especially when/if their product is so good; that promotes a lot more confidence when selling.
An example of this: if you're driving an FG you'll notice that the visibility is as it should be, i.e., normal. Then go drive a VE and all of a sudden your opinion of FG's visibility would change from being "okay" to "***** BRILLIANT!!"
The same can be said about the driveline, the smoothness, interior layout and quality feel, ride and comfort, the list goes on and on. There is no way that a VE has the right to sell over a BF let alone an FG. End of story. If there was one thing that I would point the finger at for this "failure" of sales it would be the sales people at the dealerships...

What is said about them is true with regards to lack of knowledge - it's mainly due to very little passion for what they're selling, it's only a job to make ends meet to most of them, and it's the passion and positive emotion that rubs off the most on a prospective customer. It's unfair that we expect all that from each and every one of them but at the very least they should know the product a lot better, it's their job.

I can't see it being Ford's problem - the dealer managers are responsible for the product & sales training, and I doubt very much that Ford themselves would fall short in providing dealers with any necessary literature, info and representatives. Like has been said, there's very little to learn, so you don't exactly need Mulally to come down and spoon-feed every kid the intricacies of how to sell a car.

The literature is there for customers to read... so why can't the salespeople learn it? Maybe they need to sell something more exciting than cars that could arouse their interest, like, washing machines and fridges.

Last edited by Falc'man; 29-12-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
Rodge
Banned

I can't recall Ford ever advertising their gearbox advantage.
The ZF is a world class peice of kit and is light years ahead of anything on offer from Holden.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I can't recall Ford ever advertising their gearbox advantage.
The ZF is a world class peice of kit and is light years ahead of anything on offer from Holden.
They did advertise it.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #25
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ford have a banner round a substantial part of the fence at the MCG during this boxing day test.

plenty of exposure.
Ad to that after every boundary there's a ranger on the big screen pulling a massive 4 followed by a pic of the ranger with a slogan next to it. And every break there's ranger ads playing.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon ads are needed !!! its okay to advertise the other vehicles..but the Falcon seems to be forgotten??? or is it going the way of the v8, wagon, Fairlane/LTD ??????? death by a thousand cuts????
Old 29-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

people focus too much on falcon. falcon sales are just following the market trend. if you compare them with commodore sales, the gap between the 2 has been very consistent over the last few years. falcon sales are lower so attract more attention, but if you look at the trends of each model, they are almost the same.

they aren't the falcon car company. they would much rather sell 1000+ of all models rather than focus on one model.
Old 29-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
people focus too much on falcon. falcon sales are just following the market trend. if you compare them with commodore sales, the gap between the 2 has been very consistent over the last few years. falcon sales are lower so attract more attention, but if you look at the trends of each model, they are almost the same.

they aren't the falcon car company. they would much rather sell 1000+ of all models rather than focus on one model.
We have a winner! Too post. It's Ford Australia not Falcon Australia!

And fwiw I have seen plenty of falcon related advertising lately. Not everything is on television.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m no marketing expert, so I don’t really know enough to critique Ford’s ads compared to their competitors, but I do know enough to debunk some of the common complaints.
Modern advertising is very scientific, very targeted, and has specific goals. It is developed based off in depth analysis, surveys, focus groups, etc.

To put it very simply, the purpose of advertising a car, is NOT to make you want to buy that car. Ironically the fact that you notice the absence of Falcon ads, means you don’t need them.
Even ignoring fleet buyers who couldn’t give a rat’s, buyers will generally make some form of considered choice. So the purpose of an ad is to expand the pool of people would consider that car. This can be by trying to promote awareness and/or alter people’s preconceptions. Even there the advertising is targeted to specific demographics, my estimating the probability of them buying a car against the likelihood of them considering it. Hence the Fiesta ads, aimed at the young female demographic, which tell you nothing about the car, but aim to raise awareness and promote the perception that it is fun, fashionable & funky.

So in regards to Falcon advertising, ask yourself this question: How many people are there in Australia, considering the purchase of a new car, who could potentially be Falcon buyers but aren’t actually aware of the Falcon. IMHO I reckon that number would be minimal.
So what I would expect to see soon, is advertising for the EB4 designed to convince previous potential buyers who have shifted their focus to more economical medium-large 4 cylinders, that they should change their preconception of the Falcon as being too thirsty.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Here's a little thought, if each 30 second prime time national saturation ad costs the profit of 4-5 cars,
how many ads are you prepared to burn through in the hopes of increasing sales, 200-300 ads?
You've just increased the profile of your product by sinking the profit on 1500 cars, how do you feel?

If you're selling 6,000 cars a month, great but if you're selling 1500 a month, not so great..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post