Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default Just when I thought I had them licked....

I've only just perfected a technique to cut through the crap with these Indian call centre people ringing up selling anything from telephone service to electricity & gas. Yippie! I could cut them short in about five seconds! BUT. Last night there's a knock on the door at about a quarter to seven. We're in the middle of cooking, phone calls etc. I go to the door, open it, and there stands an Indian fella with a TXU monogram on his jacket wanting to explain to me virtues of changing all our energy needs to TXU!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The NT has just passed laws making door to door selling/advertising illegal. Now if they could just get the phone invaders stopped.
Old 26-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Would it have mattered if the person was white, female, cute with legs??

You get all sorts of companies cold canvassing - Foxtel, guttering, etc and so on.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

a young indian guy knocked on my door selling electricity deals a few weeks back. I work rotating shifts, so when someone wakes me up for something that isn't important, I'm not usually too impressed. He wouldn't go away, i had to start getting agro at him before he left...
Old 26-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I've always found the indian door-knockers are way more persistant..
If a hot chick knocks on my door and interupts my sleep by trying to sell me something, i'll be just as unimpressed as if it was the indian guy. though i wouldn't get agro to make her leave, I'd just tell her i'll buy one if she gets naked... either that or say "here, talk to my wife" lol..
Old 26-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:

You get all sorts of companies cold canvassing - Foxtel, guttering, etc and so on.
It makes a change from all the Door to Door evangellicals. Ah well, we don't have the electrical company blokes up here yet.
:

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
AUIII

It’s getting beyond a joke, I live on a main road so I don’t know if that makes a difference, but I get all sorts of people knocking on the door. I now just look through the window and if I don’t know you I don’t open the door.

Same as telemarketing calls every day I get home from work there is always at least one usually two messages on the answering machine, they must be on a automatic dialer or something because there is a delay and they don’t hear the phone message so I get a message with someone going hello hello hello and you can hear the call centre noise in the background. This is before the dinner time barrage starts.

I have caller ID and use the same principle as the door if I don’t know the number I don’t answer it. If it’s something important they will leave a message

I feel bad for the people trying to earn a crust doing this crappy work but It would be nice to chill at home after a hard days work with out being bombarded by people trying to sell me **** I don’t want or need.

: : :
ahh that felt good rant finished
Old 26-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
max
LWBforME

Quote:

Yeah I see where you're coming from. The thing is I have no issue with nationality, gender, level of physical appeal etc. But this guy's English was not real flash- understandably I guess it wouldn't be. It makes his job harder, our job as the target audience harder. But at that time of day that time of the week, I wouldn't be receptive to anyone selling door to door. Generally if its by phone or at the door, I insist on receiving some literature so that I can get my head around it by reading and absorbing the information and when the time is suitable for me, then I will make a response.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
XRchic
Hello

Get a peep hole and look through to see who it is... door screening LOL.

Either that or just dont answer the door if you cant see a car out the front that you know. Our friends never turn up unannounced, so we usually know when to expect friends or relatives. The kids mates are always out the front and when ours hear them, they go out - so no knocks on the front door.

If ANYONE knocks on the door while we are asleep (at reasonable hours), we just dont answer it, that simple. And people who we WOULD open the door to, know that and would ring ahead or plan ahead.

But yeah I agree, invasions of privacy are annoying, because if I wanted something, I would have gone out to buy it, or upgrade or whatever... but I feel sorry for the poor blokes trying to earn enough to support their families doing it, which is whyn I am usually not rude to them, unless they actually get too persistant or stroppy.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

To be honest, I find door knocking preachers to be worse.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #11
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Lot's of them "Can't Read" too , (not singling out any nationality , because it's all of them) I've been pretty crook the last 12 months , so my wife puts a sign on the front door when I'm asleep (most days) It's an "A4" sheet , written in RED texta , that says "Don't Knock , sick person sleeping" and guess what , "Bang Bang Bang"

When I manage to get to the door (half asleep) they say " Oh but it's daytime" Geesh , so I feel sorry for Nightshift workers also...My wife doesn't put the sign there for the fun of it. :

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Lot's of them "Can't Read" too , (not singling out any nationality , because it's all of them) I've been pretty crook the last 12 months , so my wife puts a sign on the front door when I'm asleep (most days) It's an "A4" sheet , written in RED texta , that says "Don't Knock , sick person sleeping" and guess what , "Bang Bang Bang"

When I manage to get to the door (half asleep) they say " Oh but it's daytime" Geesh , so I feel sorry for Nightshift workers also...My wife doesn't put the sign there for the fun of it. :
That is terrible. I would find it very hard to stay polite in that situation! Do you report them to their employers or make a complaint? Probably a lot of stuffing around to get nowhere, which Im sure you dont need if you are sick.

Thats just disrespectful.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

normxb - "your such a great salesman what is your name" <<< sarcasm
salesman - "thank you my name is xxxxxx"
normxb - "Good now ***** OFF and ill be letting your boss know you cant read a simple sign on the door"
*SLAM*

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #14
AUIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb

That’s just plain rude , your right they cant read My dad has two A4 pieces of paper on either side of front door that states in capital letters “please no Religious folk of hawkers thankyou” and they still knock.
Old 27-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #15
XRated
Shoot.

I had two in two days. I just leave the security screen shut - they don't know who they're talking to and usually don't try put up an argument.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd just say "No" and slam the door in their face. Fair enough everyone has to make a living but at what expense? In all reality how much sales would be made through door-to-door marketing? If people were really interested they would look for it themselves!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 01:47 AM   #17
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

We had a bloke at the door from some telecommunications company last week. I don't need to mention from what ethnic background. I was on PC surfing forums. I heard wife answer door and say we are not interested. He persisted. She said same thing mulitple times. He asked to see bill. She came to see me. I said very loudly some words which cannot be expressed here. She returned to the door, he was gone. I don't have an issue with them knocking, but when they don't take no for an answer, their implied consent to be on my property has been revoked and gloves are off :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab:
Old 27-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #18
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i just leave the security door shut and walk away quietly so they talk to the door, get sh|tty and storm off...

ive always wanted to answer the door butt naked, just to see what they do...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 02:07 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
i just leave the security door shut and walk away quietly so they talk to the door, get sh|tty and storm off...

ive always wanted to answer the door butt naked, just to see what they do...
LMFAO! Do it!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 02:14 AM   #20
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I answered the door in my boxers once for a jahova they didnt hang round too long so now i try to answer the door in my boxers all the time if i know its jahovas etc..
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #21
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
I answered the door in my boxers once for a jahova they didnt hang round too long so now i try to answer the door in my boxers all the time if i know its jahovas etc..
LOL, your going to be in trouble if one of them blows you a kiss.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 02:30 AM   #22
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha i never thought of that i may need to change my plan of attack lol
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #23
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Went to mates for Australia day last year. Next morning, Mormons come knocking.

Owner of the house gets out of bed stark naked, puts on an african safari hat, grabs his UNLOADED .22 and a glass of scotch and goes to the door.

You can guess what happened.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 05:10 AM   #24
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

^^^ : I would have paid to see that!

Well, except for the naked part. But seriously, what kind of response would they expect the morning after Australia day? :
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #25
Walkinshaw
Two > One

I wonder what the repocussions would be if you just opened the door a bit and whispered to them to get the authorities as you were being held hostage by some crazed maniac......

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post